Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eag

Olympics

Hey, has anyone but me been watching the Olympics? I love them. My favs. are swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball. I guess I just like them all. Give me some feedback. :rolleyes:

Love them too Ann! I love it all...am also happy that track and field has started! Womens gymnastics and swimming events have been pretty awesome too. London has done a good job!

• Like 1

I've adored the Olympics ever since I was a little kid...when I was just 5 years old, the Winter Olympics was held in Squaw Valley and my parents were avidly watching the coverage. When I asked them "why is there so much skiing on TV?" they told me about the Olympics and how "all the best athletes in the world have come right here to California to compete." That was it...I was enchanted, and I've been an Olympics junkie--winter and summer games, both--for the rest of my life! One of the great experiences of my life was getting to attend so many of the various competitions in 1984, when I was living smack dab in the middle of several of the venues for the L.A. Olympics!

I think London's doing a great job of hosting...the lighting of the torch was, I think, more reflective of the true Olympic spirit than a lot of the "star-studded" torch lightings that we've had over the years. When all those copper petals, representing all of the competing countries and lit by those young "athletes of the future" rose up to form the torch cauldron, I literally dissolved in tears!

Okay...I'm done emoting...now I'm just really watching all the competitions! Go, Olympians!!!

• Like 2

Yes I am watching them too. I tend to like watching the stuff they don't show like shooting, archery, etc. Did see some of the air rifle and bicycle. And will watch for the track and field, didn't know that started.

And the Paralymics...I didn't even know about them before this year. Watched clips from earlier times on the net.

:happy: Yes Cherylm I loved that opening also....very special. When I heard those kids had to pay TAXES on their gold medals, I felt like screaming. So wrong :sad: they have spent hours & hours to represent their country & then dump on them like that.

One of my friends who I met at my prosthetists will be competing in the paralympics in London. I happened to be there a year ago when he took his first step in his prosthetic and now...he's running in the Olympics. Everyone watch out for Jarryd Wallace who will be running in the paralympics with the help of the best prosthetists in the USA, ProCare, Beauford, GA. :) You have to love the Olympics.

• Like 1

I've been really happy to see more coverage and public awareness of the paralympics. I was only vaguely aware of them prior to losing my leg, but a good part of that was that there was very little coverage in the US...whenever there was substantial mainstream media coverage of an adaptive sporting event (the coverage of the wheelchair races of the L.A. Marathon has always been a good example), I've enjoyed watching it. And this year, we've been seeing more news features about paralympians, endorsement commercials featuring paralympians, actual mentions of the Paralympic Games...it's been nice, and I'm hoping that there will be good coverage of the competitions!

• Like 1

Well, it says a lot for us Brits that none of us has joined in this conversation yet! I love the Olympics too, and I live a mere half an hour from the stadium! (cant afford or get hold of a ticket, but that;s another story...) considering the UK is broke, I think we've done a fab job and I.m really pleased you all seem to think so too. I have been enjoying the Diving - the team GB pracrice in our town and when I was at the Gym the other day they all came down to the pool for a session. My daughter went to school with one of our cyclists (Emma Pooley) so we've been watching that too. The sailing has been fun as well

• Like 2

Not only watching but attending. My daughter really wanted to go and my sister lives in London so... I was able to get tickets for the men's individual all around gymnastics finals, judo (lightweight) quarterfinals, beach volleyball qualifying and women's field hockey qualifying. Just got back last night. Had such a great time and all of the venues were beautiful. London has done a great job with transportation and directions. I understand a lot of people volunteered to work in these areas. I was kind of dreading all the crowds but it was really a very pleasant experience. I also am really pleased with all the interest in the ParaOlympics. Wish our schedules had allowed us to attend some of those events as well. Cheering for all the athletes.

• Like 2

I've been watching everyday at work and home. I have a cheap cable package and don't get anything but NBC so I've missed archery, my hobby/sport. England has done a wonderful job, none better. I live close to Sault Ste Marie Canada but am a little too far away for their TV coverage. I'm sorta burnt out with them but will miss them when they go away for 4 years.

I had the privelege of being able to go to a few things and was amazing. Saw judo and GB play football at Wembley which was great but quite early on before the real hype got going. Then went to the athletics final last friday and saw Mo FArrah win the 5000m and the world record 4X100m relay with Bolt and Blake and have to say was the most impacting sporting event I have ever witnessed. Went with my wife and two kids (5 and 8) and so pleased to be able to creat those memories for our family. Have to also commend the organisers for making it very disabled access friendly- free parking on site with Blue Badge, very helpful volunteers and everything run incredibly well. The atmosphere was the most amazing aspect though with the noise in the stadium being almost overwhelming at times.

Been put in contact with a chap with a hemipelvectomy due to particiapte in the wheelchair fencing too which has been great (as I am due an HP mid-September- pushed back a month due to surgeon's holidays!). Remarkable chap for swhom sports has played a central role in his recovery. Looking forward to seeing some of that too.

Britain has really shown its true self and I feel proud of being part of that (as a Kiwi in Britain for last 15 years is one of teh few times I have felt tht British patriotism- quite strange to experience, but really very nice!)

steve