Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
char

blisters please help??

Hi i am just starting to wear my new leg every day,, not all day just a few hours in the morning then a good rest for a few or more hours then wearing it again for a few hours,,i had my op 12 weeks ago and have healed pretty well,, however my scar is bright red and raised but not quit blistered it is damaged as it stung whilst in the bath this morning,, any advice on how to stop this or at least help it please,, i am wearing to socks at the moment that are thin at the bottom and thick on the top, oh and i am a bka ,, many thanks x

Char, is there any discharge coming from your scar, or is it just red and tender? If you are getting discharge, then you really ought to see a medical person...if not a doctor, a wound-care nurse might be a good choice. If the scar is only at the red-and-tender stage, you may just be breaking in the new leg too quickly, or your stump has already shrunk to the point where your leg needs to be adjusted. That would be a matter for your prosthetist. They can advise you about changing the "break-in" schedule for the leg and/or adjust it to fit better.

It can be tricky adjusting to wearing a prosthesis, so any potential problems should be handled right away. Also, remember that a prosthesis that is fitting correctly should NOT hurt...so any painful situations need to be reported quickly.

Good luck with your breaking in...once that is handled, getting back to normal life is much easier!

Good advice there from Cheryl, Char. It may be that you have shrunk down and gone deeper into a tighter part of the socket that rubs on the scar, you might or might not be able to alleviate this temporarily with a half sock or thicker sock, but either way get your leg and the prosthesis checked out as soon as possible. If they have given you an appointment for sometime ahead, don't be afraid to ring your DSC for an emergency appointment, you might also want your GP or rehab dr to look at the scar-line. Something else that may help if you have gone deep and are only wearing socks is a silipos sock which is a sock with silicone on the inside, does give some protection & comfort to b/k's wearing socks, ask about this at your next appointment at your DSC they usually have them in stock.

Hi thank u both for the advice, i wore my gel sock today with 2 half socks to top end of stump,, was a little easier but still very red and raised on removal, there is no oze or gunk from the scar just sore red and raised not even a real blister, i think ur both right and that i am going in 2 far,, grrr only had leg for 2 weeks at the moment i am shrinking and needing new leg every 2 weeks!! thank the lord for the nhs!! i go to the mobility center mon wed and fri so will swiftly get it looked at tomorrow,, am going to wear leg for a hour at a time today and take it easy,, gosh it all change with the stump at the mo looks different every day !!! Thanks again guys x

Good luck tomorrow then Char, hope they get you sorted, I think its kind of expected that you shrink quite a bit at this stage, and the more active you are the quicker you shrink, then can end up being inactive whilst its sorted out, which is a bit frustrating, but usually settles at time goes on.

Hi Char

I've had great luck with using a non-adherent pad over the most sensitive scars. Under the pad I use a product made by Monistate that is designed to avoid chaffing. In my situation it isn't the scars from the amp but earlier sites that have been rehashed over in multiple visits to ER.

Each new socket (I'm a through knee amp since Aug '10, version 4 socket) has tested my skin and its tolerance but if I use the non stick pad I don't have scar breakdown, time out of the leg, unable to swim, etc, etc.... I've tried not using the pad but for me it has cost me pain and time out of my leg. I can't say it will work for you but just an idea.

Best of luck!

Jane

Char, just to reassure you that all that shrinkage is "normal" for a new amp......... I took delivery on my first leg on a Thursday afternoon. It fit beautifully. By Monday at noon, I was "wobbling" in the leg and feeling all sorts of pressure points. I was brand-new to this, so I thought something horrible had happened. I called my prosthetist and was told "you're shrinking...it's to be expected...see you tomorrow for a tune-up." I went in on the Tuesday--not even a full week after I'd picked up the leg--and they glued in some leather padding and told me to wear some more stump sox. The adjustment lasted me for another three weeks, at which point I needed an entire new socket! :cool:

The shrinking will slow down...if you're lucky you'll be "stable" by sometime between one and two years...and eventually your leg will become a familiar "old friend" instead of a constantly changing "stranger!"

Thanks every one am going great guns with my gel sock and then dual thickness sock,, yipee am going for 4 or more hours and taking leg off because i doing as i am told not because its killing me ,, resting for a few hours then the same again so thanks for all the fab advice x