Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

Everyones story

Hi Folks,

My name is Dennis, I a Bi-Lat Ak and new to the forum. I just give you the condensed version of my story, in 2003 a woke up on morning & was unable to get out of bed (severe back pain) Over the the next several months we did all the usual testing & discovered that my lower back had been eaten away (cause unknown / probably an infection) so a few surgeries later my back was fused (screws, rods, all that stuff) & I was given large doses of anti-biotic. I was in & out of the hospital several times trying to find the source of the infection, no luck. In 2004 everything went berserk, everything was shutting down, the 1st hospital told my family I'd only be around a few more days, (fortunately they didn't except that & moved me to another Hospital) The blood flow to my legs was shutting down, so both legs were amputated below the knees. More testing discovered the infection was actually in the heart valve & had to be removed. So after open heart surgery & several attempts to control the infection in my legs, the decision was made to re-amputate above the knees.

Now I'm doing well, I get around with 2 C-legs and a couple of cane. I'm very involved with a local Amputee Support Group, actively trying to get Insurance legislation passed and working part time. Life is good!

My family is very supportive & was raised to believe whatever challenges we face in life only make us stronger.

I drive my wife crazy finding ways to do all the things I used to do and I'm very happy that after some modifications bicycling is part of my exercise program.

Looking forward to being part of your group.

Dennis :unsure:

G'day Dennis and welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Join in the fun if you can :P

Cat

Welcome to the forum, Dennis. Sounds like you are definitely getting on with life.

Hi Dennis and welcome to the forum. Also looking forward to you being part of the group.

Hello Dennis. It sounds to me like you are going to fit right in. Nothing like having experiences to share with others. Beats all of the "school book l'arnin' " any time. Your "Can Do" attitude is great.

Welcome.

Welcome Dennis. Membership is free, but to be a member is expensive.

I think I have your name to contact about our insurance parity case in Oklahoma. I'll be in touch.

Hello, another newbie here. I am 43 years old living in Durham in the UK. I'm a diabetic - type 2 treated with insulin. My story realy started in 2003, I will begin -

I was a carer for my mum for over 14 years, my health wasn't excellent but could cope, then in 2003 my mum passed away quite suddenly, two months later I saw a black spot on the under side of my right big toe, to cut a long story short eventually I had to have the toe removed, I was getting on ok but the surgeon kept me in hospital for 5 weeks, as he didn't want me to go home alone, which I was apart from my loyal Border Collie dog. Anyway, that was healing but I must have been putting more pressure on my other foot and developed a ulcer on the ball of the foot, While they were treating that I contracted chicken pox which put the treatment back a bit. One day I went back to hospital to get my dressing changed and one of my middle toes looked blue, the nurse called the surgeon and was decided to take off that toe, so I went into hospital two days afterwards when I got there, they remoed the dressings, two more toes had turned black so the surgeon and i decided to remove the forefoot on the left leg, this meant another 5 weeks in hospital again leaving my poor dog with the neighbours popping on a regular basis to look after him. I had the operation but they weren't to hopefull of keeping the leg, they thought they might have to do a LBK, anyway they suggested using larvae therapy, I would try anything so they did it and it worked. Then I developed another ulcer on the right leg, where the big toe was removed, this was below the little toe, so again had to have the forefoot removed on this foot too, this happened as soon as I got the left foot healed. so again 5 weeks in hospital. This operation was a bit more severe than the first one and he had to cut down the side of my foot too, on the outer side. This wound was very slow to heal, in fact it was over a year and it still dfidn't heal. anyway I was able to put a shoe on the left foot and it was healed nice, then one day I developed a bit blister on the outerside of my foot, this in turn went into another ulcer which then went down tot he bone, which was very painful, so the surgeon told me there was nothing he could do, I needed a BKA, I cried buckets, all I wanted to do was to walk my dog, I wouldn't be abler to. I had this done and it healed up really well, I had to go into a rehab centre as my house wasn't suitable for me to go back to, apaart from having stairs to go upstairs, I had three deep steps to get into the house itself, I stayed at the rehab place for six and half month, it was such a long time to be without my dog, After that I was able to walk find in my limb, but still having trouble with my right leg, eventually i developed another ulcer on that foot this then broke into a cluster of ulcers and this resulted in me having my right BKA done, this time I was only away for 4 month. I learnt to walk with both limbs in a total of 12 days.

Well that's my story, feel free to ask questions if you wish.

I now have another problem, my old stump some how has got a scratch on it and keeps bleeding so I can't wear my left limb for a few days.

Thanks for having me on your forum, it's a great pleasure to meet you all.

Ian

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

hope you enjoy the forum and get as much out of it as I do.

Hi, Ian... I think I remember you from another place and time... and I think you were a single BKA then. It sounds like you've been through an awful lot! Welcome to the forum... you've found a really great group of folks here! Settle in and stay a while... sounds like you could use a chance to rest and have a few laughs!

Hi, Ian... I think I remember you from another place and time... and I think you were a single BKA then. It sounds like you've been through an awful lot! Welcome to the forum... you've found a really great group of folks here! Settle in and stay a while... sounds like you could use a chance to rest and have a few laughs!

/

Hello cherylm, yes we have met before, how you doing? And yes I certainly could do with a rest and a laugh

G'day Ian and welcome to our little home.

Hope you can join in the fun and we hear lots more from you. :)

How's your dog doing now?

Cat

Hi and welcome, I am a LBK due to congenital deformity so nothing as stressful as you have had. Hope your dog is fine, stick around its a great bunch on this site - I'm certainly glad I found them.

Sue

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the warm greeting, we are both doing fine, Blackie, that's my dog's name won't go far from me, he is so faithfull. When I lost my first leg he didn't appear to be bothered. But when I went to bed I lay on the top and woke up once to see him inspecting my stump then my new limb. He is clever, when I was sitting in a chair and was getting up he used to jump into the chair behind me and push against me to help to get me up onto my feet, then he would walk beside me watching my feet and moving anything in my way - toys etc.

When I came back this time after having the other leg off he wasn't bothered again until I went to bed, then he inspected both legs while he thought I was asleep.

But when I take my legs off and get into my wheelchair he cries and whimpers on, and the worry in his face is just unbelievable.

I'll have to start a new topic about him, where can I put it? I'm just new and don't really know where to put what! :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Ian

Welcome to the forum, Ian. :)

Hi Folks,

My name is Dennis, I a Bi-Lat Ak and new to the forum. I just give you the condensed version of my story, in 2003 a woke up on morning & was unable to get out of bed (severe back pain) Over the the next several months we did all the usual testing & discovered that my lower back had been eaten away (cause unknown / probably an infection) so a few surgeries later my back was fused (screws, rods, all that stuff) & I was given large doses of anti-biotic. I was in & out of the hospital several times trying to find the source of the infection, no luck. In 2004 everything went berserk, everything was shutting down, the 1st hospital told my family I'd only be around a few more days, (fortunately they didn't except that & moved me to another Hospital) The blood flow to my legs was shutting down, so both legs were amputated below the knees. More testing discovered the infection was actually in the heart valve & had to be removed. So after open heart surgery & several attempts to control the infection in my legs, the decision was made to re-amputate above the knees.

Now I'm doing well, I get around with 2 C-legs and a couple of cane. I'm very involved with a local Amputee Support Group, actively trying to get Insurance legislation passed and working part time. Life is good!

My family is very supportive & was raised to believe whatever challenges we face in life only make us stronger.

I drive my wife crazy finding ways to do all the things I used to do and I'm very happy that after some modifications bicycling is part of my exercise program.

Looking forward to being part of your group.

Dennis :rolleyes:

Welcome Dennis!! Nice to see you here!! :)

Susan

Hello Ian

I went into the hospital to have some bypass repair surgery, and got out a month later without the lower part of my right leg (BKA). End of story.......Well, maybe not exactly, but enough for now. Listening to, (reading), your story, makes me thankful for many things.

Welcome to our (your) forum. I'll read about "Blackie", whereever you talk about him. Sounds like a good friend.

Hi,

if anybody should be interested:

The Sarcoma Alliance were gracious enough to publish my story on their website:^

http://www.sarcomaalliance.org/

Click on or scroll down to SUPPORT, then click on Personal Stories: Michael Wackers, that's me.

Kind regards,

Mike

Well, I am a newbie, so here is my story!

My name is Samuel, I am 30 years old. I live in Duncan Oklahoma. When I was 3 years old, I was playing hide n seek with my sister. My grandpa came home for some unknown emergency, and put his loaded deer rifle under his bed. Well being like a 3 yr old, I hid under the bed, and found the gun. I pulled it out, and started messing with it, and my sister tried to take it away, and it during the struggle the gun went off. It blew my left leg off below the knee, and my middle finger on my left hand completely off. I don't remember why, or how it got my hand, but was told that I had my hand on the barrel. So after the dust settled, and the smoke cleared, I was left without a left leg, and they saved my hand, but amputated the finger off of my hand with a skin graft.

Now I am grown, and am married to a wonderful lady, who helps me through my good, and bad days, and also we have a lil boy who just turned 1. I am in the middle of the process of getting a new prostheses made at Sabolich here in Oklahoma. I have never had any interaction with other amputees in my life, or have had any amputee friend. I know Neal from Myspace, and he put me here on this forum. We talk back, and forth, and he is a wonderful guy! Thanx Neal for your help, love, and support.. I am looking forward to meeting all you guys, and talking to to you all.. Anyways, Have a great afternoon, and I will be back on this evening sometime..

Samuel

Hi and welcome - you will quickly find that everyone here is very welcoming and friendly. Between us we have a whole range of experiences and you will be able to get a alot of support adn advice.

Sue :D

Well, I am a newbie, so here is my story!

My name is Samuel, I am 30 years old. I live in Duncan Oklahoma. When I was 3 years old, I was playing hide n seek with my sister. My grandpa came home for some unknown emergency, and put his loaded deer rifle under his bed. Well being like a 3 yr old, I hid under the bed, and found the gun. I pulled it out, and started messing with it, and my sister tried to take it away, and it during the struggle the gun went off. It blew my left leg off below the knee, and my middle finger on my left hand completely off. I don't remember why, or how it got my hand, but was told that I had my hand on the barrel. So after the dust settled, and the smoke cleared, I was left without a left leg, and they saved my hand, but amputated the finger off of my hand with a skin graft.

Now I am grown, and am married to a wonderful lady, who helps me through my good, and bad days, and also we have a lil boy who just turned 1. I am in the middle of the process of getting a new prostheses made at Sabolich here in Oklahoma. I have never had any interaction with other amputees in my life, or have had any amputee friend. I know Neal from Myspace, and he put me here on this forum. We talk back, and forth, and he is a wonderful guy! Thanx Neal for your help, love, and support.. I am looking forward to meeting all you guys, and talking to to you all.. Anyways, Have a great afternoon, and I will be back on this evening sometime..

Samuel

Welcome Samuel to our cozy, fun lovin forum. How is your prosthesis coming along @ Sabolich? Have they made your others? I have always heard they are the Best.

:) ann

My leg is almost done, and yes they made my very first prostheses. After that I went on to the Shriners, and

as I got grown, it was my responsibility. Now I got some decent insurance, I got to go back to Sabolich, and ye they are like the best in the nation..

:P

Ok my name is Paula and I think I told a bit about my story before but hey my memory is not what it used to be so here goes.

I am 58 and both of my parents are not living. I have one sister who will be 62 very soon. When I told her I was to become an amputee back in 2002 you would have thought I just stated that I was an axe murder wanted in all states and my picture was well posted in the post office. The only cousin that speaks to me had the same reaction.

I tried to save my left leg for 2.5 years and had 13 surgeries. I was either in a cast, under the knife, or in a hard surgical boot. Most of the times non weight barring or hoping about with my walker or being pushed by my husband in a wheel chair. After break number 14&15 at the same time, in a cast and not walking. I looked at my orthopedist and asked him to bring in his partner who is a plastic amputation doc. Looked them both straight in the eye and told them, "either you use the scalpel to chop it off, or I use the chain saw". My only other option was to risk having a Cooper rod placed in where my tibia would be removed and be in a halo ring for about 6-8 months with no promises that I would not break through the rod and then I would quickly become an AK. No offense to my AK buddies but I was trying to save as much as I could. Two weeks later I was on the OR table. I have never looked back and thought whoops that was a big mistake. I progressed well in healing and through a good deal of hard rehab.

In 2004 my right toes and forefoot began to follow the same pattern and I once again looked the doc in the eye and said off they come before I am a DBKA. He agreed and once agin 1 week later I was on the OR table. So far so good I have not broken anything else yet. I manage well I work full time and I have just begun jogging. I have a great CP who listens to ME and then guides me through decisions as to what to do next in terms of foot to pick etc.

That is about it for my story. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Paula