Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zaia

shoes and boots tip wanted

so, i am not comfortable or accepting of being an amputee. i love to visit people without it showing that i am an amputee when i have to take shoes off and on when leaving (its quite frowned upon wearing shoes inside peoples homes where i live). so how do i deal with that? any particular brands/types of shoes that are more/less suited for prosethics?

Oooohhhh....the ever-frustrating question of shoes for amputees................. :wink: for a woman, that can be a major issue. I'll admit that not being able to wear cute shoes is the one aspect of being an amp that I've never fully adjusted to. (Of couse, I've had a major "show fetish" for most of my life, so that might have something to do with it.)

Seriously, shoes will be a fairly major part of your life as an amputee. You'll want to work closely with whoever builds your prosthetics...there are some feet that allow for more variation in heel height (and therefore, shoe styles). Generally speaking, a lace-up shoe, or one with straps (either velcro or buckle) is easier to put on or take off, which might help in your situation of needing to remove shoes for being indoors. As for "disguising" a prosthetic foot, well, there are some foot shells that look more realistic than others, but sometimes that can be a cost issue. A nice pair of sox might be another option. There are also various cosmetic coverings for a prosthetic leg, and some of those can seem very realistic.

However, your best "disguise" can be your own attitude. You're still new at this, but as you adjust and adapt to life with a prosthesis, you'll find that you'll begin to ignore that you have a prosthetic foot...and when you "carry on" as normal, that's how people will perceive you. I have literally been standing with my prosthesis fully on display, chatting with someone who does not realize that I'm minus a leg until someone else makes mention of it...and I don't wear any sort of covering on my "naked" prosthesis.

It can take a while to reach that level of self-acceptance, but please know that it is possible. The more you learn to do with your new leg, the easier it will be to "forget" that leg. It will take some hard work, but you can do it!

• Like 2

Maybe carry a pair of thin slippers with you. They sell slippers that fold up for travel and such. When you slip off your shoes slip these on and who will know the difference. I also hope you become more comfortable with being an amputee. I embrace it because that is part of who I am now and I am still the same person I was before - just minus a foot. I find that if I am comfortable with it so are other people.

• Like 2

thank you for kind answers. the attitude adjustment will take time, i guess. if any of you know any particular brands of shoes that are easy to slip on and off, let me know:-)