Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jane K

Another of life's perk being an amputee....

Hi Everyone,

I had just got home yesterday evening after being away for a work conference. I was hauling stuff back in and had the joy of seeing my cat Lucey chasing someone around the dinning room. The "someone" happened to be a mouse that had the poor judgement to choose to our house to check out.

While I don't jump up on the nearest chair when seeing these small creatures inside I still don't life them around - inside anyway. Logic says we are big, they are tiny.. we are the intelligent species they are not ... but I still don't like them in the house. Anyway a bit later I was foraging in the frig when a tiny blur dashed by followed by a not so tiny feline. Instinctively I picked up my good foot as was standing just on my fake leg. The mouse being underfoot didn't seem to be such a big deal at that point.

This adventure also made me remember an earlier mouse story...

When a poor choosing mouse does make it into the house I try to capture it and evict it back to where it came. One day this past spring I had the wonderful experience to realize I missed one. I discovered the decedent laying on my dinning room dark patterned carpet - after I stepped on it - thankfully with my non fake foot. The creature was well past caring but I was still grossed out.

To all those also grossed out - I'm sorry. I hope the comic side of these stories makes you laugh instead.

Jane

Hi Again.

A couple more stray thoughts on the perks of being an amputee...

A bad hair day doesn't seem as important as it once was.

Forgetting to shave my leg and no one notices it when I wear shorts.

Trying on new shoes takes half the effort.

Stepping in puddles drenches only one foot.

A new use for those old knee socks that won't come back into style. In a pinch they can cover the foot and ankle parts when walking over loose sand to get to the hard packed sand by the water. Walking with my sister along the shore this past summer (wearing her sock) she admitted she kept thinking my leg would be too hot wearing the sock.

Another other ideas come to mind?

Jane

Jane, I love the way you think.. :rolleyes::happy::cool::rolleyes:

Jane,

Your "mouse tails" reminded me of the old Tom & Jerry cartoons with them chasing round the kitchen and the hysterical maid balancing on a stool!!

Another (admittedly gross) advantage of only 1 leg is half the quantity of toe nail clippings in the bath!!

Thanks Guys,

Humor is the best way to see life. Much better than the alternative and much more fun!

Jane

Cute stories! And I agree with the notion that you "might as well laugh" when faced with "a challenge that's not going away"...much more pleasant than the alternative... :biggrin:

Congrats on joining the rest of us moderators, Jane...new blood is always a good thing!

• Like 1

I've also started to buy multi packs of 5 pairs of socks all the same colour - with 1 on the prosthetic it's ages until I run out of clean ones for my "good" foot!