Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kastley3

itching

Hi I'm Kevin could anyone please help me I am a Bi-lateral below knee amputee, my problem is itching it's driving me mad, the more i scratch the more it itches could anyone tell me anything at which may help

Hi Kevin, can you enlarge on the itching. What kind of itching. Is it kind of 'internal' leg itching or something external making it itch? If its the 'internal' kind, I've found there is not much you can do except try and ignore it, there are probably meds that will help, but I have never tried any and think it is probably related to nerves, healing etc. If its the 'external' kind, and there is a rash etc., then thats probably more easy to treat with over the counter remedies etc. Either way, try not to scratch!

• Like 1

Hi thank you for getting in touch my itching is mainly all round the top of my gel slieve at the edge it drives me mad at times

Annoying though it must Kevin, I think this is a fairly common occurance with liners, sleeves, etc., I have had that with sleeves also and had them cut into the skin,which has made them itch more and its usually when they have been a bit tight or maybe the material hasn't suited me, interestingly I get it more on one leg more than the other (am bilateral), which maybe to do with one leg being more muscular, but also maybe more sensitive as on skingraft doner area. Either way I have usually changed to a different type of sleeve and there are many types of sleeves. Have heard others say they get similar with edges of liners and that got around this with putting lotion or something around the edge, though check this out with manufacturers.