Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Chrissy

ACA Conference 2015-Tuscon

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here was going to the ACA conference in Tuscon, July 23-25? I was thinking about going and have just started to look into it but it seems very disorganized. I was curious first to see if I could get a hotel room at the JW Marriot where the conference is being held. They have a link on the ACA website that leads to a special page on the Marriot website for the conference. I thought it would be easy to just book the room online, but it said there was nothing available.

After numerous calls to the Marriot by myself and my sister, several people at the Marriot had no idea that the conference was taking place. Another couldn't get into the computer program for the conference. Then I was told twice that I could no longer get the ACA rate of $114 a night. They said there are plenty of rooms available in the hotel, but none left at the ACA rate except for one night, the 25th. That didn't make sense at all since the ACA website says the rate is available until June 30th. It just seems like it's too frustrating to try to put the trip together to be worth it. :sad:

Hi, Chrissy -

Well, I hope that you can get it all sorted out so that you can attend. I've been to a few of the ACA Conferences in the past, and I'm also going to Tucson this year. I have to admit that I did not book my own room...I'm rooming with someone else who took care of that some time ago. I also have to say that the connections with the hotel "seem" to be more complicated than in years past. Maybe you could contact the Amputee Coalition and see what someone on the Conference Committee could do to help you out. My guess on the discrepancy over the availability of rooms is that the Coalition reserved a certain number of rooms and "assumed" they would not sell out until June 30, but they did sell out early. (Just a hunch on my part.......)

The Conference is usually a quite fabulous experience...just being in a place where you are far from the only amputee around is great, and the workshops and exhibits are fascinating! Plus, no-one knows how to party like a crazy gang of amputees! :wink:

If you don't mind rooming with someone you've just met (I did that at the first Conference I attended), you may still be able to find someone looking for a roommate. Seriously, you spend so little time in your room that it's not that major a deal...the Conference Committee works hard to keep us all busy!

I certainly hope that we'll meet up in Tucson.......... :biggrin: !

Chrissy, you should call the Amputee Coalition.

Things aren't really "dis jointed", it's the way that they have been doing it now for several years. The reason that you can't book a room directly is because the AC has a "block of rooms at this special rate. You won't get anything any cheaper the other way, as a matter of fact it most likely would be higher. They can help you get a room at the rate they got for us, IF there are any rooms left. By now, many who go have already had rooms reserved since 2014.

Those that did, had to cancel those reservations and make new ones through the link on the website.

By now, any rooms that some would be wanting as accessible will all be taken. It is very late in the game for that. Many of us can make due in a regular room, and if you ask at the Amputee Coalition, you can possibly get a shower chair, or they can instruct you as to how you may get one.

It's not really that hard...

Also, at this time, some people will be looking for a roomies to share room costs... Ask about that as well........

I hope to see you there!

Hi there stranger!

I did hear from Chrissy...she has contacted the AC, the room situation has been worked out, and she'll be joining us there! (At least, I assume that you'll be there...I can't quite imagine a Conference without you!)

Hi Cheryl and Higgy,

Yes, everything with the room was worked out. The Amputee Coalition was incredibly helpful!

Looking forward to my first Conference and meeting both of you in Tucson!