Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Guest Kristina Thorson

New Amputee

Guest Kristina Thorson

Hello,

I am a relatively new amputee. I became a RBK in April of 2002. It has been a hard adjustment, but I am working on it.

Does anyone have any words of advice?

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

I am Agnes, 24, from Singapore. Involved in a motorbike accident in Jan 2003 and currently a BKA since then...

Had not even had my 1st prostheses yet, but is really looking forward to the day that I can walk again. :) Hopefully in another 2 months time, I would be able to stand on my own without the help of any crutches. :)

Was very sad initially due to the lost of my foot, but what has happened had happened and I can only make the best out of what I still have.

I always believe that life is all about choices coz you choose what you want to make out of it. I have chosen not to let my disability get in my way in whatever I do, and similarly, I believe everyone here might share the same sentiments.

I believe there will be certain adjustments that we will have to make, but let this be just a minor inconvenience that will not distract us from achieving the greater things in life. :)

Take care and God bless. :)

Agnes

Kristina,

Hi my name is Brenda and I'm from the USA. I am 35 years old and was born without my right foot, I had revision surgery on 8/1/02. I can tell you that you will have bad days but you can also have good days. It does take patience so when you have the bad days just have the patience to know that you will have good days to. As an amputee you can do ANYTHING you want. I have played all kinds of sports, ice and roller skate, swim, run, SCUBA dive and the list goes on. Oh I can dance a pretty good dance to. I will try everything once and if I like it I will continue.

My new thing that I'm doing is running for charity. I ran my first 5K (3.1 mile) race yesterday and it was GREAT.

Brenda

Welcome Kristina, :D

I know you will get all the help and advice you need from this forum, the people involved know exactly what your feeling and going through. Good Luck to you.

:D Vicki Williams Australia ( niki lea's mum)

Hi Kristina,

I am 2 weeks new to this site as well and just love it. Also, new to chat rooms and might not be aware of chat room protocol, but I am learning. :wub:

I am from California B) and have not even been fitted for my first Prosthesis. Like Agnes, I am most eager, after hearing the glowing reports from Johnny V, Niki et al.

Thanks Brenda for the web site address: http://www.fitnessforeveryone.com. I found a lot of help for an AKA, which I am.

Our experiences should not have happened to anyone, but they did.

I intend to live a full and positive life and this group is certainly helping me and I hope they help you.

It will get better. :)

Phyllis

Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting. :huh:

I really believe that this forum is going to help me on my way to recovery and acceptance. I've even been able to give a few words of advice myself! It really does make you feel good when you can turn a tragedy into something positive!

Thanks to all of my new friends.

Kristina

Kristina,

I can truly say it's nice when you can post a question or concern and someone is able to give advice or encouragment. This site was not up and running after I had my revision surgery but I found another forum that helped me along my journey to recovery and it was a big help. It's always nice to know someone has been there done that and has made it through it.

Keep the positive thoughts flowing. :D

Live life to the fullest.

Brenda

:D hey kristina... My name is Niki, i am a 20yrs and BRK scince June 2002.

i was in a serious MVA which nearly took my life, so that also helped me along a bit..

You have to think of it as a minor set back because you still have the rest of your life to live..(just in a different kind of way)...

Just be patient with the process of getting your prosthies'. It is very hard but it will pay off.. :P

I know that you can have your bad days, but so does everyone in our type of situation. :(

Keep positive and keen and you will find it gets easier as time goes on... :D

Any type of questions PLEASE ask. I would love to help...

Luv Niki... :huh:

hello Kristina,

I am also a right BK amputee since 1995. It is always difficult in the beginning adjusting to the new lifestyle, if you stay positive and believe you can still accomplish anything you desire, you will do great!

Best Wishes :D

Iris