Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

Crossthwaite common

Taken from my web thingy

For once I’m not really sure what I should call this walk, it was supposed to be a redo of a walk that I failed miserably on before see:-

http://www.onefootinnorthumberland.co.uk/DISAPPOINTMENT_.htm for info. But after all the bother I think I would have been better calling this walk “the curse of Holwick scars” but it’s done and dusted now and even though it took hours longer than planned and nearly crippled me it was still a brilliant days walking and even if I do say so myself just go to show what its possible when you …………..eh! Basically have no choice but to carry on.

The day started well enough, I threw the gear into the car and drove down to pick my walking partner Yvonne up who was as normal on time , her gear was thrown into the boot and off we went , the weather gods where smiling on us clear blue skies with a light cooling breeze great. Our destination was the small but free car park at Bowlees, I like the word free where we would go into our normal routine of coffee, gear sorted out for the day and off we went. However things didn’t go the way I planned .

A few photos enjoy

30il5xw.jpg

141nklt.jpg

mue5h2.jpg

2pzmp6u.jpg

5vccx.jpg

Utube thingy

Full trip report :-

http://www.onefootinnorthumberland.co.uk/CROSSTHWAITE_COMMON_05_06_13.htm

thanks …………….Mick

• Like 1

Wow again Mick! That is beautiful and those bluebells.... You really do live in a magnificent part of the country. But I'm intrigued. WHAT WENT WRONG??? You can't just tell half the story - we want it ALL

• Like 1

Sorry Kate.

Being a lazy sort of person I tend to copy just the start from my web page then post a link .i.e.

http://www.onefootinnorthumberland.co.uk/CROSSTHWAITE_COMMON_05_06_13.htm

For any one who wants to read about it.

however basically I suffered from loss of suction , from three places constantly , which caused me a lot of trouble ………..again copied from my web page :-

Home and cool shower , on inspecting my stump I found that I had reopened the cut that I had only just managed to close up and it was stinging (I know I am a wuss at times) and it was very red and puffy , however after a good night’s sleep I woke up in the morning to find that the swelling had gone down and the cut had dried up , much to my amazement I didn’t ache at all , I suppose this was because of all the Arty leg breaks that I had.

My face was sore from the sun again, I must remember to use sun cream in future. But I have got a lovely dark bruise forming along the top of my stump and under my arse cheek; I suppose this was because of the pistoling in the socket. So what went wrong?

The problem was I was losing suction ………………however as the day went on it would seem that I was losing it from 3 places.

One the valve was passing; there is no doubt about that. And nothing I could do out in the wilds.

Secondly air was getting inside the liner and inflating it , I know this because when I took it off it was blown up at the end , this seem to happen when I was going uphill only……volume change ?

Thirdly, air was getting in between the liner and the socket, again I know this because I could not only hear it I could feel it as well. Again a volume change?

The combination of all these really caused me trouble, both physically and mentally and no matter what I tried to combat this air leak I failed miserably. I will sort something out in the future that I know but at the moment I am just taking it easy and waiting for my stump to heal and the bruising to go. It’s been one hell of a learning curve today ….thank you.

hope that helps :biggrin:

Gosh Mick, really sorry to hear the problems... it must have spoilt a beautiful day. As you say, a helluva learning curve. Still, at least now you can plan your next hike whilst resting up. Thanks and sorry I didn't 'get' that it was all on the link!

Hi Mick,

Your photos and commentary are great. Keep it up and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Jane