Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
znarkm

Looking for support (for daughter)

Hi Marion

I´m Thomas - I live in Denmark and 6 years ago I lost both arms at the shoulders, so I can fully relate to what your daughter is going through.

If you want you can read more about me here:

I´m glad to hear that Lauren is doing very well with her feet and toes, and from my past 6 years experience I can tell you that she will only get better and better in achieving independency.

Before my accident I could only move my toes up and down and at the beginning it was hard to use my feet because of the lack of control of my toes. However it got better and within a couple of years I had total control of my toes and I can move each one up and down and sidewards when I want to. This makes it much easier to use my feet as hands, and now I can do almost everything with my feet.   

My wife (who is born without arms) and I only need two special aids:

We have got to high chairs with wheels in the kitchen. They are around 1 ft higher than the table, and we sit on them when cooking and doing the dishes etc.

We also have dressing sticks to pull up our pants.

Our two cars are not modified in anyway, and we drive with left foot on the pedals and right foot on the steering wheel. They are both automatics because we haven´t got a "free foot" to operate an stick shift gearbox.

Before my accident I would do everything I could not to stand out, so I had to work hard on accepting that for the rest I my life I would indeed stand out no matter what. In the beginning I felt very awkward and embarrassed when using my feet and toes in public, but when I accepted that I was not like everyone else, it was much easier for me to use my feet in public.

Now I don´t think about it any more. I have gotten used to people staring at me, and for exaple when I´m in a restaurant eating with my feet I just smile and wave my toes when people stares to much. I´m also very comfortable with people asking all types of questions and I think it´s actually a great way to meet new people.  

I hope that you and Lauren can find some use of my story and I want you to know that you can ask me anything you want - I´ll be very glad to help in anyway :-)

I wish all the best for you and Lauren

Hi Everyone,

Oh my, I can't believe it's been so long since my last posting here. I hope everyone is doing well!

Lauren is continuing to do very well. She has really adapted well, and makes progress every day. It's hard to believe how independent she has become compared to where we were and how she felt even months ago. Between her feet and other assistive devices, she can do so many things. There are, of course, still days where she misses her arms and feels down, but she's really made the leap to realizing that life is about so much more than her arms. She's still Lauren, and she's still amazing! She's doing well at school, and socially, it's so great for her. She's gotten more comfortable with her body image, too, and has started going out with her cosmetics more often. This has become her new normal, and she's living life.

So that's the short update. I'll try to come back more often. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Best,

Marion

• Like 1

Thank you for the update Marion. Glad to hear of Lauren's continued progress. Look into the No Barriers Summit and see if that would be something that she would be interested in participating in. It's going to be in Lake Tahoe this year.

Best,

I am glad to hear Lauren is doing so well--she is such a strong young women. It would be great to see you both at the Amputation conference in August.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi Everyone,

Wow - Hard to believe it's been almost a year since I've posted here! It's crazy how time flies. I hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for the holidays!

This update is going to be quick, which is a good thing. Lauren is doing very well. Every day continues to get easier for her, and she has really settled into her new norm. The days of thinking about "pre amputation" and "post amputation" are getting fewer and further between for Lauren, and she had an amazingly good semester at school. She's home now, and it's great having her here for the holidays! She continues to use her cosmetic arms regularly, and I think they've given her more confidence to go out and just be herself, even though they aren't functional unto themselves. Cold weather is always a little harder for Lauren given that it's not as easy to go barefoot or in sandals, but she doesn't let it get in her way, and it is truly amazing how her feet and teeth can do so much. The human body truly is amazingly adaptable. I'm going to try to post some new pictures here a little later so you can see just how far Lauren has come.

I hope everyone is well. Best wishes for a fantastic holiday season.

-Marion

• Like 1