Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jane K

What do you do....

Hi Everyone,

This may not actually be a "new topic" but I'm curious what work folks do in their life.

Since I started this.... I work for my town of 3,800 folks as the Clerk & Collector. I'm still not sure what I will do when I grow up but in the meantime it keeps food on the table.

I stumbled into this work 25 yrs when I wanted to get out of real estate work (independent contractor .... no benefits.... no regular paycheck.....). I've been very fortunate to be able to keep working through the last ten years fun. Rolling, limping or whatever the towns people have been great as have the Selectmen. The work covers everything from car registrations, taxes, lost animals, voting, marriage licenses, death/birth & marriage certificates, performing marriage ceremonies and being the general "ma bell" answering station. A co-worker well described the nature of our work in that you have to ADD because we are never able to finish one project at a time.

That's my story in a nutshell. What about you?

• Like 1

Jane, your job sounds like one I'd love...I thrive on variety!

For many, many years I was an executive secretary, attached to a department known as "Special Programs"...basically the office where all the jobs no other office wanted were lumped together. A wonderful amount of variety, with a lot of running around madly!

Now I'm an old retired gal, but that just means that I can do lots of unrelated things on a more flexible schedule. In addition to my "amp work" (moderating here, doing peer visits, trying to set up a local support group), I have a delightful job as "The Movie Lady"—the film coordinator for a local group of movie buffs—obtaining, promoting, and showing a couple of films each week. I'm also involved in a "Santa's Elves" group that does handmade stockings for a local charity to fill and distribute to people in need during the holidays, and I sing in a local choir and the occasional small ensemble or solo setting. Beyond that, I'm the publicity person for the committee that plans social activities for the residents of my 200+ unit apartment building.

None of this pays diddly...but boy it's fun! :biggrin:

Good evening everybody,

After my BKA in 2008 I returned to my previous job on one of the UKs major coal fired power stations. As my job is substantially office based working on an extensive heavy engineering site hasnt caused too many problems although it does amuse me when I don all the protective gear needed to venture out into the grubby side of things and I put on safety boots to protect a foot that is probably more robust than the boot!!! It also surprised a visiting Fire Officer when he realised he was talking to a one legged Fire Marshal.

Although Im now actually much more mobile than I was before the amputation, when I returned to work I was in a wheelchair and was not expected to progress beyond being able to take more than a few steps with the prosthetic leg and sticks so I was fortunate to have good support from my colleagues who operated a buddy system to help me load/unload my wheelchair and helped with carrying files etc. However , within 2 months of getting my prosthetic and returning to work I could manage the walk in from the car park to my desk and the wheelchair has been in the garage ever since. My employer has also been extremely supportive with adaptations etc for example, all the doors that I regularly use were converted to push button operation and they always consult me on any issues that come up around site that may affect me (or potentially any other disabled person who may come to site). Without sounding too PR they are very aware of diversity and inclusion issues generally - they were a major partner for the London Olympics and Paralympics and a major sponsor of the GB Paralympics team up to London and now going forward to Rio. As I've said I'm pretty mobile now only using a stick for rough terrain and have simply taken up where I left off but the support in the early days of getting back to work made all the difference.

Hi Newbie,

Thanks for responding. It seems everyone must have gone on vacation some where there are no electronics. What bliss for them! But for those who are here......

It sounds like you have had great support from those around you in your work place. Your experience in having co-workers lend assistance is as it should be but not everyone is so fortunate to have that help. It sounds like we both have been lucky to have those around us consider the aspects of life/work that we probably took for granted when we were two footed.

Keep on trekking!

Jane

5less,

Welcome here.. Glad to have you join us. It sounds like you are doing pretty good..In the beginning, it sounds like many of us.. We wonder what we will every resume from our lives pre amputation. Then, is post amp date and we are looking back, thinking, "I didn't really think that I'd be this far, this soon".

I'm glad that your employer is very considerate of your position and is quite willing to accommodate you and other's as well.

About a year ago, I went to work for a Center for Independent Living.. We help others remain independent for as long as possible. In many ways.

They are as accommodating as can be.. It's great to work for someone like that.. the previous employer could of cared less.

Enjoy your stay here on the forum..

What do I do in life? Pretty much as I wish, thanks to a great wife. I became a bk via careless driver and a motorcycle just days before I was to take exam to obtain a real estate sales license. Finally took the exam 5 months later and enjoyed 17 very successful years in real estate sales being in the top 3% in sales volume for about 15 of those years. Mid-life crises made me become the owner-operator of a 60' offshore charter-fishing boat on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Dependent on weather, and we fished some really nasty days, we fished up to 180 or so charters per year with another 20-30 days of commercial tuna fishing.

After a couple of lower-back surgeries I sold the boat and business and on my doc's advice to avoid pushing the vacuum cleaner took up a lifelong hobby as a profession and started selling my photography. Still undecided on what I'll so when I have to settle down.

Hi Captain,

Sounds like you have done well for your self. I'm glad real estate sales was lucrative. In my earlier life (early 80's to '88) I also was a broker. But instead of working my way up in the business my first sale turned out to be the most expensive sale in the county for the year. Thanks to that sale my now ex and I did a great 3 week trip abroad the following winter. Future commissions paled in comparison to that first sale but it was still very interesting and challenging.

The move to running a charter boat sounds great too. Sorry back issues sidelined the show but opened up the opportunity to work on the photography. What do you typically shoot?

Jane

I try to shoot stuff that sells. Sometimes difficult since everyone with a cellphone is a photographer. Mostly landscapes, lighthouses and boats. I like shooting kids and candids of everyday people doing what they do.

HI All,

I have not been getting notifications of new posts except every so often. So, like Cheryl I am a happily retired person living in Canada. Before retirement I taught councilling and spirituality at a seminary in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for 15 years and loved it. A friend enticed me to move here to BC, saying "two months less winter" and it has been true.

When I was working I worked on saving up frequent flyer miles to be able to travel more.

This last year I have been to Guatemala/Honduras. I just returned from 3 amazing weeks in New Zealand visiting my niece and best friend. I also take a small group to Viet Nam each summer/fall to see the real Viet Nam. When I am home I work two afternoons at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and like it. I renovated my house here, so I surprise the older guys that I actually know what things are. Yesterday we had ground breaking for two new houses Habitat is building. I was privileged to sit on the selection committee to help choose the two families that will be living there (townhouses). Other than that I love playing and cuddling with my chocolate lab and doing folk art.

Peace, Beth Marie

• Like 1