Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zaia

introducing myself

hello:-)

i am a below knee amputee since june 2015. still struggling to coming to terms with it emotionally and practically. i am here on this site to hopefully pick up some useful tips and support, as well as being offering support.

Hi, zaia, and welcome! Six months is not a long time when you're trying to adjust to such a radical change in your life...but life as a below knee amputee can be a good one. Do you have any specific questions? If so, please ask us...odds are good that someone will have an answer. If you have no questions right now, just feel free to look around and check out some of the other posts! :smile:

Hi,

Please don't get discouraged at this point, you are still a very new amputee. I felt the same way when I was at your point, but life does get better as long as you work at making it better. By this I mean doing strengthening and balance exercises and keep using your prothesis. It took me a little more than a year to feel comfortable lto do things, try things. One of the best pieces of advise I got was it the prothesis is painful--more than just a little uncomfortable--there is something wrong with the prothesis. I needed to go back and back and back until it was right. I am now7-8 years post below the knee amputation and life is very good and I can do most things I could before--I may not be the quickest to do it, but I can do it. As amputee we have to do all the things we did before in a different way. Different is not wrong, it is just different!!

One of the best sites in the world for amputees is It is a wealth of information of all kinds including an online booklet about being a first year amputee, exercises, and a much more active support group than the suit where you found this information.

Amputee Coalition | Resources and news for amputees ...

www.amputee-coalition.org

I wish you welll and please do not hesitate to contact me for support etc on this site.

Beth Marie

British Columbia, Canada

thank you both so much for kind words:-) i am keeping my fingers crossed that i will get better. but so still overwhelmed, so i will keep in mind that it might take up to a year to really get used to it.