Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cherylm

Anyone Else Watching the Paralympics?

I've been enjoying the fact that NBC is actually televising the Paralympic competitions this year...and actually treating them as real, live sporting competitions, instead of just sentimental tributes to "the brave disabled people trying to carry on with life." The only thing I wish is that the programming was scheduled at more reasonable hours. So far I've been staying up REALLY late at night (or is that really early in the morning) to see the coverage. Fortunately, retirement makes that possible!

I've never been a hockey fan before, but I've become hooked on sled hockey...man that looks like (fast, furious, and rather violent) fun! And it's much easier to follow on a decent sized TV screen than what I used to try to watch on a little computer monitor!

Anyone else following the action from Sochi?

Here in the UK we are getting quite good coverage - it certainly helps that following on from the mainstream Winter games we're winning medals in events that we've not featured in for years (if at all).

I think it all follows on from the massive buzz that we had here in 2012 with the success of the London Olympics and Paras - for example a lighthearted short daily round up show for the Paras (""The Last Leg" on Channel 4) with 2 out of 3 presenters being disabled is now an established regular Friday night show in it's own right.

That sounds truly cool! The US public media has tended to lag behind on the inclusion of disabled athletes...or for that matter, disabled folks in any walks of life. That's been slowly but surely improving...more and more often you see someone with some sort of "challenge" just turning up at random on a television show or in an advertisement of some sort, sometimes even without any mention being made of that "challenge."

And, in my own life, I've seen public attitudes going from "Oh you're so brave and inspirational" to "That's a cool looking leg...How did they put that pattern on it? How does it work?" To my mind, that's real progress. The more normal, commonplace exposure folks have to us gimps, the more normal and commonplace we become.

I'm sure London did a lot to raise awareness. Good for you guys!

I have been watching and find them very exciting, and sometimes downright horrifying. Especially the downhill skiing events on one leg or a mono ski or with limited vision. Yikes! No one can deny that the competitors are true athletes and it is awesome that they are televised now. I live in the US but I record them, just like I did the regular Olympics, and watch them on my schedule.