Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jane K

prosthetic "skin" covers

Being from the north east of the US the news shows updates on some of the Boston bombing victims. My heart goes out to all those people finding their lives so suddenly changed from what they have ever known.

The news pieces have shown folks wearing the "skin covers". I was curious what those covers weigh? I would think it must add a bit to what is already some significant weight. This would particularly be a factor if a knee is part of the package. Original equipment that we started with has weight too. What is the ballpark weight of a leg? Any ideas?

Several news pieces have also shown ladies with their new legs and wearing high heels. Really high heels! Is a separate foot required to wear heels? I've never worn heels when I had my original parts because I was sure I would fall over. To see these individuals walking in them is amazing! Go for it ladies!

Jane

A skin cover is just a silicone sheath that fits over a foam cover made in the shape of your leg. Hardly any weight at all. I have removable foam covers for my leg with just a stocking over them to wear under pants but with shorts and dresses I don't cover it. I have a separate foot (entire leg actually) that I use for high heels. I can wear 3" heels which are fairly high. Some feet have an adjustable ankle that allows up to a 2" heel. I actually find it easier to wear a heel than flat shoes because there is no resistance to rolling over the foot when walking.

Kitkat's answer is a good one...high heels are an ongoing concern for some of us amp-gals. I'm wondering if you were seeing the pictures of the woman from the Boston bombing who was wearing the prosthesis set for 4" heels, Jane. As I recall, her foot was specially made just for her, as she has "always" worn 4" heels...it's not something a prosthetics company would usually do, the "usual" is normally 2" or a little higher.

I used to wear a "standard" covering on my leg when I was still working, just because having a relatively normal-looking leg made my amp a non-issue in the office. That covering (foam with a stocking over it) weighed only a little bit more than my current "naked" leg. Back when I looked into a "skin" covering, they were pretty expensive and not terribly durable...don't know if that's changed recently or not.

Thanks for the info ladies. While I'm not looking for the heel options perhaps others who see this might be. I figure being flat footed gives me more balance points and it is less distance to the ground...should that need arise.

Jane

Hi Jane, I am currently using the foam/stocking arrangement on my bilateral b/k's and the weight of both legs is about 14lbs (British weight), though the weight of the actual foam is very little, but I wore a pair uncovered for most of this year and they were actually heavier than the covered ones I am wearing now, so imagine a lot depends on the weight of the prostheses themselves. Though have worn the silicone covers over the foam too and did find them a fair bit heavier, also found I didn't get on particularly well with the overall appearance of the covers, particularly around the feet/ankle area and found they almost stuck to my clothes, so was covering them anyway and eventually returned to just the stockings over the foam.

With regard heels, I sometimes feel that although we have seem improvements in the types of feet now available for prosthetics, my own experience has been that I now seem to be more limited in styles/fittings of shoes and heel heights that I am able to wear. When I began wearing prosthetics, back in the 70's I think the feet were still made of wood, technically not so advanced, but I never had any problem with the fit of normal width fittings, which I often do nowadays or getting them adjusted to wear fairly high heels, in fact I was told initially that it was beneficial to wear some heel and whilst I am now wearing about one and a half inch heel have been told on my present feet its about as high as they can go.

My experiences are that its not so much the height of the heel that is the problem (as long as the foot is able to adjust), the height of the heel not really making a difference once the foot is accommodated to allow for the difference in height, for me its been more the width of the heel base that is the issue, chunky heels are fine though find as a bilateral, the thinner more stiletto type, very difficult to balance on.

Hi Ann,

I commend anyone who can wear heels - no matter the amount of appendages. For all those who can carry off the motion the best of luck. Lucky I never intended to work in the big city corporate world. To all those who have managed to not pitch towards the earth - congrats! I'll stay in my sneaker type shoes.

Jane