Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
galway

Painful bump on knee - can't wear leg...Help!

Hello all.

I have a question that no doubt someone here has dealt with before at some time. I have acquired a small but very painful red bump on the side of my knee from wearing my prosthetic.I'm 50 ,thin, very active and I've been an amp since 2000. I've had this leg for a year or two. The bump may have been caused initially by a previous alpha max liner that had a small hole in roughly the same spot on the side of the knee where my bump is now. It would cause a bump that could get slightly painful but I stopped wearing that particular liner with the hole a while back and all was well. I'm now wearing an older liner but no holes.

Then a week or two ago a bump formed and has been bothering me (off and on) but got bad about a week ago. I left the leg off for a few days and it seemed to go away. I did a few hours of strimming (cutting back tall weeds with a strimmer/'weed wacker') yesterday as the leg felt fine and after I got back to the house within a hour the bump was back, inflamed and worse than ever, so I'm back on the crutches without the prosthetic. :sad:

The bump appears to be on the skin itself (as opposed to on the bone), its about 1/4'' or a bit larger, red and very painful even though I haven't had the leg on for about 16 hours. It should slowly fade in a day or two but I worry that it will just come back.

Any advice to get rid of it once and for all?

Sounds like an inflammed (possibly infected?) sebaceous cyst, to me.

If they're longstanding, they can become calcified (e.g. hard).

I would imagine that you need a leg with a hole again? and possibly some antibiotics?

Either way, you need to see your family doctor, just to make sure.

Hope it heals well. x

Hi All,

I started a note but some how it went off into the ozone.

Anyway I totally agree that a Doc trip and a Leg person trip are in your future.

I have had tremendous luck using a new Iceross Seal in X5 with a liner underneath. Maybe this type of design could work on a BK. I'm a through knee right leg amp so I can weight bear on my femur. The bottom of the socket has a gel material that has for the first time in 3 years of this life that I have had no issue what so ever with skin breakdown

I've never tried to attach a photo before on this site but I'll give it my best effort.

Good luck,

Jane

Lizzie 2 stated a very possible cause and could also be an infected hair follicle that may have formed a cyst

Yep...I'd bet on cyst or hair follicle too. If there's any infection lingering there, putting the leg back on will just provide the ideal environment for the bacteria to keep growing and the spot to keep recurring. (Believe me, I'm like the grandmaster of recurrent infections!)

Get to a doctor asap, and keep the leg off until any infection is fully wiped out...if you don't, you'll regret it and wind up being legless far longer.

Hope you can get matters cleared up and get back to life soon!

I think you have been given some good on here Galway, leave the leg off and get it checked out.

I too have had some minor infections round the knee area, usually solved by antibiotics and adjustment to socket fit ... but have often have had to have both my knee treated and adjustments made to the socket/knee fit on the prosthesis.

If you have to wait a while for a prosthetic appointment might be a good idea to take a pic of it as it is now and show it to the prosthetist, cause it might be healed by the time you go back for an appointment, it might help them understand what caused it, better.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went to the doctor today. He put me on antibiotics alright. He gave me a pile of sterile bandages to put over it, but I think he was assuming I would keep wearing the leg. I'll keep it off and only put it on for short trips to the local shop for food etc.

I don't think that I'll need a leg with a hole Lizzie. I've never had one, the hole I mentioned was in the liner (it formed after a few months of having it. I felt it was a flaw in the liner but they wouldn't warranty it :mad: ) I'll certainly be steering clear of any liners with holes! haha

Galway, hope your leg is feeling much better...using antibotics for a couple of days should start you on the way to healing much sooner. :wink:

The antibiotics with me keeping the leg off is working. The antibiotic make me feel rotten and give me a headache but I'd rather that then infection. I've been putting the leg on a for about 2 hours a day to get certain chores done and I must admit that having it on really raises the spirits! I notice the change as soon as it is on.

Hi Galway,

I hope you are continuing to get better since you last posted. Just a curiosity question - have you been on that particular antibiotic before? I guess I've never heard someone getting a headache while on antibiotics. Stomach/digestive issues maybe but not a headache. Could you be having a reaction or be allergic to that drug?

Enjoy the times back in your leg. Mobility is such a wonderful thing!

Jane

I've been doing well since. I seem to be back to my old ways and doing everything I need to. I'd never been on that antibiotic before as far as I know. Its the first time having the leg cause to be on antibiotics since the accident. I could have had a reaction to the antibiotics. I don't seem to do antibiotics well!

Guest bud usa

I do not know for sure but it sounds like you would be a patient for procedure called osseointegration. Look at web site osseointegration in Germany with Dr. Aschoff. I interested please e mail me at budamber@charter.net