Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
meggy2342000

A younger point of view

Right feel free to give us some tips on how you cope kids.

Tell us how you overcome any problems you have encountered.

How you are feeling and what you think helps to allay fears, etc..

Hi Lesley,

Josh is sound asleep at the moment but tomorrow I will show him your post.

By the way great idea !!!

Debbie

I am an adult now but thought I would post my experience when I was a kid.

First I think I noticed I was different at a young age probably when I was around 3 to 5 years old.

It was hard sometimes as school kids tend to pick on you if you're disabled..

I also found that I didn't let my disability stop me from doing most things. I learned how to ice skate when I was 4, rode a bike when I was around 4 or 5, learned how to swim around 5 or 6, played every sport that I could soccer, baseball, volleyball, basketball, tennis, scuba dive, roller skate but not roller bladding and some golf.. not very good though

It was pretty easy to cope with the fact that I didn't have a foot as my family were awesome in that they always treated me as equal. My parents never gave me special treatment.

I would even wear my leg and play even when I had cysts or boils on it.. Didn't want to be on the sidelines and if I had to take my leg off to have these things taken care of then I coudn't play.. That would be the end of the world to me.

As I grew up and learned all the things that I had learned followed me..

I'm as determined now as I was when I was a kid and it shows in my determination to be a very competitive runner.

I know I'm not a kid but wanted to give my point of view seeing this is all I have ever known.

I think once you find a confidence about yourself then the insecurities disappear. It can be hard but with work and determination it all falls into place. You have to have a good attitude as it's about 100% of the equation.

The reason I love this forum is there are so many people from all over with different reasons for being here and we help each other... I never had support growing up had only really met a few amputees and all of my contact with amputees was with at my check ups... Nobody ever really said life will be ok and you'll find someone one day... So I want to give to others what was never given to me..

I meant to add I hope some of our younger ones post to this as it is a great topic!!

Thank you Lesley for starting the topic it's a great one.

This topic seemed to be my calling for today - I'm only 14 so here goes.

I started my secondary school(2001) a few weeks late (as I had had an op right at the end of the summer) and on crutches so I kind of had things hard from the start there. I didn't keep in contact with many people from my old school so I was starting new like everyone else. I made friends with people and they have been really supportive through the 2 1/2 years I was on crutches. In the summer of 2003 I heard I would be having my leg amputated, it was hard to tell them about it as I didn't know how they would react. I was worried they would desert me or become a bit strange around me. Fortunately they were very supportive and were there for me when I was in hospital and when I got home. On returning to school after my op I had a few shocked looks from people as I had trousers on but no pros at that point. Many of the people at the hospital I had spoken to were surprised I was going to school before I had a leg, but to be honest I was going stir crazy at home doing nothing! People soon got used to it and acted normally towards me. I was like that for about 2 months then I went back to the hospital for a week of intense physio. The monday morning I got back to school after that so many people said how good I was going and how they had never seen me walk before, this was a big boost for my self esteem and it made me realise how low it had been for those past two years.

I am now getting back to doing the things I love, running walking (plus I'm losing all the weight I put on over the two years from doing nothing), my physio is happy with how my running is coming along and he said that when I was walking no one would now be able to tell. This is only 7 months after my op so as you can imagine I'm very happy at the moment! :D

I don't know if it would have been easier to lose my leg when I was an adult or when I was alot younger, but it happened now so I just get on with it. My family have always treated me the same as my brother and sister and have always been there with a shoulder to cry on when I needed it, I know it would have been a hundred times harder had they not been there so I am very greatful to them for that. This summer I am determined to make loads better than the last when I had the op hanging over my head the whole time, then breaking my leg 2 days before my op - which was probably not the best thing to do!

Sorry for rambling so much! It would be interesting to hear how other people who lost their leg as a young person found it.

Liz x

P.S. I just had a water fight with my brother in the back garden - Summer's finally here!

Hi Lizzie and all the other kids (come on, let's hear from all you kiddies out there...!!)

i was ten when i lost my foot in a car accident.

I can only speak from my experience obviously, but i believe it's a lot more easier to deal with when it happens as a child, as you grow with it. Your personality development, who you become as an adult, your dreams, your expectations, etc. also include your physical state. So, the flexibility of acceptance is there. Must be different when it happens later on in life. (i hope that made sense.... :rolleyes: )

My first day back at school wasn't so pleasant. I was so nervous, i threw up all over my dad's car...The other kids were slightly different to me at the beginning but they eventually acted 'normal' around me again. One thing that hurt me most was that before the accident, i was always one of the first to be picked for a team in Phys Ed class as i was really good at sports. After the CA , i was the last one standing there ..... that hurt :(

This was only the first few 'tough' years. After the age of 14 i just shot off, it just went uphill and i did everything any other kid would do. Windsurfing, i even got into the schools JV tennis and softball team when i was 15..., getting drunk at some pretty wild parties (oops, this will probably be sensored, ha!, eh Johnny????) and so on, and so on .... B) i will stop here...

Now, i'm older and wiser :blink: and don't get too fazed by much. I've noticed though, the more 'normal' you go around with it , the more 'normal' people go around with you......

Lizzie, i've read some of your posts and i find you very strong and mature how you are dealing with it. So, you'll be just fine!

So, good luck to all you brave young warriors out there!!

Reply to this posting so you can find and support eachother.

cheerio for now,

Karen

I was 3 when I lost my leg. I got picked on a lot growing up. On top of that I was a major NERD. Some of the kids were really mean and some were nice to me. The nice ones became my friends. Now looking back the mean ones don't mean a thing to me. They are not my enimy, or my friend. They are nothing to me.

The hardest thing I found was I had no amputee friends. I rember my parents car micanic only had one arm. He still works at the same shop and is a really cool guy. I could not run as fast oas other kids. There was only one time in a foot race I didn't come in dead last. I was in first grade and near the end of the race a little girl passed me. I really didn't want to be last AGAIN so I pushed her down. I still feel bad about it but I don't rember anyone saying anything to me.

Hey Eric.... I can't imagine you being a NERD!!!

What's that mean Lilli? I've hear "Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider, girls go to Venus to get more----I mean Girls go to Mars to get more candy bars :rolleyes: