Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Barrie1956

Are hand controls damaging my arm?

I know my title may look like a stupid question, but bear with me.  I’ve been AK for 18 years and driving with hand controls for 16/17.  Everything is fine.  I love the independence of being able to drive and I don’t have much of a problem driving considerable distances.  However, I have three “issues” with my right arm, which operates the push/pull hand control.  In reverse date order, they are:

1.       After driving for a while, my middle finger has begun to dislocate, at the knuckle, because that finger does most of the pulling.  I’m therefore learning to spread the load across all fingers AND to use cruise control more.

2.      I have also developed “Tennis Elbow”, being the hardening (scarring?) of that specific muscle in the forearm which controls the …… you guessed it, the middle finger.  Again, I’m trying to spread the load and use cruise.  Also trying “off the shelf” exercises for TE, that seem to work, but prevention is better than cure.

3.      (And this is the real oddity).  I have recently been diagnosed (physiotherapist, GP, ultrasound outpatient) with a tear to one of the tendons in my shoulder (supraspinator, I think).  It’s been painful for 5 years or more, but I’m an amputee and we amps don’t fret over a bit of pain.  However, I don’t remember any incident, that might have damaged this tendon, so it got me thinking.  Have I damaged my shoulder by using hand controls?

Any ideas?