Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

The People Who Stare

Bright Purple

And , WHATS WAROOONG with purpple hair ???????????????? You have ovbbbiviously nnever been to my hoouse or seen me .... havvei you ? :P :P :P

Hey, look who I found, MJ with PURPLE hair bd162.gif ........... way to go girl!!!! B)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Well-the point I was trying to make is if you had purple hair and red shoes (I added that) no one would look at an artificial leg!

Make a statement louder that what is obvious and people will only remember things that are not so obvious.

I could not even spell this guys name but I will try- Sirino Debresrack (you know the guy with the huge nose?) Everyone looked at his honker. But little did they nose that he was quite a romantic (this was before feet was a good give away)

The nose is a nose-oh want a beautiful nose.

I say if everyone is looking down, make them look up-wear a red scarf or you're in luck if you have a big nose.

Purple hair , RED hair , RAINBOW colored hair , I had them all . In fact , right now , it's red annd frizzzy . Oh ya and I have a few pairs of RED Dr. Martins too .

ROFL....I like the camera thing and when I catch someone staring with evil in there eyes lol....I scratch another body part and that usually takes there eyes away from the leg lol....once I said see something you like??

Peeps who stare at me when I am doing this are usually watching us play :)

Whats up cant add pics at all no matter what I do grrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Whats up cant add pics at all no matter what I do grrrrrrrrrrrrr..

I got it to work so keep trying. You must have missed something.

i wear shorts most of the time and the stares dont bother me, ive had mine sine i was 16. i know alot do stare but i really dont care occasionally if someone is staring to the point of obsessive i usually walk over by them...look at em and ask do they wana touch it lol

i have found most who do stare if im close enough will go ahead and ask questions.

little kids and adults between 30-40 i think are the worst

ive found alot of amputees who are ashamed of there limbs i arnt one of em..........i think they freaking rock, they look cool, there sexy as hell

i thing i get more grief from parking in a handicap zone then anything, people seem to think you cant have nice cars or be a young male and park in a handicap zone i cant tell you the crap i get to go thou for this but i still always wind up getting the pleasure of making them look like a ass

• Like 1

i have found most who do stare if im close enough will go ahead and ask questions.

little kids and adults between 30-40 i think are the worst

ive found alot of amputees who are ashamed of there limbs i arnt one of em..........i think they freaking rock, they look cool, there sexy as hell

"Sexy as hell" may only apply to prostheses on young, buff men, gimp! However, I do admit to taking the odd look at others' prosthetics, simply because I find them interesting. If they're looking my way, they'll see that it's a kind of "shared" curiosity...if I'm wearing something that covers up my leg, I'll walk up and let them know that I'm also an amp and that I found something interesting about their gear.

I tend not to notice the "stares" any more...and now that I'm in a "naked" prosthesis and no longer have people coming up to ask if I've "had knee surgery," I generally don't mind questions when they come. If I'm not in the mood to talk, I just excuse myself and go on my way. Most of the questions and comments I get nowadays are about the pattern on my socket and "how'd you make it look so pretty," which is one I don't mind at all.

I really enjoy the little kids! They're so straightforward in their curiosity! If I see a kid hovering and staring--and a parent trying to stop them--I do make a point of going up and telling the parent that it's all right and asking the kid what they want to know. It's usually a variation on "what happened to your leg," of course, so I just explain it in a kid-friendly way and everyone goes away satisfied.

Wearing shorts? Shorts are great, especially in hot weather when prosthesis readjustments are more common!

when i say sexy im not referring in a sexual since, im speaking in the since that that my prelude is sexy its a way ive described things i think are just strieght up sweet all my life. i know alot of guys that are that way. it might just be a guy thing.

i presume when you say naked prosthetics you mean no covering,lol thats how i like them i think the mechanics and the looks of the limbs are just plain unadulterated awesome or sexy as i put it. i love the mechanic side of things any time i see a mechanical marvel or looks sweet i just go nuts. and prosthetic are awesome

i enjoy the kids questions too not only are they straightforward but alot are sweet about it to. there compassion and innocents just puts a smile on my face .

Ah, I have given up on the people who stare. From "take a pic, it lasts longer" to "3 out of 4 ain't bad" to "throw money and I will do a trick" - oh the list goes on.

Typically when they stare, it's not at YOU, in your face. It's at your missing bit/s. But sooner or later they just have to look up into your face (which is staring straight into their eyes). And all you do is give them a "Mona Lisa" smile, like "I see you honey"....and walk/limp/crutch/wheel away. You can feel them crumbling behind your back!

Then again, if you're in a bad mood, eish - let rip with all the quips you ever learned about being gimpy and "normal" people being odd. We have earned the right to be pee'd off actually. Don't poke the bear..... :glare::ph34r::tongue:

Having said that, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the kids when they look, and they want to touch and they have questions. It's the parents who have issues.

Best question from a kid who examined my arty leg indepth? "DOES IT HAVE BLOOD?"

Bless their hearts!

:wub:

the sweetest thing ive herd is "does it hurt.....ill give you my leg if it will help"....then she give me hug and said "mommy says hugs makes everything better so thats why you need one" i told her she was right.

of course our conversation was longer than that and me and her mom talked a bit while the little sweetheart went on playing but thats the just of it...i tell you what i felt like crying after that

now the funniest has to be when a kid walked up to me and stared for a few min then kicked my leg, he ran of crying. i stood there for a few like wtf when here he comes back dragging his mom saying "thats the mean man who kicked me" :blink: it was very weird but we all got a big laugh

I do think people look at men with artificial limbs and women with artificial limbs differently. Seems like men are "cool", women sometimes are felt sorry for which is ridiculous.

I want to be cool too :)

• Like 2

I do think people look at men with artificial limbs and women with artificial limbs differently. Seems like men are "cool", women sometimes are felt sorry for which is ridiculous.

You are cool :cool: already!!!!

• Like 1

Course you are cool Flip. But I know what you are saying.

I also think, bit like Cheryl said that "sexy as hell" kind of really only applies to certain prosthetic set-ups, could well be a guy thing as you say Gimp, but as a female bilat b/k I don't find the mechanics that awesome. Think also that maybe also related to perceptions if your prosthesis is comfortable, functional and your out there being able to strut your stuff. Not everyones 'set-up' is that contemporary, least not this side of the pond, you might have two legs different levels, diff types and some people still have to have belts, buckles, leather corsets, etc. etc., might also be uncomfortable and/or you might have probs that prevent you strutting your stuff, probably most of us have been there at one time or other and can relate to how our perceptions about our feelings and body image can change, then change again when we get things sorted.

Mine are b/k, covered with foam and held on with sleeves, they don't look the best uncovered but am certainly not ashamed of them, but there is more to me than my legs, or so I like to think. Ha ha. When I started out on this journey prosthetics were very different, didn't even look like legs as they do today and couldn't wear shoes, you did get stared at and often also unsavoury comments, I became known by my legs and as a teenager didn't like that much, wearing prosthetics definitely didn't feel cool back then, so as soon as I could I blended in, though sometimes, especially when I can't wear the prostheses or take them off because they need adjusting or whatever, I surprise people. The parking thing, I've lived with for years and I think goes with the territory if you are young and have a disability, over here we have Blue Badges and can park in marked parking bays if they are available, perhaps I am looking older as I don't get the 'looks' so much these days when I park in one of these! LOL

Nowadays though I am probably a bit more chilled, I don't notice people staring much but you know sometimes people are just interested and I am quite chatty so often get into conversations with them, because of the publicity these days about amputees, sports, and veterans I find people usually quite interested ... another thing I have come across is that some of the people who show the most interest often tell me that either they or a friend/relative might have or have/has had a limb amputated, and they are looking for information ... a couple of people I have talked to haven't been affected at the time, but have been some time later ... interesting I think!

• Like 1

I get some stares but hardly notice. Most comments are about how well I am getting around with my leg. Most of the double take stares are when my husband and I are together as he is an amputee also (both injured together in motorcycle accident). Early on one man, trying to be funny I think, asked if we met in a one legged ass kicking contest. Seriously wanted to kick his.

• Like 2

I get some stares but hardly notice. Most comments are about how well I am getting around with my leg. Most of the double take stares are when my husband and I are together as he is an amputee also (both injured together in motorcycle accident). Early on one man, trying to be funny I think, asked if we met in a one legged ass kicking contest. Seriously wanted to kick his.

Goodness Kitkat, imagine you did want to give that man a kick ... he obviously thought he was being funny. ( Not.)

I think you hardly notice the stares though 'because' you are getting around so well with your leg, if you weren't doing so well or couldn't wear the leg very much, you would probably notice them more.

Hope your husband is doing ok too,