Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

How Insulted Should I Be?? A Very Strange Event...

Well, I went over a year without my recurrent foot wound popping open...and then in the middle of the Christmas season — oh happy, happy, joy, joy! :sad: — it put in a return visit, severe enough to send me into the hospital for six weeks on a wound vac and waaayyy too many hours spent with my leg elevated. My podiatrist now believes he's sorted out all the causes of this persistent sore, and I'm set for foot and leg surgery on Feb. 24. (These will be surgical procedures 5, 6, and 7 on my poor old right foot....but since only six weeks ago we were afraid that I'd be losing at least a part of that foot, I suppose that three more procedures and two months in a cast isn't that bad.........)

Anyway, before I head off for the surgery, I'm seriously considering writing a letter of complaint to the rehab hospital where I spent those six weeks on the wound vac with my leg up in the air. Before I do so, I'm just wondering if I'm over-reacting to an incident that occurred there. I know it was "wrong," and quite "out of place"...but a week after it happened I'm still fuming about it. Please help me get some perspective here!

One morning shortly before I was discharged, I was awakened by a a nursing assistant who asked if she could take me for an early shower. "I have nine patients to shower this morning," she said, "so if I can take you now it would help." I said sure, being a cooperative patient, so she helped me out of bed and into the shower chair and basically ran me down the hall to the shower room, giggling the whole time. I should have considered that a warning........

Once in the shower stall, I told her I was fine on my own and started to do the whole showering thing. She then announced that she was "in a hurry and would help me." Now I'm used to nursing assistants giving me some assistance in the shower, especially for those areas that are tough to reach...but this gal just barged right in, grabbed the shower head out of my hand and started soaping and scrubbing me, while I protested. Weird...but then it got really, really strange.

She grabbed my stump, lifted it up, started to soap it...and then started giggling again and bouncing it up and down in her hand! "Oh, look! It's all floppy!" she announced, still bouncing it around and laughing while I tried to wriggle it out of her control.

I have to admit that I was shocked. So shocked, in fact, that I couldn't come up with anything to say to express my outrage...beyond "DON'T." Normally I have a fairly quick comeback for anything that comes my way, so I was almost as mad at myself as I was with her. Then "shower time" was over, I was back in my room, and the whole routine for getting me discharged from rehab and sent home kicked in and I just thought in terms of "get me out of here right now" until I was indeed headed for home at last.

Now I do have to say that all the rest of my stay in this facility was good and the rest of the staff was very professional and caring. They did a lot to get me healed, they did their jobs well, it was, overall, a good skilled nursing facility. If I ever need another stay somewhere for rehab, I would gladly go back to the place. But I am still fuming over that shower and the idiot girl who thought it was funny to manhandle my stump and laugh at my muscle atrophy. I am more than half-convinced that she must have been "high" on something to react in such a bizarre manner...and I also wonder what she might do with patients who aren't as alert and able to defend themselves as I am.

Sooooo...I'm trying to come up with a letter to facility administration, and I want to make clear just how inappropriate that shower was and how outraged I was at my treatment and how concerned I am about the possible treatment of others at this girl's hands. But there's this part of me that's afraid that I might just be over-reacting, and I want to come across as not just an hysterical old woman. And so I ask you guys...would you be as mad as I am about such an event? And what would you do?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems Cheryl and I wish you all the best for your forthcoming surgery. Yes, it's a pain, but as you say, better than losing part of your foot...

I honestly don't think you're overreacting (sp?) about your alarming experience - I'd be fuming too!The woman showed not only extreme ignorance, but her insensitivity is unacceptable for someone in her position. I'm sure that her 'boss' ( I think here in the UK it would be the Sister-in-Charge) would want to know about the incident. As you so rightly point out, there are other patients who may not be as alert and assertive as yourself who will also have to experience her bizarre and unorthodox practices! There are so many people who are unemployed who would LOVE a job like hers, and if she doesn't like her work I'm sure there are plenty of competent, sensitive and professional women who would gladly do it for her. You can always temper your complaint by praising those areas of care which you found to be excellent.

Good luck and do let us know what you decide to do - and what the response is. And keep us posted about your surgery too!

• Like 3

Hi Cheryl ,

Firstly sorry to read about all the bother you are having with your foot and I hope that you can get it sorted soon.

Now to your post , as you may or may not know as far as amputation and all the stuff that goes with it I tend to treat mine as a huge joke , make jokes about it ,couldn’t care less what other people think or say don’t give a monkeys who see my “stump” when I stop to sort it out …………….but after reading your post I must admit I would feel outraged at what happened , in fact not even my wife would carry on like that and like I say I’m so easy , I can honestly say I would most likely punch the person and report them ……………….unless she was a tall leggy blond wearing a skimpy outfit and a drop dead beauty but then I think I’m on about a different scenario (mick slaps himself round the face) No I can honestly say if that happened to me I would report the person and kick up a right stink not only for myself but for any other people who might end up in the same situation as you

• Like 2

Hi Cheryl,

You should definitely report the incident. It would be doing the facility a favor as people like this give the hospital a bad reputation. At the very least she needs further training in how to treat patients with respect and closer supervision for a time. She most likely is not suited to this type of work and the sooner she is made aware of it the better for everyone. I would write down exactly what happened and hand deliver it, if possible, to the Director of Nursing. What happened is totally inexcusable and inappropriate. Do all future patients a favor and report her.

• Like 3

Okay, gang...I've calmed down enough to write a coherent letter, and you've reassured me that I wasn't over-reacting. A letter is on the way to the facility! Thanks!

• Like 2

The last time I was in the local hospital for a small surgery, the LPN came in early one morning wanting to give me my insulin injection before breakfast.... At least an hour and 15 minutes before breakfast. It is fast acting insulin. I argued and refused the injection, no matter what she said, until my breakfast tray was in front of me. I was released that day, and the more I thought about it, afterward the more bugged I was. I'm a big enough loud mouth to make a point.. but what if I were an unsuspecting senior who wouldn't stand up for themselves, being afraid to say no..Well, about a week after I got home, I ended up calling and asking for the director of nursing. I then explained that what would of happened to someone, myself included, if I had taken fast acting insulin with nothing to eat. That maybe they should train the nurses better if they think they aren't understanding just what happens when giving fast acting insulin with no food.

I don't blame you a bit for writing a letter and letting the powers that be know what had happened.

Stick to your guns girl! I hope all goes well for you in the days ahead.. Will you have a way to stay online?

• Like 3

Higgy, I spent the entire six weeks computer-less this last time! Drove me batty! My other stays in rehab, there's been at least one computer available for patients...when I asked at this one, though, their response was "No...but we have free wi-fi." I guess it's time for me to get myself a tablet or laptop...my desktop home computer does me no good at all when trapped at a place with free wi-fi.............

With a little luck, this new surgery will only keep me out of circulation for a couple of days...at present, I'm scheduled to stay overnight, but there's a chance that, if the surgery goes spectacularly well, they could discharge me the same day. They already know I can meet all their physical therapy goals, since I just met them during my six weeks in rehab. Heaven knows I'd much rather be at at home!

I'd appreciate some good vibes sent my way on Tuesday morning! :biggrin:

• Like 3

I will be.. I'm only having a minor procedure on my left hand on Tuesday on won't even be put out.. Just a local.. and for that, they tell me to wear loose fitting clothing!. For my hand....

ah well..... such is the life....

Take care......

Prayers for you for tomorrow!

Higgy, I spent the entire six weeks computer-less this last time! Drove me batty! My other stays in rehab, there's been at least one computer available for patients...when I asked at this one, though, their response was "No...but we have free wi-fi." I guess it's time for me to get myself a tablet or laptop...my desktop home computer does me no good at all when trapped at a place with free wi-fi.............

With a little luck, this new surgery will only keep me out of circulation for a couple of days...at present, I'm scheduled to stay overnight, but there's a chance that, if the surgery goes spectacularly well, they could discharge me the same day. They already know I can meet all their physical therapy goals, since I just met them during my six weeks in rehab. Heaven knows I'd much rather be at at home!

I'd appreciate some good vibes sent my way on Tuesday morning! :biggrin:

Firstly hope the surgery went well yesterday Cheryl and my vibes found their way. Trust you are recovering well, back at home today.

Spent sometime myself in and out of hospital last year and over here too found a complete lack of wi fi, even sometimes mobile phone signal, so know the frustrations!

• Like 1

I'm doing good Ann...... Has anyone heard from Cheryl yet?

Ann, why am I just reading about you in and out of the hospital last year? If you facebooked me, I probably have cancer brain and missed it........

You ok?

Cheryl..................... OH Cheryl.................. Where are you????????? maybe she snuck out to see 50 Shades of Grey......lol

• Like 2

Okay...I'm back again! Just another round of medical weirdness following the surgery, which actually appears to have gone quite well...except for the month back in the rehab facility, that is. At first it was just supposed to be a few days due to a weight-bearing problem. (Boy I wish I was semi-competent with crutches!) But then, the day before I was scheduled to be discharged, there was a reaction to two of my post-op meds and i broke out in large, lumpy, painful hematomas on both of my legs...and my discharge was put on hold while everyone tried to figure out what was happening and how to best treat it.

Anyway...I'm back among the living and that's a good thing!

As for my complaint about the bizarre showering incident...When I arrived back at rehab, I cornered the charge nurse on my wing and told her that there was a letter on the way to complain about something from my prior stay and told her about the whole strange affair. She apologized and while she didn't reveal any specific details, she did let me know that the assistant in question had recently been "fired on the spot" for "a serious infraction."

And so life goes on.............................Wish I'd read about your procedure before I dropped off the map, Higgy; hope you're doing well!

• Like 2