Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Firebob

How long to till you give up and amputate?

I was involved in a work related accident.  After 12 operations in 6 weeks i was left with a L ankle amputation, it was an emergence operation in the middle of the night on a holiday, i was told it was a temporary operation and i would get a bka once i was stronger.  A few weeks later they decided they could not keep my R foot and did a below knee amputation.  I had no real issues for about 2 years,

For about the last 6 months i have had issues with my left ankle for an abscesses and other junk.  Spent 68 days with a wound vac in a nursing home where it "healed", but i have been let in pain and i'm getting a new open wound now.

Friday when i saw my Doc. i told him i wanted to get passed along to a surgeon to talk about doing a bka.

Am i giving up to soon?

I'm a data base designer so i'm able to work from RV / nursing home, but i want my life back.

Hello,

I just read your post and I wonder what decision you came to. In reading what you wrote: were you giving up too soon. If you feel you have had enough then I believe you know what’s best for you and how much you are willing to take in your situation. I say do what you feel you must do. Go for it and good luck!