Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

I Am Still Alive!!

Hi, gang... Well, first I was off on a lovely acation and checking in here only occasionally...NOW I'm stuck in a rehab facility and will STILL only be able to check in occasionally!

On the very last day after my vacation, I got home, took off my shoe, and found a very large, deep, and oozing sore on the sole of my foot. I cleaned it up, went to bed (it was the middle of the night), and called my doctor the next morning. A few hours later I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics with a wound vac sucking on the sore! After a week there, I've been transferred to the rehab center, where I am getting oral antibiotics, physical and occupational therapy, and am spening, possibly, SIX MORE WEEKS with the wound vac attached! (Ugh! Sigh! Good grief!)

I'm glad they're being argreeive about this...lord knows I need this foot, andf the treatment seems to be working very well. But SIX WEEKS!?!

There is exactly one computer here for all the residents, so when I'm not in therapy and the computer is available, I'll be checking in.

Wish me luck and SPEEDY healing!

Gracious Cherylm, I hate to hear this. R we all going through a sore phaze. Too bad U don't have a laptop to use. Do U have any idea what caused this. Will keep U in prayer....U get well soon, U hear? :happy:

OMG Cheryl. I'm glad they're aggressive with treatment also. Suck it up girl!!! You do need that foot. I wish the best for you. Check in when you can.

Goodness Cheryl, was surprised to read this am really sorry to read about your foot, but glad they are taking care of you. . Have done rehab a few times, so know how it is and can be what you make of it, one computer is a bonus ... just try and get first in the queue. Stick with it, you can do six weeks, which will be worth it in the long run, take care Cheryl am thinking of you.

Gosh, Cheryl, I'm really sorry to hear the news..... On the bright side, they are being aggressive which is a good thing.... We're here for you when you come back.... Check in as you can........

Ouch! guess a hassle we have is that circulation to our feet is often not as good as it should be, which compromises our bodies immune system, & enables infections to get a bad edge. In this situation, I believe it is best to get a sensitivity test on the infection to ensure that what they select the right anti-biotic early on. There are strains that need to be identified, before they invade further. This sounds like an MRS, which I have heard, that only very good nurses as well are the right treatments can get the better of, it can be down to very precise techniques as well as using the most appropriate tools, which may not necessarily be anti-biotics.

Hi Cheryl,

So sorry to hear about your side trip to rehap. I am glad to hear you are on the wound vac in that it can help heal so well. There are some very new equipment/techniques in their products. I say this as my best friend is a KSI Wound Vac RN / Support person here in the NH and northern tier MA area. If you have questions the folks who are treating you are not answering I can relay them to her.

Best of luck,

Jane

Hi Cherylm

This morning as I was waking up, my brain re-gurgitated your problem infection & a bunch of history I have bumped up against. The first thing was that any infection that is not cleared up in 10 days means that you are “paddling up the wrong creek”. And the second is that there is a bunch of stuff you have around the home (or at the local shops) that CAN nail any bacteria. It’s a simple case of assembling them correctly at the right concentrations & then treating the wound to an irrigation treatment -& if its deep push it in with a pp tipped syringe every few hours.

These simple components are:Water, Vodka, Tea Tree oil, glycerine, J&J’s no more tears shampoo, bicarb, and salt.

Personally I would add very little ascorbic acid(vitamin C), and Chlorohexadine Gluconate, but that’s because I have a “belt & braces” approach to things as well as keeping this stuff in stock -wife calls me a mad scientist.

I hope your foot heals quickly. Good luck!

At least you got to on vacation first! :mellow: Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Will be thinking of you.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your problems and hope you get it sorted out ASAP. Infections are a bugger! But at least you got it seen to quickly... best wishes.

Back with an update....

The wound vac was disconnected for a bit this morning as they inspected the sore and applied a bit of ointment to a small bit of dead tissue that hadn't cleared itself out yet. After that, the ointment was cleaned up and the vac reapplied. They are saying now that I'll be in it for at least one more werk (a LOT better than SIX!) and then they will see about trying some different typews of dressings on it. At the point where the dressings only need to be changeda couple of times a week, they'll look into making arrangements to send me home with follow-up care from a visiting nurse.

The infection seems to have checked out...and my "beloved" MRSA did NOT flare and invade the bones! They seem to have improved the treatment for MRSA over the last eight years...new combinations of antibiotics seem to be much more effective.

Caveman, thanks for your suggestions...I'm sticking with traditional Western medicine for now, but any suggestions for "natural" methods of treating skin problems that might lead to wounds or foot ulcers??? I think that might be well worth my time!

Next major event is a trip to my podiatrist's office on Friday for "the big guy's" opinion on how healing is progressing and a discussion about the advisibility of a special post-op shoe that would make it (possibly) easier for me to keep my weight centered on my heel.

Physical and Occupational Therapy are both working me hard, and I'm making good progress...still hoping there's a chance of getting home before Thanksgiving...meditate on that goal for me, please! :wink:

• Like 1

Glad things are going well Cheryl and that you might be home sooner than expected, hope you make it home for Thanksgiving. Sending positive vibes your way.

OK...Everyone of a certain age, please sing along with me........

Oh It's another Saturday night,

And I'm stuck here in Rehab,

With a wound vac sucking on my foot............ :cool:

Had a pretty good visit with my doctor yesterday...he's still not going to promise me that I'm completely out of the woods (there's still a small piece of bone that's very close to being fully exposed), but he's continued to be impressed with the healing and is starting to make noises that I may be able to head home with visiting nurse care much sooner than anticipated. (Hooray!) The trade-off? I have to promise (and then prove to all and sundry) that I am capable of hobbling gingerly about on my right heel for, possibly, another two-to-three months. I'm getting better at this, so I may have a chance!

I'm a bit of a puzzlement to the rehab team...they deal mostly withstroke victims, broken bones, and new amputees, so one who's been at it for several years shakes up their usual routine. I can already do so many things that they have to train other patients to do (transfers, wheelchair protocol, self-care, awareness of my body, etc....) that sometimes we just run through a whole session of me doing my "tricks" and them checking me off. Then we go back to "Hobbling on my right heel" and I become as weak and fearful as any of the other little old folks here......very odd.... :blink:

Anyway, progress continues to be made and I continue to hope!

• Like 2

Hang in there Cheryl and remain strong. You have a lot of people here that are thinking about you and sending good energy your way.

You go Cheryl! I hate the thought of you back in rehab, but so glad that everything seems to be going well. I do remember that rehab wasn't ready for me either, I was speeding around all over the place in a wheelchair before I was fitted for prosthetics. I will never forget my time there, they were wonderful. Please know that we are all thinking of you :)

Latest update.......

It looks like the wound vac is coming off for good. There's been a fair amount of improvement in the wound. I can now hobble on my heel for 200 feet without resting (walker assisted). I've met all my PT and OT goals. I'm being cut back to every-other-day PT, OT, and dressing changes.......

All of this is stuff I've been hoping and praying for...but it has me concerned. The fact that all my various services are being cut to every-other-day means that my insurance may well not continue to cover me to stay here...but the center of the wound is still so deep and raw that I'm really reluctant to be at home on my own just yet. I'm so nervous about one little "slip, slide, n' tear" on the ball of my foot ripping the small amount of tissue covering the bone and opening things up to infection that I'm quaking!

Ideal situation: I'd get to stay here another week-or-thereabouts, the wound continues to heal more, and THEN I transfer home with something where one little slip won't "doom" me. At first they were talking about discharging me on Friday......but boy I'd feel better with a few more days of on-the-spot care!

The last I heard, they were going to discuss it all again on Friday and then try to make a definite call on a discharge date. That's likely to mean I'm OK until Sunday...and, who knows, maybe that will be enough time for all my worries to resolve themselves.

At any rate, it does look like "home for Thanksgiving" may be a distinct possibility and I'm glad of that!

• Like 2

Hope to you home for Thanksgiving but only if you should be. Make sure that wound is healed. :-)