Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
erk

Hello from a Vietnam Era DAK

Hello from Michigan,

I am a double AK and have been using prosthetics for over 40 years. My early legs, (circa 1969), were fabricated from blocks of wood and the knee was nothing more than a hinge, (wooden legs are very heavy).

Over the years the knees became safer with the addition of various cam systems to keep the knee from buckling when extended and the sockets were no longer being made from wood. Well, now I am getting a set of c-legs. I will be picking them up on Tuesday, Nov 26th. I have had them on but have yet to use them in the "real world", I have only used them between parallel bars over very short distances in a small room, (they sure are different from what I am used to).

I have seen numerous Youtube videos of obviously experienced users who do amazing things on their legs. I am curious about first impressions and early use. If there are any double amputees who can share their early experiences with their c-legs I would sure appreciate it.

Take care everyone and I will let you all know how I am progressing with my new legs.

ERK

• Like 1

Hi Erk,

When I started reading your post and and read this 'circa 1969' and about wooden legs I thought to myself 'Oh my God, I was born in 1969' :tongue:

To me you're a hero, period.

Although I'm not a double AK ( I'm a right AK), I can tell you that the C-leg is a 'legitimate' unit no matter who says it's otherwise. Well, at least it's been that for me for the last four years. I lost my leg in 2008. It will save you a lot of energy, and that is essential because you're a double.

My first impression? It gave me some real sense of security. But you probably know it better than me that the most imortant part is a perfectly fitting socket, which again is another pain in the .....

Hang on there and keep everyone here in the loop about your progress

Hi, erk...welcome to our little forum "family!" I'm going to be no good at all when it comes to AK matters, as I'm your basic LBK....but we do have a good number of AKs--some of them using C-legs--who can offer some advice. From what I've seen of folks using the leg, it does seem to provide a lot of stability and a fairly "natural" motion, so I'm wishing you great success with your "upgrades."

You might want to get in touch with one of our members who is very experienced as a bilateral AK using C-legs. eddie103 doesn't check in here as often as he used to, but you can always use a PM to contact him. He has a lot of opinions and a lot of experience with the legs...and he's always been willing to help out others. He also has a very extensive thread here, "The Adventures of Ed," I believe is the title, which is aimed more toward "beginners" than experienced amps, but you might pick up some info on adjusting to the legs.

Good luck to you with the new legs...May they be wonderful! :biggrin: