Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Andrew

Hello everyone!

My name is Andrew and I am a 44 year old with a new LAK amp of 3 months or so.. I had lost my leg to a fractured femur and a poorly situated DVT when I fell in my house. I am currently working with Hanger Clinic to get a prosthetic, and they have been wonderful. I really want to return to a very active outdoor life, swimming, fishing, bicycling, and saw the Ottobock X3....<drool>. I then discovered the price tag associated with it ...<face palm>...very depressing.

I am absolutely stunned at the price for prosthetics, and the lack of insurance support. To make matters worse, each of these industries advertise on improving your quality of life and well being, and then try to sell outlandishly priced products that a small percent of people can afford.

Currently, between health insurance and my life savings I may be getting a C-leg, but I understand that as nice as they are, I will still be limited in my activities and I really don't want that.

Does anyone have any insight they can share and help me with, so I may steer my life towards a once again active future?

Thank you so much for having me, and I look forward to chatting with all. :biggrin:

-Andrew

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you had to join it this way.We never know what future has in store for us, right. But if it's any consolation, if you're 'hangning around' with Hanger guys, you're surely in cabale hands.

So it's your third month....but if you really think about it, you're not 44, you're actually three months old with a 44-year-old mindset. Isn't that exciting? I'm sure you know what I mean. :biggrin:

Back to the C-leg and this OB's state-of-the-art X3 'killer'. I've been on the former for almost four years. I'm 45, right AK, by the way, and I can't say I'm limited in any activities I used to perform before the amputation. Biking , walking on slopes or different kinds of uneven terrain are no problem, not by any means. Though swimming in the C-leg is out of the question. Other than that, you'll really get used to 'use' it to take the most of it.There's this feature in the C-leg, a standing mode, that I sometimes find particularly helpful. You can lock the knee agianst flexion between 7 and 70 degrees. It can help you save a lot of energy if you have to stand for longer periods of time.

But make no mistake about it. No matter what kind of fancy-schmancy high-tech X-whatever $80,000 worth of killer-leg you have, the most imortant thing is a well-fitting socket.( Wow, that was one hell of adjectivilal premodification, was it not? :laugh: ) You won't go far without it.

Of course, not everything will be the same. That's what I meant by that three-months-old age.
You basically have to learn how to walk again, and unfortunately in our case ( of transfemoral amputation), it always results (again) in greater energy consumption during ambulation compared to transtibial one.

Generally, like they say, things always have to get worse before they can get any better. I'm sure you'll be no exception to this rule and you will get your life back on track again soon.

Hang on in there, buddy, and keep everyone here posted on your progress.

• Like 1

Welcome Andrew,

As Eldar well said hang in there! You will get your life back again. Just try to not kick the next person who says "have patience". They do mean well but unless some one has really been seriously side lined physically they really can't perceive how you feel.

Do ask questions. Nothing is stupid. Your life has been tossed up in the air and you come back down with out all parts attached. This forum can be a life line for info and support. My last point, which I learned the hard way, is to give yourself time to learn to walk again. After 40+ years moving about with what you were born with the new leg does take time to adjust too. Remembering to think about putting one foot in front of the other - with new parts - does have a learning curve.

Jane

• Like 1