Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kaz

new Triton foot from Otto Bock

hi all!

Does anyone have any experience with the Triton foot from Otto Bock?!

I'm doing a lot of Nordic walking lately and the foot I have now, although good in more day to day activities, doesn't give me sufficient energy back needed for Nordic walking or hiking; I'm getting terrible muscle cramps in my 'healthy' leg. I'm hoping this new foot might be the right one for me.

Any feedback appreciated!

I've got the Triton but, as an above knee, I struggle to feel energy return in any feet.

However, I do have a LOT of experience walking on rough terrain and I can absolutely recommend the Triton for that. The deep split in the foot helps to keep as much contact with the ground as possible and it really helps when you're changing direction and generally doing anything other than walking in a straight line on a flat surface.

Otto Bock aren't exactly known for their feet but having tried a few of theirs, this is my favourite so far.

Hi Kaz,

Although I have no experience with the Triton foot, looking at its specs, it doesn't seem like a best choice for hiking. For Nordic walking or hiking, I'd say one needs to look for a foot which is energetic enough and at the same time has strong eversion/inversion capabilities. I get the impression from Ottobock's site that only their low profile foot versions may be candidates, however low profile versions often have relatively weak energy return and low eversion/eversion range of motion.

I think the following feet may provide better solutions for your requirements (in this order):

http://www.ossur.com/pages/13461

http://fillauer.com/Prosthetics/Ibex.html

http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=15418

http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13620

Note that we've recently reviewed two of the above mentioned feet on our community blog: Ibex foot review, Vari-Flex with EVO foot review.

Best,

Ofri.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys! :-) (and Ofri, for links). I'll give it a try. Hopefully it's what I'm looking for.

I am a BiBK who has used flex feet for the last 15 years or so and I have no complaints about the flex feet. However, I began using the Triton feet a few months ago and am amazed at how much more bounce I get out of these feet generally walking around. Also I find I can walk up steeper hills (I am no hiker, though) with much less effort and I have much greater ankle movement than I have in the past.

I love the ankle motion, but I do find I need to pay more attention to balance when standing.

My husband just got the Triton VS (the one with the shock absorber). He is a left BKA and has had difficulty with rolling over the toe with his prior foot. He loves this foot. The rollover is easier and he feels he gets a little extra push from the toes. He also walks on a lot of uneven surfaces and feels this foot is great for that. If you have problems with balance there is less perceived stability with this foot because of all the "push off". The only possible downside is that the foot shell is fairly soft but that hasn't been a problem for him and he is not delicate with his stuff. Our prosthetist had 3 feet for him to try and doing a side by side by side comparison left him choosing this foot hands down over the others. One of them was a flex foot and both had shock absorbers as well. Maybe you can do a comparison too.

Harperjm and kitkat, Thanks to both of you for your feedback! As soon as I wear it(whole process is just taking forever...) I will post my experiences with it on here.

Old post I know but I have the Triton. It's a cross between the Freedom Renegade and the Ossur flex model. Copies the natural skeletal arching of the human foot. I like it and I use the clear wedge because it felt a bit soft on the heel. It's perfect now. It's the best foot OB has but they need to do more to keep up with the field.

On 10/30/2012 at 3:40 PM, Doug said:

I used the Triton Harmony and liked it.

Do you have issues with the Triton Harmony such as puncturing the sleeve often? Or finding the vacuum no always the same? I had a harmony system awhile back and it was hit and miss. Right now have a Seal In X5 which is easy to deal with but lacks the same grip.