Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barrie1956

Stump Crunch

Hi everyone. I am AK amputee. Motor cycle accident in 1999. Am not especially active, but have taken up skiing. Had a bash at sit ski (too much hassle) and ski bike (BRILLIANT FUN!), but also trying my hand at 4 track stand up skiing. (Back in the day, I used to be a fairly good skier). The 4 track is going well, with one exception. As I shift my weight, from side to side (eg when turning), the end of my femur "crunches" across the muscles of my stump. This is at best a really unpleasant sensation, at worst, it hurts like hell. Since I think I have quite a lot of spare muscle on my stump, I am in conversation with a plastic surgeon, with a view to an operation, to "take up the slack". However, it occured to me that this stump crunch might be something that all AK skiers have to put up with. In which case, I'd be wasting my time by having another operation.

Are there any AK skiers out there who can advise me? Do you experience Stump Crunch, even if you have a neat stump?

Interesting question...but I'm (A) not an AK amp and (B) not a skier. I'm curious, though, and I think it's a good idea for you to ask before having additional surgery.

Do we have an AK skier who can advise??

The more I think about it, the more I think that this isn't a skiing matter. I think I just have too much soft tissue (muscle) on my stump, with the result that it sometimes crunches, if I catch it wrong. Conversely and perversely, today I felt the end of the femur pressing on the inside of my socket, at the back. So, clearly, not all that spare muscle is in the right place. Has anyone had an operation to fix this sort of thing? To make the stump neater? I THINK that is what I need, but I'm reluctant to go "under the knife " again, until I am more sure that it's a good idea. Appreciate your help!

HI Barrie, I know its a while since you posted this but have you had any luck sorting the 'crunch'? I get this sensation a lot when putting my leg on, also above knee, and usually have to shift my weight a bit to get it to 'click' back to the right place if that makes sense? It feels like the bone is not sitting in the right position on the muscle? Unfortunately this weekend I fell over while on my crutches and really knocked my stump, so much so that I haven't been able to wear my leg for three days. I have managed to get it on today but cant put any weight on it as it feels locked in the 'crunch' position and I cant get it to unlock!! Would be really interested to find out if you have done anything about your crunch!