Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

winter is coming

Ok people,

Back in the cold north east of England we have just had our first fluttering of snow , it wont be long till the pavement are covered in frozen snow or ice , which mean that life can become interesting for us amputees with slipping and sliding , if you havent already got some of these I can really recommend them , quick to put on & and take off for that matter , give excellent grip on ice or snow and to be honest I wouldnt be with out them once the cold weather really sets in for the winter

Link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=yaktrax&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=28054504953&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2366010401313394479&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6ensjrvbe0_b

If you are completely brain dead (a bit like me) and really enjoy the great outdoors something a bit more robust that I highly recommend Kahtoola micro spikes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kahtoola-C578-MICROspikes-Black-M/dp/B002NBLAS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385017316&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+spikes

cost a few quid extra but after your arse has hit the ground a few times it will be worth it .

take care and happy slipping ..Mick

Thanks for the links Mick, down here in the South we don't get anywhere near the snow, usually, that you get up in the North East. I bought the first ones in your first link, a few years back and used them several times in the last year or so which have helped a bit but like the look of the more heavy duty ones in your second link, so thanks for posting that. Lets hope its not too bad a winter this year.

Thanks Mick. I have never used them but post-amp think I should invest in a pair.I also live in the south and today it's bitterly cold, but wet, not snowy. Last year we had tons of snow but I wasn't walking then so I just stayed at home on those icy days when my power chair would have skidded around or got stuck in a drift. I have to say, I am dreading taking my first steps on ice as an amputee..as a sort of bi-lateral- I still have half my left foot- and with the added complication of arthritis in most of my joints, my balance is pretty bad. So I may be sitting in the warm reading about your fabulous walks rather than doing them myself. (well, that's my excuse for sitting by the fire reading and I'm sticking to it!)

Hi All,

The Yaktracks are fantastic but avoid smooth tile floors. Of course indoor skating can be fun if your in the mood.

I'll pitch another great winter item and that is Neos Overshoe. The Yaktracks fit over them but even without the tracks they give a pretty good footing on all bit straight up ice. This was the first boot I could find that I could get on over my shoe that didn't require an marathon wrestling match. They open up wide to accommodate a foot / ankle that doesn't bend and they are really light. Not having to change shoes once your inside is also great. Because they are mid calf height gators can be used to keep out the snow.

I also find a walking pole (old ski poles from someone taller than you) is another essential gizmo .

Of course the ultimate solution to winter is to fly south. Far south!

Jane

Hi Again,

The theme "winter is coming" needs to be revised "it's here". The temp overnight dropped to 18 degrees (-8 Celsius) with a very brisk wind. On the upside there won't be anymore problems with insects bugging you when you go outside.

Stay warm to all those in similar, or even colder, places.

Jane