Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GordoAK

Otto Bock SiOCX TF socket

Any AKs tried this relatively new socket with silicone inner liner and carbon fibre outer shell? The basic version has a window in the carbon shell at the back for seating comfort. The Pro version is more radical with large areas cut out. I also wonder what the prices might be?

http://www.ottobock-group.com/media/local-media/otworld/download-center/prothetics/646d437-gb-04-1206w.pdf

My doc works closely with one of the labs in Minnesota that makes these. The good thing about these is the ability to integrate an aggressive sit bone piece that is flexible and gentler to the skin and tendons. I am very sensitive to the knife like carbon digging into my skin. He made me basically the same thing but with a new inner wall liner called an EMS system. It is used with a vacuum system.

These run in the area of 15K for the socket only

Thanks for that info, CaptainKB. I checked out the EMS socket system. It looks similar to other elevated vacuum designs. I hope it's working well for you. $15k is pretty steep unless (mostly) covered by insurance. (That was almost the price of my last complete AK pros.)

I did get an token email reply from Otto Bock Canada. The SiOCX will not available here for a few more months. Of course, they would not talk about price, just "speak with your prosthetist".

I will definitely follow up on this and post again when I have more info.

Well, I am just wondering about the price for such a socket in Canada. In Germany these kind of sockets seems to be much cheaper. Maybe you go on vacation to Germany and go back with a new socket? :huh: