Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Scotskate

Suspension Sleeve problem

Hello all, I haven't been on for ages but do have a problem. I was offered to try out the suspension sleeve system following a new socket fitting. The socket is very very soft and comfortable BUT when wearing it with the socket, after about an hour my stump starts to cramp and becomes so painful that I have to take the sleeve and socket off till it settles down.  This happens on a regular basis and when I examine my stump it is red and had a circular, raised weal at the end of it.

My question is does anybody else have this problem? and is it because the rubber sleeve is squashing the arteries or is the socket still not right? I've had 3 fittings for this socket and although comfortable I don't know what the problem is. My leg lady says it should start to ease but this has been going on for 8 months - not every day - but enough to stop me in my tracks.  Any tips or ideas on what I should do? I am tempted to go back to the 'elastic strap and buckle' system but not sure. Any advice would be so much appreciated.