Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
showtime1k

Allow me to introduce myself

I'm a left leg bk, lost leg due to motorcycle accident, well actually it was the car that hit me back in 2008 at the age of 36, wow now that I'm thinking about it didn't seem that long ago. I am on my third prosthetic, and from the feel of it, there will be a fourth soon I hope. Activity level has decreased since last fitment, but would really like to become more active. Currently in a pin lock system, but I've been hearing such good things about the suction and vac systems, didn't understand why until I read a couple posts n this forum really describing the difference and I want in, if of course it's physically possible.

I reside in ny, but wondering if I need to travel to get the prosthesis that I can be satisfied with. Hope to chat to some of you and share some experience

Hi,

Sorry you are having trouble with you prosthetic fitting correctly. I use a passive suction system by Ossur. I really like it, easy to put on and take off and fits snugly. I hope you get it all worked out. As many people on this list told me if it hurts or doesn't fit keep at it.

Good luck,

Beth Marie

Kamloops, BC Canada

Hi,

I am a left BK since 2010 due to a car versus motorcycle accident too. I use the passive suction by Ossur as well and love it. The leg feels secure and much lighter than with the pin lock. I think, though, that most people who do any kind of athletic activities prefer the pin lock because the suspension cannot fail. If you just want to walk and do general activities any of the suspension systems work and though I love mine people who have it rave about the elevated vacuum. Just seems like too much work for me and I absolutely hate the thought of an over sleeve. That's one of the reasons I hate the pin lock too. Can't stand the socks. The passive suction has the least amount of "stuff" - just the liner and the leg. Simple. You have to be able to tolerate a close fit to use it and that is a problem for some people. I hope you find what works the best for you.

Hi,

I am a left BK since 2010 due to a car versus motorcycle accident too. I use the passive suction by Ossur as well and love it. The leg feels secure and much lighter than with the pin lock. I think, though, that most people who do any kind of athletic activities prefer the pin lock because the suspension cannot fail. If you just want to walk and do general activities any of the suspension systems work and though I love mine people who have it rave about the elevated vacuum. Just seems like too much work for me and I absolutely hate the thought of an over sleeve. That's one of the reasons I hate the pin lock too. Can't stand the socks. The passive suction has the least amount of "stuff" - just the liner and the leg. Simple. You have to be able to tolerate a close fit to use it and that is a problem for some people. I hope you find what works the best for you.

A close fit? Is it comfortable. My first socket was so comfortable It felt like Heavan, at least until I walked I would get pistoning.

Hi,

Keep asking question, do your own research too and consider "interviewing" different prosthetists. If you are able talk to other amps too. Every one has their own specifics but finding a leg person you connect with is so important.

I had a parting of the ways with my first prosthetists due to a difference of opinion. I had felt at the time that maybe I could find someone who could better address my leg issues . It took time with another office to really see how skilled Bob is in his work. As a through knee amp the second office was unable to mount a test socket onto my knee component to allow me to test walk the fit. They said they didn't know how it could be done.Only being able to weight bare in a stationary position didn't give me a chance to try the socket in action.

I am back with Bob (Emerson) and would recommend his services to anyone in the Burlington Massachusetts area. His contact info is bob@astepaheadonline.com. Bob had been based out of NYC for the period I had been with leg office #2 so he may be able to suggest other leg folks near you.

Good luck!

If the passive suction socket is made properly a close fit is comfortable. It takes, maybe, a bit more tweaking than a pin lock socket because there can't be any gaps between the ribs on the sleeve and the socket wall or you will lose suction but it also can't be too tight. You can't adjust the fit with socks, except at the top of the socket, which is not where most people lose volume. It isn't a great socket for someone who has a lot of volume change throughout the day or whose leg hasn't stabilized yet. My husband tried it and though he liked the feel of it he has a lot more sensitivity in his leg, particularly the end of his tibia, and likes to take his leg off when sitting so the pin lock works better for him. This type of system requires a spray (mixture of rubbing alcohol and water) to lubricate the liner and socket to put it on so, depending on what clothing you are wearing, it is not always convenient to take it off during the day. Not like a pin lock that you can just slip off and then step back into easily.