Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Josh`s Mum

Make Josh`s Day

Hi there,

My son Josh who is 9 years old was born with Neurofibromatosis.He had a pseudoarthrosis of the left Tibia (bowing) his leg broke at 9 months.

Josh has had several corrective surgeries done which include bone grafts,external fixators,Rods/pin.He wears a full leg splint to walk.

The orthopaedic Surgeon has decided to amputate Josh`s Foot/Ankle on the 28th of June.

Josh is a happy active kid who loves to play baseball,swim and other regular 9 year old boy actives.

The recovery process will take a couple of weeks so to re-direct his attention away from his leg during this time I have organised people/kids to send him cards.I want to inundate him with well wishes from friends,family,sporting heroes,and other children.

How can you help ?

Send him a card ......

The postal address for the cards is.....

Josh Uhrig

PO Box 335

Beecroft 2119

NSW AUSTRALIA

This mail box has close sorry ( 29/3/05 )It would be great to receive cards from all over the world.The cards can be sent anytime as we will hold them till his Surgery.Josh will try to respond to all his mail. A post op photo of Josh with his cards around him will be posted on the Australian NF Website www.nfaa.org.au

Thank you in advance

Debbie

Debbie,

Welcome to the forum we are glad you joined us. Sounds like Josh has had a time of it with the leg but I'm sure the amputation will enable him a better life and more mobility.

Share this web site with Josh as he can see many amputees have active lifestyles. I'm an amputee due to a congential birth defect and have worn a prosthesis since I was 9 months old and I will be 37 in a few months. I have always lead an active lifestyle and continue to do so today with my running and competitions.

I'll keep Josh in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Keep us posted on his progress once he has the surgery and if there are any questions you need answers to please ask.

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I hope Josh will have better mobility after the amputation,it should help with his hips and spine as well.

Josh would love to be competive in running at present he is pretty much last in everything,with the exception of swimming, he has very strong upper body strenght.

I have just read through your posts about your marathon running.What an incredible woman you are,its great to read such an inspiring story.

Debbie

Good day Debbie,

there's a card winging it's way to you OK,and sorry for your grief and hope every thing turns out right and a BIG WELCOME to our friendly forum, I hope I'm not sticking my nose in but I've been told that if you have the choice it's better to have the below knee insted of just the foot/ankle you could have more problems walking, I was told this by a bloke who just had the foot off and he would have prefer to have had the below knee op it was just a thought.

All the very best for the future, Keith :rolleyes:

Hi Debbie and Josh,

There will be a card on its way to you from the UK today.Keep your spirits up and as Brenda says we will all be thinking of you and your son. Keep us posted whenever you can.

Lesley, Chester UK

A card is on the way to your son from Ohio. Good luck.

Tonya

A card from Canada is also on the way . Good luck and keep that spirit up .

mj

:D A card will also be coming from Christchurch in the UK.

Best wishes to you, your son and the rest of your family. Keep positive.

Mike from England.

Debbie,

I wasn't going to post a long post as I figured you could read my introduction and other post that I have written here about my life as an amputee.. But Lili insists that I do so I will. LOL

I was born missing just my right foot so in actuallity I was a symes amputee. Had a bulbous end and a really long residual limb (I call it a stump). As Prosthetic technology advanced and new stuff came out I was unable to take advantage of such technology because of the length of my limb. So doing a lot of talking to my prosthetist and orthopedic dr I decided that a revision surgery to a BK was going to benefit me greatly. 1. I would rid myself of the bulbous end that was getting a lot of skin break downs due to being pinched inside my socket. 2. I would be able to take advantage of the New Technology and also when New Technology comes out in the future I can take advantage of it then as well. Having the long residual limb prevents you from taking advantage of the shock absorbers that are now in feet like the RE-Flex VSP by ossur like I wear and some others. http://www.ossur.com Since your son is young and will grow taking advantage of having one surgery now to a BK would be better then doing a symes and him having a revision down the road. I was 35 years old before I had the revision surgery and sometimes I wish my parents had considered it when I was younger. Dr's like to do symes amputation as they don't want to take any more off then they have to. They also think the benefit of having the ankle as a weight bearing surface but with todays technology and sockets being total weight bearing the benefit is not all that great and makes you at a disadvantage.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will do our best to help.

You'll have a card from Sunny Florida your way in the next day or two.

Hi Debbie: sounds like Josh has had a hard time - keep smiling :) things will work out. It is amazing what you can do with a prosthesis - Josh may even want a tatoo on his prosthesis - get him to check once he gets to meet his rehab team. A card will be sent from Canada. All the best and God Bless! Wendy

Hello Debbie and Josh,

Welcome to the forum. We are so glad that you found us, and that we are able to be there for you at this time of your life. We hope to be able to help in more ways than the card campaign, but we sure do like the idea of sending them your way. Card is on the way from Poughkeepsie NY USA. Please keep us posted on your progress.

We have some Ausies on the forum if you need to hook up with some people close to home. Just let me know and I will do my best to get a hold of them for you.

Wishing you all the best :)

Hi Debbie, which ever road you and Josh decide to go on, we are here to support you. :D Take care and Best of Luck.

Josh will soon have a card from Maine!!!

Sheila, LBK

Maine- USA

Keep Smiling :)

Hi there,

What a wonderful response !!! What a great welcome !!!!

Thank you Kieth, Lesley,Lili, Marianne, Mike, Afet, Wendy, Johnny V, Brenda and Sheila for your offer to send Josh cards...... Canada , London, Maine, Ohio,California, Florida, Poughkeepsie, England ...... I can see that I will need to buy Josh a big map of the world and a packet of bead head pins.Josh may miss a little school in June but his geography should improve.

This forum is a wealth of information ..... Wendy - is the tatoo on the prosthesis like a sticker ???

Regarding his cut off point .... I`m still not sure what they will be doing,but I will discus it with our ortho doctor.

Debbie

Hi, if I donĀ“t forget I will send off a card from Vienna, Austria today!

Regards,

Gizmo

Hi there Gizmo,

A card from Vienna - Austria ..... Wonderful !

Thanks and Kind regards

Debbie

I will be sending off a special card today, from Utah, in the USA. I have three boys (and a girl), ages 11, 7, and three, so my heart goes out to you. But honestly, from the perspective of an amputee myself, I would be excited for your sons future. He sounds like he has the drive to do great things, and a great prosthetic leg will let him do it all. There may be no stopping him a year from now! Please post a picture here, for us too! It will make our day, I promise!

Judy

LBK

Utah

Hi There,

Angie .... thank you in advance for your card from Durham England.Do all your english stamps still have the Queen on them .... Josh is a stamp collecter.

Judy .... I would love to post a photo .... but I`am not sure how ???? I`m happy to email you a photo ...

Here is a description of Josh ..... He has bright red hair, short but strong in his upper body,He has a tumor in his eyelid which has been remove twice and his eyelid has been recontructed.... hence he looks like he only has one eye. But he has a sense of humor and plays pirate sometimes .... peg leg - patch on eye.

He has a pet rabbit called snowy.He loves all sports and plays baseball.He enjoys swimming and riding his bike.He is a great kid with a wonderful personality nothing is a problem for him,he is well liked by his peers.

Feel free to email me anytime

Debbie

Lili ..... Hi, sorry forgot to respond.

J-mu ..... no problem I will answer to anything.

I read your private message and I have responded.

Cheers

J-mu

Debbie,

I'm level one tech support. If you need help with uploading a picture, just let me know. I would be happy to guide you through it, or take care of it for you. :)

Sincerely:

Josh's mum,

Take Johnny V up on his offer as he can help. He helped me post a couple of pictures when I couldn't get them to load....

Thanks Johnny V for all that you do to help us on this site!!

I tried to post a photo but an error was found in the type of file I was using.

Johnny v could I send you a photo via email???

I have got this cute graphic though

Debbie

post-12-1082192586.gif

Email it to me Debbie and I will try and figure out whats not happening.

Hi Debbie

I live in Cornwall, UK but I will be travelling to London and Spain before Josh's op. So I'll send a card from each location. Give my best wish's to Josh.

Best regards

Steve