Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
showtime1k

What prostheses do you use

Anyone have any prostheses they recommend. Would be nice to review these places, Save a lot of time with trial and error. I mean years can be wasted dealing with the wrong prostheses.

I've went to

Amken orthopedic. I rate them about a 4, very outdated

Astepahead. Very updated all the latest technology, rate them about an 8. They would only do pin lock system for some reason. I asked the. About a elevated vacuum system and they steered me away from that with no explanation,

Prosthetics in motion. About a 6. Started off good but went south, this guy been trying to get my fix for 2yrs now,very frustrating . .

Ready to just pay out of pocket for a socket and put it on my old foot for now from somewhere. Don't think insurance goin to pay for another for a min, and I can't take another year trying to get this thing to fit

Hello, what is good for one amputee may not be suitable for another. I use the latest Otto Bock C-leg and have used the c leg since my 2009 amputation. I have also used a ski knee for skiing, I've used a non computerized knee also for other uses other than just walking.

I have used over 15 feet and the foot really is a personal choice as to what attributes you are looking for.

I have used elevated vacuum the entire time I have been an AKA. The company that didnt give you an explanation simply doesn't do them, that's why. Elevated vacuum is an art when done well. I am lucky in that my guy was in on the early years of vacuum and actually helped design pump motors, etc.

You can email me for more info. message men here first if you are interested.

Anyone have any prostheses they recommend. Would be nice to review these places, Save a lot of time with trial and error. I mean years can be wasted dealing with the wrong prostheses.

I've went to

Amken orthopedic. I rate them about a 4, very outdated

Astepahead. Very updated all the latest technology, rate them about an 8. They would only do pin lock system for some reason. I asked the. About a elevated vacuum system and they steered me away from that with no explanation,

Prosthetics in motion. About a 6. Started off good but went south, this guy been trying to get my fix for 2yrs now,very frustrating . .

Ready to just pay out of pocket for a socket and put it on my old foot for now from somewhere. Don't think insurance goin to pay for another for a min, and I can't take another year trying to get this thing to fit

What part of the world ,country do you live?

I should have also noted that many leg docs do not do the vacuum system because insurance does not cover it as easily as they do the pin sockets, especially now days due to Obamacare/ACA and the recently updated approval codes based on Medicare.

First step is to find a "good" doc with a proven record of vacuum use. Then he/she will let you know what your primary doc has to script < most important part. The rest is to build the system.

If you are going to do it, do it fast. The recent medicare code changes have been temporarily stalled thanks to 50 amputees and the Otto Bock team that went to DC to talk with Congress and had behind the door meetings.

This could change. Good luck.

Hi! I'm a newbie. DAK since 11/13/15. On stubbies via NHS at Westmarc in Glasgow Scotland. I can walk (about 200 metres), stop and turn around. Still trying to do 'normal' stairs and steeper gradients. The 'feet' are trademarked 'Sidekicks' but I don't know if that's a manufacturer or a model. I'm told they're going to lengthen my 'legs' soon, and afaik I end up on Otto Bock C-legs. Early days yet. Now….back to them dam stairs!!!