Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hi..My name is Bobby l live in the UK.  I have been amputee of the left leg for a couple of years.  I have just been given a new leg!!   I have been advised to use ALPS Prosthetic Lubricant..where can l buy it in the UK

Thanks for your help.

Hi Bobby

i have a silicone liner and use iceross lubricant spray.  It made by Ossur and costs approx £5.95 a bottle.  An average bottle lasts approx 1 1/2 months.  Alternatively I was told by my hospital to use water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid in it.

Hope this helps

icki

Hi , not sure if this will help but years ago I discovered that “baby wet wipes “ from the ASDA store seems to work just as well , a quick wipe all around the liner then the inside of the socket and everything is good . plus it helps to keep everything that little bit cleaner

Baby wipes seem to be able to solve just about anything!  I use them for quick clean-ups of my liner, suspension sleeve...and my stump, too!

And hi there, Mick...how have you been? 

6 hours ago, cherylm said:

Baby wipes seem to be able to solve just about anything!  I use them for quick clean-ups of my liner, suspension sleeve...and my stump, too!

And hi there, Mick...how have you been? 

Hi Cheryl ,

Been around , haven't been on here much , sadly it seems to have been very quite ..........not sure where everyone is & lost all contact with everyone , busy being recast for a new socket , last one lasted ten years so cant complain ,but finding the whole process a right pain and till it done I can hardly walk , something I really don't like  hope all is well with you

I'm doing OK now, Mick...but I was "without a leg to stand on" for about three months.  Had a couple of minor revision surgeries, followed by a MRSA infection and a lot of swelling that kept me hospitalized and wheelchair-bound for a while there.  They kept assuring me that I'd eventually be able to get back in my current socket and--eventually--I really did make it back in. :biggrin:  That's a good thing, since this socket fit like a thing of beauty prior to all the "troubles."  Having it back inmy life makes me happy.

I've never had a socket last for 10 years...I'm sure it's a major imposition on your life having to go through the whole fitting process after all this time.  Hope it gets sorted out for you soon!

• Like 1

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry to read that you have had some bother, three months without a leg would drive me mad as it is my mood go’s from good too bad the moment I have to take my leg off and try to do anything, so going three months would really make me moody to say the least, but I’m pleased you are back in your old socket and back to normal (whatever that is)

My socket used to fit that well, I actually resisted the limb centres planes to change it years ago, my motto is if it’s not broken why chance things anyway, it started to get uncomfortable about a year ago and like a fool I thought it’s just temporary I live with it, then of course it got worse and again I thought that I’ve been overdoing things if I take it easy it will settle down and things will sort there self out …..well as you know things don’t work like that , so by the time I swallowed my pride and asked my centre for a new socket the damage was done , at the moment I can only wear it for about 40 minutes before it becomes to painful and has to come off for a few hours but the good news is my new socket should be ready later this week (fingers crossed that it fits well when I actually wear / walk in it) I must admit it’s been a bit of a wakeup call for me …….you think that after 12 years as an amputee you know it all but in reality your still learning lessons (some the hard way)

Take care

• Like 1

May your new socket fit as well as mine, Mick!  Take care.............

• Like 1

thank you Cheryl, I hope your right ... but wont know till this Thursday part of me is very excited , part of me is ...what if it doesn't work ??  so I  have booked a week off work so if all goes well I can disappear into the hills to "get to know the leg" and hopefully get back to some serious hiking again its almost a year since I did anything .

take care

ps sorry Bobby for high jacking  your thread

• Like 1

Yes, very sorry for the hijacking, Bobby....and now back to you :wink: