Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Sigh...It's time for my annual fall foot wound.....

UPDATE TIME: I've been declared "technically healed" of the FFW!!!!!! That "technically" part is that the new skin is still very, very delicate...so Doc has requested that I spend another ten days in the wheelchair (but without a footrest), so that the new skin will have a chance to "toughen up" a bit before I start walking again. I can do that!

On a related note, in the three weeks since my last appointment there has been a new, non-surgical, possibility that's popped up to try and take some stress off the FFW spot. I've been given some small, adhesive teflon-ish patches which, once I'm back in a regular shoe, I am supposed to stick onto my orthotics where my darling little sesamoid bones hit. The theory is that the sesamoids will slide harmlessly over the slick patch, so there will be no pulling on the skin...and therefore no FFW. It's an experiment, but if it works I should be able to walk without fear of breaking the skin. If it doesn't work, we're back to doing the pair of surgeries...so think good thoughts about small, adhesive, teflon-ish patches for me, gang!

Hooray! I should be walking and driving again well before Thanksgiving this year! :wub:

• Like 2

Fantastic news Cheryl! As I am having very similar problems with an ongoing foot problem I will be very curious to see how you get on with the teflonish patches. I have been given what looks like sheets of gel which are supposed to be anti-friction. When my blisters heal and I can walk again I've been told to use it on that vulnerable area of skin graft to protect it from the shoe rubbing. In the meantime, like yourself, I have been confined to the wheelchair....

Now you can enjoy your Thanksgiving concert standing up!!

Sorry to hear about the blisters, Kate...I hope you're healed and wheelchair-free soon! I've always been glad that I didn't need skin grafts with my own amp...they seem to be such very sensitive things to deal with, especially when you're trying to walk with a prosthesis.

I'll think good thoughts for you and your gel sheets...hope they do the trick for you!

• Like 1

Hi Cheryl,

So glad to hear your great news! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Being told there is a positive end to your problems must feel wonderful.

Jane

It does indeed, Jane! :biggrin:

Okay, gang...we may be wrapping this thread up! I'M UP AND WALKING AGAIN! Today was my first day to really get out and walk a bit in the pursuit of real life...I'm exhausted, and it's amazing just how stiff and sore my back is, but I'm vertical and mobile again.

Now we just see how the teflon-ish patch works out. I can actually feel the FFW site sliding over the patch...I hope it's really doing its job and keeping the stress off that part of the foot. We shall see.............. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Brilliant Cheryl, really pleased for you ... its a great feeling to be vertical and mobile again, isn't it?

Fingers crossed that the Teflon-ish patch continues to do a good job ...if it does let us know as I think quite a few of us here might be interested to know more, as they sound very useful.

• Like 1

Congrats Cheryl!

You deserve the break to have this all go more smoothly. Our best wishes that all goes well going forward!

Jane

Ditto Cheryl! congrats and as has been said, please keep us up to date regarding the anti-friction patches!

Hi Cheryl,

So pleased that you are finally up and walking again, naturally the last thing you want to hear is someone like me saying take it easy ..because you know that .so I wont.

Those Teflon-ish patches sound like very useful bits of kit, I often get a sore spot where the top of my socket rubs against the fleshy bit of my stump (very close to a rather delicate part of my body), I tend to put a dap of cream on to prevent any more friction burns, but of course the cream melts and causes the liner and leg to start slipping, never thought of a Teflon type of patch. You will have to let us know how they work and a bit more about them.

Take care ..Mick

Thank you one and all...now I just have to get my apartment/lifestyle back under control!

Hi Cheryl,

Is the teflon-ish pad you have been using like the Kendal Company "Telfa Pad"? The later I've used when a irritation develops at the top of the socket where it is, as Mick described, "a delicate place". If what you are using is something different I would love to have the name to have another alternate option.

Keep up the good progress.

Jane

I got the "teflon-ish" pads as a sample from my podiatrist to try out..unfortunately they don't have a name on them. If I remember "Telfa pads" correctly, Jane, I don't think these are the same thing. These are a "patch" more than a "pad," and they look like someone has laid down a thin layer of very slippery blue enamel on a piece of adhesive-backed paper. The adhesive and the paper backing are both incredibly strong and so far my first patch has stayed in place beautifully.

I have a follow-up visit in a couple of weeks, and if my patches are still doing well I'll find out all about them and post the info...I know that just about anything can prove to be useful to at least a few of us! :wink:

Hi Cheryl ,

Every gizmo and gadget we can learn about is great.

Happy Turkey Day all!

Jane

Okay...one final update, plus some info on the "teflon-ish" patches.

I saw the doctor today and he was very, very pleased with the way things are holding up! On several occasions, he's pulled in all the various podiatry residents to show off and discuss my FFWs, and he did so again today. After letting everyone take a look at the former site of the latest FFW, he informed us all that my right foot is currently "the best he's ever seen it." My former callus has settled into just nice, flat, durable skin, and the patch looks like it's going to work. (Hooray!!) After the little celebration in the exam room, I asked for more info about the little blue teflon-ish thing hanging out in my right shoe. So here goes...........

It's called a "PTFE patch." It's a strong, tough, waxy, nonflammable synthetic resin produced by the polymerization of tetrafluoroethylene. It actually is a variety of teflon, and it's manufactured to fill in microscopic spaces. The PTFE part of this patch is commonly available at just about any home improvement center...where it's known as PLUMBERS' TAPE. Yeah...you fasten plumbers' tape to an adhesive paper backing and you get the thing that saved my right foot. (Good grief! :blink: )

Doc says that it's becoming popular in podiatry circles and orthotics manufactuing. He's never heard of it being used in a prosthesis, but those prosthetists who also build/fit orthotics are most likely aware of the PTFE patch...if you have a "sticking problem" that leads to skin shear injuries, you might want to talk to your prosthetist about giving it a try.

So that's the story of the 2013 FFW. May it never recur again!

• Like 2

May it never recur again!

Here Here or is it hear hear !!! Great news Cheryl. Wishing you the very best !!

Well, who would have thought good old fashioned plumbers PTFE tape would be so useful! I can't wait to ask my Orthotist,,,I'm glad it's healed so well Cheryl. By the way, how was the Thanksgiving Concert?

Kate, the winter concert season is all over for us...we're on a brief hiatus until after the holidays, and then we'll start working on our spring show. Veteran's Day was a great success...we sang well, supported our vets, and even gained a couple of new members for the group (who actually "deserted" one of the other vocal groups in the area to join us, which leaves me with mixed feelings...I'm real glad they're with us, but the other group is going through some rough times and I feel sorry for them).

We've also had two Christmas performances now, and those were a lot of fun! The choir sang well, all of us soloists got through our numbers, all of our "guest musicians" turned up to play, and we even had three hula dancers sway beautifully to our rendition of "Mele Kalikimaka." We had a good turn-out, and we're still getting some great comments. The second show was a benefit for the hall that donates our rehearsal space, and they also made out well...so good times all around!

Thanks for asking! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi Cheryl,

Congrats on all scores! Your new year will be starting on a fantastic note. Thanks for asking about the patch. I'll add plumbers tape to my Home Depot buy list.

Jane