Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Doug

Come on and share something funny

Unexpected advantage!

I found that I can work out in the cold wearing shorts and only get half as cold now.

• Like 1

Advantage: The sock on my prosthetic foot doesn't get all sweaty and smelly.

DISadvantage: The sock on my prosthetic foot gets holes worn in it (especially where the foot connects to the ankle) VERY quickly! :biggrin:

Related advantage: Until more than half of my socks get holes in them, my socks last twice as long!

BTW, gang, for those of you who remember what my lovely new(ish) socket looks like now, I guess the "woodtone" effect is pretty convincing...This summer I've had several people ask me if someone actually carved my leg out of birds-eye maple! I love it!

Advantage: if you have a knee lock, as long as you lean into a corner, you can drink alcohol all night without falling over...

Disadvantage: at some point you'll need to go to the loo... that ruins the advantage unfortunately...

I realise I've just wasted my time at the keyboard...

You did NOT waste your time, OBL...you at least gave this oldf gal a good laugh! :laugh:

Not really amputee related but we've all probably spent more than our fair share of time sat around in hospital waiting rooms waiting for examinations etc.

Today I had to have a urology exam :( and was sat there in just a gown and my prosthetic waiting my turn.Sat opposite was a lady of similar age waiting for a similar exam (the NHS doesn't segregate very well). She was desperately trying to avoid looking directly at my prosthetic and we were both aware that neither of us would be wearing anything beneath our gowns so of course we spent the time discussing the weather - at least I think that's what she meant when she commented how warm it was in there!! Typical Brit small talk!!

A short time ago in a small town in NH a home owner decided to paint her dinning room.......thank goodness cats haven't figures out how to take pictures!!!!

Pretty straight forward project that ended up with an interesting moment or two. First, I am short and at 5', 1". The usual paint roller extension works great for most folks. Heck, my sons would not even need the extension but if they were here there would be a constant stream of "why are we doing this", ...... "the room is fine the way it is"......etc, etc etc. . Hence the home owner works alone with only feline supervision.

Addressing the short factor I sought out the longer pole extender. It does exist some where in the shed but choose to hide from me. A step stool is a no go as the remaining appendage knee component is annoyed with life and in particular with steps of any kind. Vacuums are more easily found - even if not used except in dire circumstances - and their metal poles make for a great extender. Duct tape is a wonderful home owner tool and allows for the roller handle and a paint brush to be attached.

The last part to be done was the base board trim. Sitting on the floor seemed to be easiest means for reaching all the trim. So I gathered the various supplies to avoid getting up off the floor multiple times. As soon as the paint roller pan is on the floor my cat Lucey does her best to walk through the paint. I was looking for a "new look" but that didn't include paw prints no matter how adorable she can be. Intending to get the work done ASAP progress was hindered by my fake leg being in the way. Not needing it anyway I decided to take off the leg. I rolled up the pant leg on my old jeans to open the vacuum seal plug. Once the suction was gone I wiggle the leg intending to then pull it through the bottom of the jeans. 3/4 of the way off it becomes clearly apparent this isn't going to happen. Lucey concurs with this opinion while again trying to take a stroll through the paint pan. The only option then is for me to then get off my jeans from both legs - while on the floor- and trying to not plant a one of my body part in the paint roller pan, bucket or brush that are all near me to make the job of painting the trim easier. As luck would have it the cats didn't learn any photo skills and no friendly neighbors dropped by for a quick hello. The room was painted and the cats not so much.

You gave me a good laugh there, Jane! I wonder what Lucey thought of the "show!"

• Like 1

Not a word was spoken but I swear I saw her eyes roll watching another stupid human trick!