Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cherylm

Well, What Happened in 2013?

The 2013 Amputee Coalition conference is now completed....how many of our group was able to attend, and how was it???

It was great Cheryl. It is a lot networking for me. The sessions are mostly the same. I did attend a couple of technology sessions. I'm always searching for the next best thing. This year, for me, it was the new vacuum system by Ossur. It is based on their seal-in liner which I love. It incorporates a pump similar in use to the Harmony. The pump is located on the top of the foot under the foot shell. The best part of this system is that there is no need for a sleeve. The seal-in liner is all that is needed. It's called the Unity system. I was able to waterski on Sunday which was on my bucket list. It was a ton of fun. I first skied upright on two skis. That wore me out so I sit skied the next time around. It was a hoot.

Tammie, Marcia, Ed, Joe, Beth Marie and others were there. It was hot, humid and rained most every day. Not all day, but mostly afternoon thunderstorms.

I don't what they're thinking, but the next conference is July 23-25, 2015 in Tucson, AZ. That will be one hot conference. I hope to see you there.

That is exactly what I was wanting to hear Neal. What is new! I am going to check up on it. I am having a horrible time with what I'm wearing now., BIG MESS is puting it lightly.

Loved the pictures of you water skiing {you look like you were having the time of your life} plus the picture of you was great. NO SHINGLES {yes}

The big difference with it being in the desert, it might be hot, but it sure won't be humid..... it's definitely a lot different...

What are you having the most trouble with Ann, your socket or your foot?

Neal, how big is this pump that it fits under the foot shell? I have had the electric pumps in the past, but they tend to go "off" when I am in meetings. I now use the elevated vacuum system. I know when I used the electric, because my limbs are long and where they placed the electric pump, I barely had room for them between my socket and my foot. I guess I am wondering just how small the new pump is?

Well, I've been in Arizona in July (briefly!)....it can be really hot, but it is indeed "a dry heat" and virtually everyplace is air-conditioned. It's at least close enough to me that I ought to be able to get there without it being a big, hairy deal!

I'm also interested in a pump that fits in a foot shell, Neal! I'm finally settled into my new vacuum suspension but, like flip, my pump is fastened onto my pylon and barely fits between socket and ankle. (I'll put up with that, though, as the leg fits and walks like a dream!)

• Like 1

The big difference with it being in the desert, it might be hot, but it sure won't be humid..... it's definitely a lot different...

What are you having the most trouble with Ann, your socket or your foot?

Higgy: it's the socket...they just can not keep me from hitting bottom...and of course, I don't have the guy who started me {just fill-ins} a real mess. I am thinking of going to his main office in Pittsburg as I am not getting the help here; that's for sure. I just must be a "b...h" !! Old enough to not take any more s..t! I checked out the unity system Neal was talking about online...it looks great., also they do not list any cover. Wonder if it can be covered? Send me a note & let me know how things are in your neck of the woods. We have had rain forever, but probably will get so hot we son't be able to go outside. Hugs & prayers, ann

The pump is about the size of a dollar coin in diameter. It is only about 3/8 of an inch thick. It is only available on a few feet now. They cannot retrofit it at this time. They have positioned the pump where it is suspended over the carbon fiber of the foot itself. That way it doesn't hinder the performance of the foot. The spectra sock and footshell cover that. The only thing is a tube that extends from the pump up to the socket.

Check Ossur page for more on the Unity system. They also have a new Seal-in liner called the V. It has a single seal, but unlike the original, it has fins on it like a fan. The fins collapse or expand as you change volume eliminating the need for added socks. The system really intrigued me. I checked with Scott Sabolich after getting home. They have used it a couple of times with great success. That is good news. You hear from the exhibitors how great the system is, but it's totally different when your legman says it works well also.

It's always great to visit with old friends and make new ones. I hope everyone can put the Tucson conference on their calendars. We'd love to see you there.

• Like 1

Neal, I looked online, but they didn't have a cover listed., either I didn't find it or they can't cover it....do you know? :happy:

That's an interesting notion, Neal...my insurance won't be paying for a new suspension for me any time soon, although they have been pretty good about paying for my newest socket/suspension. (Just a long series of calls to my CPO, asking why the components were so different and the fitting time so long this time around.) Anyway, by the time I'm due for new gear again, perhaps an in-foot pump will be common!

Are you considering giving it a try?