Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jgane

Hello! I welcome any advice please!

Hey everyone!

Just thought i'd introduce myself as I am new to the group.

My name is Jamie , I'm 21and based in the UK. I'm not yet an amputee, however I have been suffering with both severe and chronic plantar fasciitis and complex regional pain syndrome. I've had this for about 12 years and I am now completely unable to place any pressure on my right foot. I've been under the pain clinic for about 5 years and I am constantly on tramadol to relieve the pain. I use either a wheelchair or crutches to get around and the pain is unbelievable.

About a year ago, I decided that enough was enough and I started to research into the possibility of amputation. Structurally, there is nothing wrong with my foot and I've had about 10 operations trying to solve the problems but I've had enough. I found a surgeon that would be willing to amputate however I need another surgery first (I hope for it to be this March).

Preferably, I would need the amputation to be in June this year as I am in my final year at university and hope to start a graduate scheme in September. I just worry whether it will be done in time etc etc. I would be willing to pay and go abroad however I worry about the safety of it etc....

I was just wondering if anybody has any advive at all?

Thanks!

Jamie :)

Hi, Jamie, and welcome to our little group! I'm an elective below-knee amputee and lost my leg after several attempts to repair an odd fracture in my left foot. It turned out to be a good choice for me...but I will say that I had to learn to be very flexible when it came to just how long my recovery ended up taking. Granted, I was not 21 (it was more like 50), so that made a difference....but if you do go ahead with the amputation, please try to get yourself in a mental/emotional state where you can adapt if you're not able to recover quickly enough to carry on with your schooling uninterrupted.

Three months can be enough to get back some general degree of mobility...but as you probably know from previous surgeries, a major operation is a major assault on your body, and you may or may not be in a position to recover quickly.

I'd suggest doing all you can in advance to get and keep yourself in good physical condition. I'd also do everything possible to plan with your medical and prosthetic team to "aim for" a speedy recovery. But know that all the planning and preparation in the world might not be enough. I know that sounds like a pessimistic point of view, but I don't mean it that way...I just want you to know that healing happens on individual timelines and that you shouldn't let it get you down if your healing takes a more leisurely path. It's not unusual for it to take up to a full year before feeling fully recovered from an amputation. So just know that if you do have to take a longer time for recovery, it is not a reflection on you as a person. You'll get where you want to be, even if it does take more than three months.

Good luck to you with this decision!

• Like 1

hey jamie. i was in a somewhat similar situation to you earlier this year, elective amputation due to a damaged and painful foot...i had been looking into doing this for years and years. finally, about 18 months ago a doctor agreed that an amputation could improve quality of life and scheduled surgery. however, i am like you a student, so the date had to be during summer vacation. june 18th this year i underwent surgery. i had read a book about a woman in a similar situation as myself, tons of blogs, articles online....and yet i was not prepared at all. i thought i would be considering i knew for over a year in advance about the amputation. 3 months after surgery i had to postpone an exam because my brain could not focus on the subject whatsoever. its been close to 6 months now and i've regained my ability to focus and concentrate. i am close to 40, so you might bounce back into shape a lot quicker than i did, mentally and physically, but dont beat yourself if you dont. these things are not easily predictable. "everyone" thought i would go through rehabilitation quickly due to being in quite decent shape in advance, but i saw others during my rehabilitation who've never been in shape getting the hang of walking with prosethics quicker than i did. you just never know in advance. wish you best of luck

Hey guys, thanks for your advice!

I try to keep myself in the best possible shape and attend the gym about 4 times a week. I've been undergoing counselling for the last 4 months to come to terms with my decision. I am really ready for it but I'm really struggling to convince a surgeon to do it :/

Zaia, thanks for your input and experience. Can I ask who your surgeon was please?

Thanks!