Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snuba

Scuba Trip

Pictures from a recent trip to Honduras. Thought you guys would get a kick out of them. Did 7 open water dives, and one night dive. 90 feet was the deepest.

post-2613-0-76154400-1345681539_thumb.jp

post-2613-0-79017500-1345681541_thumb.jp

post-2613-0-85274100-1345681542_thumb.jp

post-2613-0-98036700-1345681543_thumb.jp

post-2613-0-92582400-1345681544_thumb.jp

Nifty! :cool:

That's great. I'm a little fearful of diving. I wouldn't mind trying it in a controlled pool.

That's great. I'm a little fearful of diving. I wouldn't mind trying it in a controlled pool.

I started out in a pool, twice. Have a buddy who is active in .NAUI's "Adaptive Scuba Diver Program."

Neal, I once participated in a "water aerobics" class that, one evening, had to "share" our pool with a "beginning scuba" class. The water aerobics group stayed in the shallow end, while the scuba group learned about equipment and made practice dives in the deep end! It was fun to watch, and very interesting.... :wink:

• Like 1

Did you think about a possible AKA swimming prosthetic? I have a BKA swimming leg and although its not good for walking it does work well in the water for the most part.

Hi Everyone,

I found a fantastic fin that straps onto my shortened leg and lets me get propulsion while kicking. I think I mention it once before but it is so worth telling folks about it again. While seeing my leg guy this week I showed him the fin and he had never heard of it and was excited to be able to spread the word to other folks.

The link to the site is "Shin.com". The owner Marc is very happy to discuss his product and how it works. You have to buy the fins as a set even though I really only wanted one but I've played around with the 2nd fin a bit but for me just being able to get some results from kicking on my short side is wonderful. They are located in Australia so the postage added up. I think it was about $120 total.

The key to using these fins is that your kicking comes from your hips. I use the same technique of kicking from the hips which has been much kinder to my remaining knee that takes the brunt of so much stress. I swim 4 to 5 times a week and this fin works great for me. Last thought is that I use a neoprene sleeve on my thigh so existing scars (like none of us have those) are not aggravated and a addition plus I won't get any sun exposure on the leg. Sun on my very fair skin don't mix well.

Let us know if anyone tries these fins.

Jane

Hi to you all,

I am a recent BKA based in the beautiful isles of scilly in the UK.

Off on holiday to Mauritius next week and hope to have a couple of dives. I am a very experienced diver / instructor but would be grateful for any tips. Do you carry offset weights??? Do you dive with your prosthetic??

Clive