Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

No, not planning to fly off anywhere .... but this type of prosthetic has been suggested to me which might help the current problems I am having with my B/K prosthetics. So am just wondering if anyone else in here has tried anything like this, and if so how well it worked for them.

I had it explained that I would have the hard laminate from the knee, half way down the residual, inside that I would have (I think) a full length soft kind of pee-lite liner, over bottom half I would then have a silicone sort of material then a hard laminate but a space between the silicone and laminate where there would be air, the pressure controlled by a valve, supporting the residual and could be adjusted by pumping more or releasing valve.

So if anyone has any experience of this type of prosthesis or any thoughts please feel free to mention, as its not something I have come across before.

Thanks.

Ann

Wow......no idea, Ann, but it sounds like an interesting theory. Something "easy-to-adjust" does sound like it could help with your fitting problems...might be something good for a number of us.

If you get any more info, please keep us posted!

I second that request. Sounds like it would eliminate a lot of bruiseing problems.

Hi Ann,

Are you talking about a vacuum assisted socket?

Not sure they are used much in here in the uk. Used a lot in USA.

There are various types.

Sounds interesting.

Are you going to go with them?

Not vacuum as such Lynne, although they do apparently have a valve which you can pump and alter the pressures.

However its unclear whether I will be going down that route now, things have not been going well prosthetically for me this year, this type of prosthesis would be an experiment and I am told a complicated build, so need something I know that works at the moment and something that they know how to make and make quickly.