Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marianne

How do you get rid of stress ?

Wow , this week has been one of some great highs , a few lows and things that I am not sure how to name or catagorize but , there they were . I took great comfort knowing that those who are my friends would stand with me , support me , cheer me on and cry with me but whatever they did , they were there . However , there always comes a time when no matter how much help or support one gets , one ends up being alone for some period of time and begins to think about the events of the day or the moment and i guess for some those are either confusing as hell or at least answers to questions that one never asked .

Well , as i said , this week was a freaky week but i do have a great outlet to burn off all that extra emergy that a hyperactive gurl like me is full of . I will end up resorting to my art . I have been a decent photographer for years and while not great by any means , i have found a way to use the camera to talk for me when i just can't say the words . I have a decent computer and with the pictures i take , i have created some decent " art pictures " that i have been very proud of ... and , it has kept me in hair dye too . :P :P :P . I find that when i create , i am so hyper focused that all other things around me are as if they do not exist .

So here is my question to those who wish to answer . What do you do when you need to rid yourself of stress and does it involve some sort of artisitic creations .

Well , tomorrow is shrink day and i know this will be an eventfully day so , i think i will warm up the camera , warm up the computer , turn on the stereo real loud , ( mom and dad will no doubt hate my music .. staying with them for the weekend ) lock myself in the room and see what my mind comes up with . " praise each moment a little bit longer .... make the sensation a little bit stronger " .... ( Getty Lee ... RUSH )

mj

aka : slushy gurl

aka : harley

aka : whatever Lili wants to call me is fine :P :P :P

Hi

This is a good topic and all of us will have a little differnt answer. When I am stressed I like to play with my kids. Kids have no worries and see you for who you really are. When I am stressed I like to go to a special place in the woods be a creek and set. This is the same place I have played when I was a boy, many memories I have of this place. When I am stressed I pray to God to give me peace of mind. I like to pray at this special place at the stream. Somtimes I like to do somthing differnt than my usual day to day stuff, take my boat to a new place to fish or hike a woods thats new to me. We all probably have a special place we go alone or with others to let go of are problems.

See ya

Clint

Headphones and music(Matchbox Twenty lately) I just go into my tune pod and let the music wrap me up. Candles and a bubble bath are great too. Sometimes just opening a window and breathing... focusing on the in and out of it, can really settle me down when the world is pressing in. I vent alot to the family too, I seldom stew about stuff, I get it out and unburden my soul. Nothing beats a hot cup of tea and natter.

Have a pleasant exchange with your shrink tomorrow Marianne... that is what they are there for... dump the load and let them guide you to that relieved smile that comes from letting it all out.

"When there are no waves on the surface of the pond, the water is naturally still. When the dust is cleaned from a mirror, it is naturally bright. Therefore, it is not necessary to clean your heart, just get rid of the muddy and misleading thoughts, and your pure spirit will naturally emerge. Likewise, it is not necessary to seek happiness; just get rid of the pain in your heart and happiness will naturally abide there." - From Tending the Roots of Wisdom.

sparkle-.jpg

I like to cook when I get stressed but lately for me it's been music.

I lay back with the headphones on and close my eyes, and just relax. I find when my pain levels are really high, that if I concentrate on the music, it seems to lessen.

Janet

Another good posting.

Over the last few years i have been so busy looking after my dad (we lost my mum 4yrs ago) and working full time and looking after my own family that i don`t think i realised how high my stress levels had got.

Since my op i have had time to think and i realised that my dad can now stand on his own two feet ( he has the advantage over me there). I also realised that although my husband and son are not particularly domesticated they are not incapable either, its just that they don`t do things to my standards but i realised this doesn`t matter they proved they are willing to have a go.

These revalations took away a lot of the stress i had let build up.

Taking my little terrier dog meggy for a walk really calmed me down but she died a couple of weeks ago so at the moment apart from getting down to trying to rid myself of a great load of ironing it is pretty hard to let go a bit. I`m afraid i vent quite a lot on my hubby, he has the patience of a saint and is very understanding.

When he sees i am starting to stress he takes me out for a drive, i have always loved being driven around the lovely countryside, it works wonders for me.

Lesley, Chester UK

STRESS..... WHAT STRESS???? :unsure:

Lets see, I'll talk to my huband, if he doesn't listen, I'll talk to my birds, if they don't, then it's computer time. :lol: Sometimes just browsing, sending e-mails, on the forum, etc, I usually find that can help, along with a hot cup of green tea. I also find SHOPPING is a good stress reliever..... so long as I leave the card at home!! :huh:.... say what???? :o Going out in the boat and just relaxing, is a GREAT way to let go of stress...... that is, unless ya find a hole in the boat!!! :lol:

Finally, if all else fails, I go to bed and hope for..... Now, Now...... that's not what I was thinking, how about...... Sweetdreams!! ;)

Sheila, LBK

Maine- USA

Keep Smiling

My stress reliever is running.......

My stress reliever is sports - aerobics, swimming, hiking. But mostly step aerobics with a really sophisticated choreography which occupies my brain and does not give me the time to think of something else.

Interesting, that Marianne mentioned photography. Since photography is also one of my big hobbies; I am pretty good at it and I have developed the anxiety to cover all the walls in my apartment with my blown up pictures of different parts of the world. When I was done with that, I continued in my grandparents´ apartment, at the office, at my friends´places etc. I have also started organising my tons of slides in order to sell them to slide agencies - and hope to make big money!

I might not have a lot of idea as far as the technical side is concerned,but just give me a good, yet idiot-proof camera..

Regards,

Gizmo

Hiya Giz Gurl , ya , i actuall love to take pictures and I prefer to use film rather then digital pictures . I have two nikon F4's with a variety of lenses but i am planning to buy a good high end digital SLR as well soon . I would love to post some of my work here but i am not sure oif it is allowed so , until i am told it is ok , i will not post them here for now .

It may seem funny but wheen i create what ever it is that i am working , it seems that it is only then that i am at " rest " because all other distractions that are around are blocked out or something i guess . I really don't understand it all , not sure i want to either but i do know that it keeps me sane .

mj

Being a stay at home mom for twelve years now I had to find ways to do things "for me", to stay sane. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE being home, but cabin fever can creep up its ugly head quickly. Thru the years I have found a love for reading (mostly true stories, of people who face adversities and win!), writing (parenting type articles, reflecting on parenthood), sewing (something my mom taught me but then did FOR me..then when she died in 1994 I had to sew for myself and found I love it...dabbling in quilting also), and now I hope to add working out to the list....I was so limited before, but now can see a day when I could call myself "atheletic". And over everything else I also love MUSIC. When I am driving my kids around, or even driving to the prosthetists office, 40 min away, and have time alone in the car, I crank up my favorite CDs....my current favorites are anything by the Bacon Brothers. Love the raw garage band feel, and love their lyrics. Make me laugh, even hearing these songs for the 100th time. Music motivate me to work harder in physical rehab, makes me relaxed when I am stressed, and makes me feel light inside when I am doing ordinary things like making dinner or cleaning house.

Judy

LBK

Utah

Yep...Judy. I love cranking up my music really load in my car too. I LOVE singing, so i'm often singing along whilst driving and getting some strange looks at each red traffic light... :lol: but, im having fun....and music and singing for me are great stress relievers.

Creativity helps me too. I paint...well, try to at least :rolleyes: and like mj says it gives you peace and the concentration helps to block out the things that caused the stress in the first place.

And last but not least, cycling.....but only in the summer!

B)

Hi all,

Music is a great stress buster for me - also the beach - just love to walk on the sand barefoot and hear the ocean - with my 2 boys as well. Oh ...and chocolate too - lots of it!! :P

Lark - I really liked that caption and the pic that went with it.

Sue :rolleyes:

If I do not have enough time to go to the gym - house cleaning helps a lot! Normally I hate it (the only part of it I like is cleaning the windows, don´t ask me why!) and I praise and worship my cleaning woman. But unfortunately she can come only about once a month, and with two cats, a lot of visitors and last, but not least the die-hard messie Gizmo the place usually looks like aliens landed and ransacked it..

It was also a great option when I was still at uni and had to study for something - out of a sudden I decided that the apartment needed thorough cleaning RIGHT NOW...

Gizmo

Especially vacuuming , eh Giz? :lol:

I like to jump on my bike and take a lap around the lake...or just walk off into the woods for a little hike

Before my surgery I would eat when I got stressed, without even realizing that I was doing it. Now I jump (sorta) on my recumbent bike, crank up the tunes and ride on! When I have the music on loud I can sing along and pretend that I can actually carry a tune! By the time I'm done, I feel much better and sometimes even have solved some problems.

Caroln

Of course , i am soo overjoyed too that i have mae some new freinds of late who are really will to try and understand when i have something to get off my mind ... like last night ... or the night before that . ( you know who you are ) . I got a private e-mail today from a great , no GREAT friend who suggest thay they had a frined , a best freind but they could not sem to get out what they wanted . Is that ever sooooo true . I think i can add a great support system the my list of ways to deal with stress . Hmmm , i supose that sometimes , just talking and not worrying about who thinks what may be the best way to git ourselves of those tressers ... well , sometimes it is .

Oh and Lili gurl , i got the new name last night after we were talking about more hair dye .... which by the way , i did not do this past weekend . I also got another one but i forgot what it was . Well it's off home for me now .

taking deep breaths ... deeep breaths .. breathing .........

Well , i have found yet another way to beat the hell out of stress and it was right at home ( well mom and dads place actually ) ...... TALKING TO MOM AND DAD .................

This has been a week of incredable emotional roller coaster ride and all of it good ... well maybe the part about having to talk with my mom and dad ( that's never fun ) ... or so i though . So , add that to the list of stress releivers .

Great family , great friends , great support system ................

( would someone PLEEEAAASE turn off that tear tap already )

Lefty lossy righty tighty

Sqeek squeek sqeek

Is it off yet? Do I need to bring a wrench, (Or spenner) next time?

Hmmmm , funny how some times you can talk to a person you just met not too long ago and there is something there that is just soooo perfect that is feels as if it was always there and the sensation is this wonderfull thing , that it has it's own life and is missd when absent . Sometimes , it is being able to sit and talk with ones family to clear the air and just rid one self of all the bagage that has been carried for who knows how long .

Sometimes it is NONE of those but rather , being able , either by choise or because of other reasons to just be creative ... weather it be through art , music , both , none of it , some it who knows but whatever it is , however it works and for that matter why bit works for some reason seems un-important . All that matters is that the stressers have been either removed or at the very least , reduced and brought down to a level that is workable and managable .

This may not seem significant to any just anyone reading this but to those who have been by my side of late and those who have always been there , they will know what i mean ... they lived it with me .

Lesson for the day then ? Talking is soooooo good for the mind and the soul . Don't worry if the other person is not altogether sure of what YOU are dealing with or rying to make clear , with time , they will . And what will this do for YOU ? it WILL put you on a high that is better than what any drug , ANYWHERE ever made can get you to .

" freeze this moment a little bit longer ..... make the sensation a little bit stronger " ....Getty Lee , RUSH

" Look in to the eyes of the storm , look out to the sea and the skys , look around at the sight and sounds " ... Getty Lee , RUSH

post-7-1083203506.jpg

MJ,

that was SOOOO beautiful. Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing your deepest thoughts here.......