Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
kate

Gel sleeve allergy?

Hi All,

I was given a gel sleeve in August when I first started to walk. It's been great until a fortnight ago when I noticed It's started to give me what looks like (but isn't) A heat rash. Does anyone know of a sleeve for sensitive skin? I would like some options to put to my prosthetist so that I don't waste too much time trying other options and finding I end up with the same result - an allergy. My GPs answer to this is antihistamine tablets but I really don't want to have to add another tablet to the hundreds I already have to take daily!

Thanks!

Kate

Could be either a dirty liner or the soap that you are using to clean it. :unsure: Did you recently change the detergent soap? :glare: Consider what may have changed.

• Like 1

Kate is this the same sleeve you've been using since August? And have you changed anything about the way you care for it? (I'm thinking a different product for cleaning it, a different product for cleaning you, etc....) August to now seems like a very long time for an allergy to the sleeve itself to develop, especially if it's been the same sleeve all along.

As you've probably gathered from my questions, I've had far more problems with soaps and lotions than I've ever had with a liner or sleeve. However, I have had reactions to what was "the same sleeve as always" if an old sleeve was replaced by a new sleeve of the same exact make, model, size and design. It was eventually determined that the manufacturer had changed something in the oil they used to lubricate the sleeve...once I started washing the sleeve very, very thoroughly before putting it on for the first time, the rash went away.

I hope someone with experience of actually developing an allergy to the sleeve itself checks in with something about their experiences that might help you out. In the meantime, good luck!

• Like 1

Kate,

Also on the same lines as JohnnyV and CherylM, even if you haven't changed your products have the manufacturers slightly changed their formulas ? This could also be enough to trigger a reaction.

Best of luck in getting it sorted soon

Tony

• Like 1

thanks everyone. I haven't changed anything since I got it - cleaning regime and products etc. are the same. I know with some things you can develop allergies to them over time, but have no idea with this one. Cheryl, it is the same sleeve I've been wearing every day since August so it can't be a change in manufacturing 'ingredients'.Thanks and please keep the ideas coming! In the meantime I will change the stuff I'm cleaning it with (again) just to check it's not that. I do have very very sensitive, dry skin, so I expect anything to cause some sort of reaction...

A couple of other thoughts. Are you using any lotions and/or doing hair removal?

• Like 1

Hi Kate,

Sorry to read about your problems, I don’t know if this will be of any use but I tend to clean mine with whatever soap, shower gel that is lying around and in easy reach (I know I’m lazy) I have only ever once started to develop a rash and that was when the liner started to “break down” on the inside …….instead of being nice and smooth it went sort of rough and bitty, my limb centre changed it (almost straight away and sent it back for “tests” ) never did find out what went wrong but as soon as I got a new one on my rash cleared up straight away …..Pre haps I got a bad one who knows?

Or just a guess here, could it be with the colder weather you are dressing a bit more warmly and your stump could be sweating that little bit more without you knowing it

Hope you get it sorted & take care ……………Mick

• Like 1

I kind of get the same reaction that you describe from new liners, Kate.

If I get them, wash them very very well a couple of times with a little extra soap, then I'm ok. If I don't I will end up almost blistered from them each and every time. It has to do with what they have in them for moisturizing that does it. They are supposed to be aloe embedded, but I use straight aloe when I am very dry. What ever it is, if I don't follow that rule, then I will have a red rash that will itch so bad it blisters. Then, I have to use a Benadryl get to get every thing calmed down again. The gel lotion allows thing to calm down and heal without really itching much. It doesn't hurt the liner either. (Better than swallowing more pills) The Benadryl gel is over where the calamine lotions are. That and poison ivy itch relief.

Hope something helps..

• Like 1

Me again!

Thanks everyone. I've not changed anything Johnny and I've not done any hair removal either as that might be asking for follicle problems. I think Mick you might have something. The liner is looking a bit old now and is changing colour too, so maybe that is something to do with it. I like the Aloe tip Higgy and a few people have mentioned new liners causing rashes so I will keep that in mind when I change it! I wore it for 6 weeks of intensive 'Walking School' over the hottest part of the summer and didn't get a heat rash of any sort so I'm kind of baffled. In the meantime I'm changing any lotions and cleaning agents just in case I've developed an allergy to any of them over the few months I've had my leg and will see what the prosthetist says when I see her in the new year. My skin has always been very sensitive and I have never used any chemicals on it because of that (apart from very expensive perfume which is a woman's right! :biggrin:). In the mean time I'm taking the antihistamines so it doesn't get any worse....I just hope I'm not developing an intolerance to the liner fabric itself.

Well it sounds like you're considering every possible angle, Kate. Since it's absolutely the same exact liner, Mick may have the best idea (liner is in need of replacement). Even if it's not showing much in the sign of wear if it's just stretched out to the point where it's doing a bit of "slipping" and rubbing, that might be enough to trigger a rash in someone with such sensitive skin.

If you find a solution, please remember to share it with all of us...it would likely help someone else in the future! :wink:

• Like 1

Thanks Cheryl, I'll let you know if I find out what is causing it. In the meantime:

1. Change cleaner for the sleeve

2. Change moisturiser (aloe!).

3. Thoroughly wash new product when I get it.

and, of course, scrupulous attention to daily care of the sleeve!