Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kaz

Flying to China

Hi all,

It's been a long time since i've logged on here, but life and everything else takes over....:-/

I have a question for anyone who has travelled to China.

Flown often to many countries already, but not yet to China....I'm a bit wary of the airport experience ( the security check, as all us wearing artificial bits n pieces dread, eeek) as we will be flying on internal flights too.

Getting by in English is very difficult, and i'm wondering if a medical certificate certifying that i wear artificial limb is sufficiant?! None of my doctors speak Chinese. Do i need to inform the Chinese consulate when i apply for the visa? I just hope there will be no taking my leg apart at the airport as i doubt that the 'human' factor is high on the agenda there, ahem....

Anyway, i would be very grateful for anyone who has any hints and tips for travelling to China :-)

Thanks

Oh, gosh...I know a number of folks without "artificial parts" who have been to China...I even know someone who relocated to China to take a job and brought masses of technological "gear" with him...but I can only think of one person with artificial parts to visit China, and his experience, I'm sure, was much, much different from the usual traveler. (Went as part of the Paralympic team...sure the entire group had massive amounts of "technical support" for getting in and out of the country.)

But it's an intriguing question, Kaz...so if anyone out there has an answer to it, please offer it up!

I just hope there will be no taking my leg apart at the airport as i doubt that the 'human' factor is high on the agenda there, ahem....

Thanks

Having lived in Asia for many years, I can guaranty that is is much easier and simpler travelling over here then in Western countries. No one in the 18 years I have been an amp, has done more then ask simple questions. A far cry from what some Western countries have tried to put me through. Asians are a lot more courteous then you think.

Jeff

Hong Kong was not a problem yesterday enroute to Melbourne to visit Cat and Mel. But they did require an additional security check transfering from gate to gate. All in all no problems.

Just returned from a week in Taipei.

No problems at all through Hong Kong or Taipei airports - wore shorts on the way back - helps as you can get on the plane first.

On the Hong Kong Taipei leg I was upgraded to 1st class - I could get used to that. Unfortunately that flight was only 1:50 long

Hotel in Taipei did not have any facilities for the differently abled, but sourced a shower chair for me from a sister hotel (we did arrange this before I arrived) Everywhere I went they could not have been more helpful

Security in Hong Kong and Taiwan very similar to New Zealand with no problems once I explain why I set off the metal detectors. Australia (on previous trips) usually a bit more difficult to deal with - never had the 'opportunity' to experience the TSA in the US

David

Thanks for all your replies :-)

I Just got back a few weeks ago from a very interesting trip.

Passing security went smoothly except for one occasion at Xian, where the check was quite rigorous (even with med certificate) Otherwise there was really no problem at all. (Beijing, Xian, Zhangjiajie, Hong Kong airports)

Hey JV, you made it to see Cat and Mel, woweee! you guys must have had a great time :-)

Hey JV, you made it to see Cat and Mel, woweee! you guys must have had a great time :-)

:biggrin::tongue: