Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

back to the woods

Seeing as I couldn’t get an early start and had to stay local another walk in the woods

One of the many small boggy ponds that are scattered around these woods

2ibj800.jpg

The boys leading the way up an old forestry track that is slowly being reclaimed by nature

np3yp5.jpg

The path heading up to Thrunton crags , it’s very slippery in places

2rcyao5.jpg

The views from the first set of crags

hrfxxk.jpg

jfkbyp.jpg

Full trip report if you want to read it :-

http://www.onefootinnorthumberland.co.uk/WWW_T.htm

Hi Mick,

More great adventures with the boys. Nice pics too!

I am curious enough to ask how do you have the time for all these great treks? Do you not sleep? Have you figures out how to get paid and not show up at the office? What ever you are doing it sure works. Have you considered getting a patent for your secret. Care to offer any hints?

Jane

Thank you J :biggrin:

Ask away Jane,

Yes I sleep , in fact I love my bed :wub: and would like to spend more time in there, no I am lucky workwise I do a funny 12 hour shift system (day & nights) that generates a lot of time off I would like to stop working but I simply cant afford to L after my I lost my leg I really thought long and hard :glare: about what direction I wanted my life to go , I chose to make it as simple ,relaxed and easy as possible , little things like the garden along with the house I have made it so it takes very little time to maintain and keep it in good condition so I spend as little time as possible doing boring chores around the house & garden .

That o course frees up more time so I can do what I want to, naturally being an aka my mobility is a constant concern for me so the way I figure it is the more time I spend out in the hills or fells the better my mobility will get and at the wrong side of 50 I really do need to work on it , of course I know that sooner or later things and stuff will go wrong with my stump /leg so I really try to make the most of the moment here and now and I cant tell you how good I feel :biggrin: when I am out in the middle of nowhere or on the top of some mountain especially after being given a load of crap about what an old above knee amputee could be expected to do.

I think anyone who goes through losing a limb is likely to do some long and hard thinking about what's really important in life......I know that for me, having my heart briefly stopped (twice) and having my leg lopped off (only once, thankfully) managed to convince me that I didn't want my gravestone to read "Here Lies a Dedicated Executive Secretary." I continued to care about my job, but I did it only during my actual job hours...my off hours were devoted to actually living a full life and being with family and friends.

That's one of the reasons I've said that I'm not sure I'd want my leg back if it meant that I'd lose everything I've learned since my amp. It sounds to me like you've got your priorities in order, Mick...good for you!

you are a role model for all of us who are on the wrong side of 50 Mick. Keep up the walking - I can't do what you do so I get my fix through your lovely pic.

As both yourself and Cheryl have said, you learn to prioritise after a trauma like amputation and you find out pretty quickly that life really IS too short to spend on mundanity.

How right you all are in really appreciating what we have even when we may have less. This would probably sound nuts to someone who hasn't faced significant physical problems but in this group we get it!

Jane

Once again I tend to agree with you all, there is nothing like an amputation Wether it traumatic or planned to make you think about “how you see things” I certainly wouldn’t go as far as saying that I am a better person or anything like that and given the chance I would have my leg back in a second but I certainly appreciate the little things more, like when you put your leg on first thing in the morning …………………is it good (hooray) or is it uncomfortable and the I’m in for a crappy day . I try to keep my feelings about how the leg feels when it’s bad to myself, after all no one likes a moaner. And there is very little they can do anyway.

Saying that I think that I am more positive about life in general than what I was before and dare I say it I see life in a more brighter colourful way (if that makes sense) .

As for work and other boring stuff , I do what I have to do only because in the real world you need money just to get along …………..it would be nice to win the lotto then I could really start having fun all the time.

Anyway thanks for the nice comments about my walks and photos

Take care ………..Mick

I've decided should I ever win the lottery....which could only happen if I started playing....I hire a full time masseuse. Many friends and family have thought this would be a wonderful idea and plan to visit a lot! I think I would hide the fact I won because it would be too hard to sort through the many requests for help. Instead- it would be much more fun to quietly see what could help others and do it without the folks knowing where or whom it came from.

I was lucky enough to experience being a "Secret Santa Helper" via my job. This occurred many years ago when a women from a nearby town called and ask could she pay another persons property taxes. After I told her yes she explained she had overheard one of our residents talking with a friend saying she didn't know how she was going to pay her taxes. She knew through the exercise class they participated in that she had been divorced awhile but was having a tough time getting on her feet. She wanted to do it but with the condition that she remain anonymous. Needless to say the look of shock, amazement, disbelief and then tears of happiness was beautiful. I was only the messenger then but it would be great to do something like that for some one else.

Who knows maybe I should buy a lottery ticket or two soon.... Jane

• Like 1