Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

hadrians wall

Just to get things moving again my last walk

Hadrian’s Wall

Taken from my web thingy

Whilst hanging around at my limb centre waiting for Arty leg to get fixed I couldn’t help but notice a small leaflet sent out by the charity Limb power , can’t say that I had ever heard about this charity before but then why would I ? Living up in Northumberland there is very little in the way of support or help for the Amputee community (in fact as far as I know there is no support what so ever) but as I had a while to wait and had already scanned through the rest of the old magazines that were scattered around I decided to have a quick read, much to my surprise I found an article about a future walk that they were planning along Hadrian’s wall. Now as anyone who know me will tell you, I like the odd day wandering out and about in the fresh air so why not try to find out a bit more about it. It can only be a good thing meeting up with likeminded people.

One name I recognised straight away …..Mark O’Leary he has a web site that I have stumbled across: - http://www.amputee-adventures.org/upcoming/hadrians-wall/

After bit more mooching around using the all-knowing Google I managed to find the limb power web site as well :- http://www.limbpower.com/

The limb power site is err!!! Well a bit boring but from it I managed to get an e mail address and things started to fly up and down the internet thingy. And before I knew it I managed to get myself invited along (I think that it was more of a case of making up the numbers than anything, but beggars can’t be choosers) and so I was on the team.

A FEW PHOTOS

2vslnvk.jpg

2czer7q.jpg

2v3su2h.jpg

2r60j2c.jpg

302ylhs.jpg

2z90f2g.jpg

301fwqo.jpg

FULL TRIP REPORT PLEASE GO TO

http://www.onefootinnorthumberland.co.uk/HADRIAN_S_WALL.htm

thanks Mick

Oh, I've missed your photos, Mick! I've been going through a lot of work on my prosthesis recently, which has made walking on uneven ground a whole lot easier for this klutz......perhaps that will finally get me out and exploring more of my own lovely countryside!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. :wub:

Cherylm I hope that you get the leg sorted sooner rather than later and that it enables you to get out exploring the countryside, :smile: I honestly believe the more you do the easier it gets .

Take care ……………..Mick

• Like 1

Yes Mike, those pictures are georgous. They made me feel much better after my rant concerning fitting legs. :wink:

I have recently been using the Elan foot and it makes a huge difference walking on slopes, uneven ground, etc. Spent a day at Jazz Fest in New Orleans, after it had rained unbelieveably the day before and morning of. I'm talking mud, mud that sucks you in. And since it's held at the Fairgrounds where the horses race, it has a very distinctive odor. But I did it. 2 days in a row. Don't know how I didn't bust my butt but I really think the foot helped. I must add, that I was very sore for a couple of days. I guess the bottom line being, I did it. We can do whatever we set our minds to. Someway, somehow. Yes?

Good for you, Marcia! Yep, it could very well be your foot...I couldn't handle uneven ground without the aid of a walker for YEARS, and then I got my lovely flexible ankle and am getting really, really good at this "cross-country" stuff! Hope you had a grand time at Jazz Fest!

Yeah, good for you Marcia! You did far better than I could coz Mud and uneven ground I can handle, but stick me in a crowd and I am worse than useless, I really have problems getting around when there are lots of people moving around, nightclubs with bright flashing lights and music are even worse but its not all bad news it means that I have a good excuse to get out of the weekly shopping.

Have been playing around with windows media player thingy for this walk.

• Like 1

Fantastic video Mick! If/when I can stand half way up a craggy mountainside in a prosthetic leg I will consider myself a complete success - and will come and join you on one of your adventures!Keep the photos coming please...

Okay, just an off-the-wall question for curiousity's sake: What on earth was that big, mirrored space-agey building at the end of the video?? Beautiful countryside is something I expect from you, Mick...weirdly beautiful architecture is not! So what anad where IS it?

Hi,

The big shiny / glassy building is known as the Sage building, it’s basically a really posh music hall thingy:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sage_Gateshead.

It’s not my normal type of walking area as I like to get out into the wilds someplace away from the crowds but on the Hadrian’s Wall walk the last twenty odd miles is through a built up area ….. Newcastle / Wallsend and to say that you have completed the whole walk (84 miles) you have to walk it. Not the best way to end a brilliant 6 days of walking. But then I didn’t build the wall (the romans did many many years ago).

Kate any time you would be more than welcome.

Cool.....thanks, Mick!