Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jeffamp

More legs!

Running. I am not a runner so that may sound strange but I do miss doing high intensity aerobics and don't get the proper bounce from my walking foot.

I would like to try a swimming leg to see what it is like. I now use a flipper that straps around my thigh. It works very nicely while in the water but it would be great if a swim leg would let me move in and around water instead of using crutches or scooting on my butt. The later is so dignified!

I have a very, very basic leg for "water activities"...swimming, showering, wet boats, etc...which has its drawbacks but which I love nonetheless. If I could have yet another leg, I would go for something good for biking.

Great ideas everyone! Cheryl - when you say biking - do you mean a leg with clips to clip into the pedal? What about your current leg doesn't work well on a bike?

Jane and kitkat, totally agree too! The bounce from a running leg is really great. It feel like I'm walking on a piece of wood when i transfer back to my carbon fiber walking foot.

I would also like to try a swimming leg. I think this would be particularly good for snorkeling - right now my sound leg gets tired very quickly.

I have two problems with cycling...if I had the possibility of a leg that would address both of them, I'd be a real happy camper.........

First, I'd need a leg that has more flex at the knee than my normal walking leg, probably something with the socket cut lower in back. Second, yeah, I'd need "something" to keep my prosthetic foot on the pedal, be that a full clip-on, a toe-clip, or something else.

I used to love cycling, but I've done next to none since losing the leg...just feeling my foot go flying off the pedal on a stationary bike is scary enough...crashing a moving bike terrifies me! So, since my prosthetics work for walking and water, that's how I get most of my exercise now.

Hi Jeff,

Consider trying the "Shinfin Leg Fin". I've been a life long swimmer and this gizmo allowed me to get constructive effort from my shortened leg instead of just having it splash in the water. If my spare surfaces - it has been on loan to another swimmer - it would be happy to loan it out to you or anyone else interested.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for telling me about the shinfin! I had never heard of it but it does look really useful? So you just attach it to your stump directly and it stays on?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You may get this note back twice....cat on key board.....screen going nuts.... anyone with a cat understands......

I do strap the fin to my thigh and also use a neoprene sleeve under the straps to avoid annoying scars and a skin graft site. The sleeve also keeps out sand and sun when outside. There is a company in my town that makes swim suits and wet suits. I approached the owner and asked if he would let me have a small amount of material to make this very basic sleeve.

The fin works great for lap swimming or snorkeling! If your leg folks don't know about it they should. I

I must sound like a info-commercial but for anyone who likes to skim this gizmo is great!

It has given me back one more piece of normalcy in life. As the adds say - "priceless"

Jane

How many legs can you have the fit at one time. I currently have a elevated being adjusted for the past year that I can't really wear yet but I want to get it right, but for the meantime i would also like to have a pin lock system also. How do I go about this. Do I have to pay out my pocket?

The matter of "how many legs" hinges entirely on (A) your insurance coverage and (B) your willingness to pay. Prosthetics are generally covered under "durable medical equipment" insurance benefits in the U.S....I'm not sure about other countries. For my very basic water activities leg, I paid for my first one out of pocket...we cobbled together my final test socket with a really low-end foot and a few rust-resistant connectors and pylon. When it came time to replace that leg, I was able to get my new socket cast and fabricated as "pay" for time serving as a fit model for a seminar, we used the foot from my previous walking leg, and the connectors and pylon were "odds and ends" left over from various previous legs. My insurance pays only for a single walking leg...but it's been worth it to me to come up with ways to fund the "extra" prosthesis.

If you can get the elevated suspension worked out, I think you'll really like it (I know that I love mine), but I also think there's quite a bit of difference in casting between that and a pin-lock, so you might have to pay toward the second socket. Talk to your prosthetist...they may have some clever "work-arounds" on getting you that pin-lock system.

Good luck!