Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
LBK

Bulky Foot Shell Issue

I am in the process of being fitted for a new prosthesis and have been trying the Freedom Renegade foot. It seems to work well, however, the foot shell is "bulbous" around the upper portion (where it meets the ankle area), making it extremely difficult to get shoes (laced or slip-on) on and off. I had been using a Variflex foot, which presented a similar issue, but not as bad as the Renegade. I would like to be able to put shoes on with less effort and would appreciate any feedback you might have on resolving this problem.

Hi, LBK, and welcome to the Forum! As an LBK myself, all I can say is that not a single one of my long history of prosthetic feet has been easy to put a shoe on. I assume that you have a heavy-duty metal shoehorn, which has been my solution...if you don't have one, get one right away!

I do have better luck with lace-up shoes than with slip ons...at lease in my case, if a slip on slips on easily, it's equally likely to slip off at unfortunate times. I've talked to other amps who swear by velcro, zipper closures, or sling backs with a strap that can be unbuckled.

In other words, my solutions are to alter the shoe type, because prosthetic feet are so inflexible. If someone out there has a better solution, I'd also love to hear it!

I am a left bka for 5 years now. I have to agree with cherylm. Unfortunately, you have to adjust your footwear to your footshell. This is really frustrating, especially when you change feet and so have a different footshell and the shoes that fit the prior footshell perfectly no longer fit on your current footshell. I do use velcro to help keep ballet flats on and a long metal shoe horn is a must for boots and helpful in general. Also helps get tight shoes off. Athletic lace up shoes are the easiest but I refuse to give up on cute shoes. Just takes more time and effort but it can be done. The one suggestion I have is to get your prosthetic foot one size smaller than your natural foot. This can really help with some prosthetic feet but isn't necessary with all of them. I, too, welcome any other ideas and suggestions.

Thank you cherylm & kitkat. I have decided to stay with the Vari-Flex foot because it has performed well for me and the footshell is more accommodating for shoes than the one on the Renegade. I think that the actual foot design dictates how the footshell is configured, so some are naturally going to be more bulky than others.

I have several heavy shoehorns and have bent them all trying to get shoes on. Need to find a much heavier-duty version. Any ideas on where I might find something like that?

Check with your leg team, too...I quite admire the major wad of metal levers that my prosthetics tech uses to wrestle shoes on and off prosthetic feet and, if I didn't have a commercial shoehorn that held up well, I'd ask him where he found that one. (It's just really bulky and really heavy, but it certainly does the job.) Good luck to you!

Hi All,

Kitkat, I'm curious to know how you use Velcro to hold ballet flats on. (Or am I being even thicker than usual?!). Do you use it over the foot from one side to the other? I have such trouble with 'cute' shoes as my prosthetist won't let me wear them and insists on trainers (which I loathe).I would LOVE to find a nice pair of flatties which stay on...

I use velcro that is self adhesive. I put the "soft" side on the bottom of my footshell and the "scratchy" side on the inside of the shoe. A tip to make it easy to line them up is to put the 2 sides together and stick them on the bottom of the footshell then, with them still together, take off the strip covering the adhesive and put on your shoe. Keeps the shoe from slipping off your heel.