Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Need advice leg irratation

I am a recent below the knee amputi, Jan 1 this year, as my stub has sruck i have had to add socks and half socks to make my prothstes manageable. I am on my leg 8 hors a day and due to the heat and sweat my leg has become irritated to the point that its pianful. If anyone has any recomendations to solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Clay.  Firstly it sounds like you need a new socket.  6 months is a long time to go with your initial socket.  I needed a new one after 3 months and 30 ply of socks.  Secondly they sell lotions to control the sweat (get from your prosthetist) but I use certain dri which is a clinical antiperspirant I can find at most drug stores.  I put it on my stump in the evening and then wash my leg in the morning before putting on my leg.  It takes a week or so of using every night and then you can decrease to 3 times a week or whatever frequency works.  Having said that there are times when you just have to take everything off, dry the liner and your stump and put everything back on.  It is important to keep your skin as dry as possible to avoid irritation, skin breakdown and /or blisters.  If you've tried all that you may be allergic or sensitive to whatever your liner is made of.  If that ends up being the case your prosthetist can get you different liners - not all use the same material on the inside.