Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jane K

Contact dermatitis

Hi,

I'm am looking to see how other folks have handled contact dermatitis issues.

As a through knee amp my socket and silicone liner end on my upper thigh. Over the last several weeks I have had a rash that runs along the top of the silicone liner and shell. Initially I tried a cortisone cream and using non stick pads to treat and protect the area. Having not much luck improving the problem my Primary Doc. gave me a prescription for a steroid cream. It's helping a bit but not completely. I am set to see her on Wednesday but I was hoping other amps have had this problem and could offer their thoughts sooner.

My legs folks suggest I may need to replace the silicone liner as they be "contaminated and not easily cleanable". Besides the obvious cost it seems like there should be a mean to clean the liners without damaging the material. Would the shell also need to be treated? How or with what? If I do buy new liners how do I avoid contaminating them? I do have an assortment of older sleeves that I may pull out and try just to see if they help. Price is right too!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jane

Jane, when I get a new liner....mine also make me break out along the top..especially if it comes up very high on my thigh. Why? I haven't a clue. To get rid of it, I use benedril cream. After about a week or so,, it will calm down and be OK. :happy:

Hi Ann,

What is odd in this case is these liners are several months old. I always wash them with the same soap - Ajax dish soap - and I've never had a problem like this before. I do swim 3 to 4 times a week and I almost wonder if I picked up some sort of rash from the water or perhaps the step platform where I scoot myself up onto, then get up on the chair and up onto my crutches. I did try not swimming for a few days but with no evident calming of the rash.

Thanks for your input. I'll mention your tactic to my Doc when I see her on Wed.

Have a great weekend!

Jane

Jane,

The Ajax dish soap may have taken time before you had a skin reaction. Very hot water and a mild detergent would be best going forward, and if the manufacturer of the liner recommends periodic alcohol cleaning, do that as well. Lastly, if the issue is at the very top edge of the liner, a very lite lubricant will help to eliminate any pulling that would cause a skin irritation.

Best wishes,

• Like 1

I also use bath soap & always clean w/alcohol about everyother day. :happy:

• Like 1

ditto on the use of a bath soap rather than Ajax! Irritation along the top edge of a liner is fairly common, and a genbtle lubricant can help. Good luck...rashes are miserable things!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts! Can you name what bath soap brand has worked for you that hasn't bothered your skin?

Jane

PS - Completely unrelated point - but today, November 6th is the USA Election Day! Get out and vote!

Jane

Hi Jane,

I am in the UK so may be different where you are (and no voting over here).

In the past I have used different, what we over here call 'bath' soaps, with very few problems, even though I have skin grafting. I had some surgery on one leg a few years ago and going into hospital was advised by people to take in liquid soap, because of infection/contamination etc., which I did. I used 'Simple' liquid moisturising soap, which worked well, however, I use this on myself, not on my liner, as have been advised not to use any soaps on this that contain moisturiser, or any oils.

So on my liner I use a supermarket brand liquid antibacterial soap, which is rubbed on, left for a min or so, then thoroughly rinsed off and dried with paper towel. The only problem I get is mainly between the liner and the sleeve (which is made out of different material) where I get very tiny raised red bumps, which I have been told is a sort of chafing (like you'd get with tight jeans) and that I can't do anything about these ... but they don't irritate and don't cause me any problem. However, I now make sure I moisturise this area at nighttime, and since then they have occurred less.

Also, when I get a new liner, I very thoroughly wash it a few times before I wear it.

I use antibacterial hand soap. Walmart brand works just fine.

• Like 1

Yeah, I also use an antibacterial liquid hand soap...and since I have sensitive skin, I also make sure it's hypoallergenic. As long as it meets those requirements, the brand name doesn't really matter. I've used major "name" brands and offbeat "bargains" with equal success.

I've used Ivory liquid hand soap for years without problems unless I'm careless about rinsing and then I'll get a rash just around the top inch or so. I'll use anti-biotic cream for a few days and It's gone. As a lubricant I use Avon Moisture Therapy but in emergency situation (forgot to pack) I'll use any no-scent hand lotion.