Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Professional help

It would interest me how many of you have seeked professional help after your amputations.

Did or do you find that this professional help has aided you?

Or did you just get on with ... with help from friends , family. ?

I saw a trauma psychologist once (20 years after the accident) .The talk actually depressed me and i came out feeling rock bottom. Hmm, not to sure if i'd go again....

cheers Karen

Hi

I went on with the help of my family. I am sure that a trauma psychologist has his place. But not needed for me. See ya

Clint

Hi Kaz, I went to a support meeting a couple times, but other than that no professional help. I mostly got through it by reaching deep inside to realize there were a lot of emotions that had to be dealt with, trying not letting them build up. Also with the help from family, friends and my CP, he's a super guy and so understanding. Tho if I was to say where the most help came from, it would DEFINITLY be my husband. There every minute he could be, at my side through it all, he's the best, a great husband and friend. I found sometimes (for me anyways) with having so much on our minds trying to cope, we tend to forget how hard it is for our partners/family as well. After all this is a totally new world for them, so they too need our help and understanding. I felt we had to be strong for each and use that strength to get through it all, and thank goodness it worked for us! :D

Sheila, LBK

Maine- USA

Keep Smiling :)

Kaz , have you been talking to GIZ gurl ? :D

Well , I guess for me it was / is different because I was given a shrink just after my accident by the insurance company but the guy had about as must interest in working with me as I do in catching the flu so that went no where fast . I have recently been refered to another person who is much more willing to work with me and she REALLY tries to understand where my head is at . I see her once a week now and ya , she makes me mad , makes me cry , makes me laugh but at least she is a person i can talk to about my own issues and feel comfortable about it . Unlike many of you out there , i live alone and very far from my familiy ( i have to travel to the big city every week for this but then i stay with my mom and dad )

Speaking of which , i best be getting ready to head back home .

OH Lili , is my name , HARLEY , HARLEY GURL or HAWG CHIK ? :D ( even though I don't have a HOG )

mj

Great idea Lili..... ya got my vote!!! :lol:

Sheila, LBK

Miane- USA

Keep Smiling :)

No shrink needed here either, i only needed the backing and support of my family, good medics, good physio, good prosthetic, and of course my own strength of mind.

A few painkillers also helped, just for a little while !

Can`t wait to get back on the booze, but how do you walk when your legless (so to speak)

Lesley xx

Oh that's right, now I wonder what it would be..... Oh hell who care, ya still got my vote Lili, you're my kind of person, ya tell it like it is and no BS!! :D

Hi All:

Yah - I see one of these people. Partly cause, the insurance company pays for him and I want them to pay!!! Partly because I know that in any battles I have with the insurance company - his input can be a great asset!!!!

As to "needing" to go - I still feel I don't "need" to go.

ED

Ihaven't seen a professional, so to speak. I have a fabulous priest who has been there for me. He's a Masters Degree Psychology so I guess he's a professional. He was great. Kept me going spiritually and emotionally. When I had the really dark days he let me know it was ok. Anyway, that's what I did/do.

Lesley (meggy234200)

I saw a post on this thread from April 2004 regarding a wish you had to get back on the booze but wondering how you would walk in a "legless" state. I'm assuminng after all this time you have it figured out? If not, I'm here to help!!!