Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Wondering what lotions would be great to keep from getting the constant Indian burn feeling. Also ways to strengthen and shrink my stump. I have gained 15-20 lbs since my new prosthetic and am prone to wheel chair most of the time which is not really a great idea being a stay at home mom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Hello,

I am new to this group, I know this post is old but new to me. I am a BKA for 6 yrs now. I was hit by a car and had to have an emergency amputation. As I look back on pictures occasionally, I see where I was HUGE!😄. I can smile about it now, but I was the biggest when I used my wheelchair. Being in a wheelchair for me brings a certain mindset that I detest, so I do everything within my power to stay out of one. I know at times it is inevitable but I would rather crawl to stay out of it. The more you use that chair - the bigger you will get. So try to make it your last resort- get on your prosthetist to make your socket right or use crutches - you have got to be more active somehow. The more walking the better. Good luck!

Thank you. My prosthetic doctor called me today to make me a new socket. I am as active as I can be with an ill fitting leg. A mixture of having to use my chair and my medication has caused my weight gain. I also hate my wheel chair because I am a very independent person and was very athletic before my accident. It's been 9 years and I still get emotional not being able to do things I once regularly had done 

Hi,

My heart goes out to you. It is disheartening to think of what life use to be before your amputation, that’s why it’s best not to think of it and get out of that chair- it gives your mind space to think on your past. You gotta get on your prosthetist to make the world complete or go to someone who can- it can happen. There are other ways to be more active - look up sit down exercises on YouTube. Good luck to you!

What type of leg do you have, if you don’t mind my asking. I have the Biome, with vacuum suction. I have been a BKA for six years tomorrow.