Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ampskier

always be nice

Brenda started and intresting thred about disabled parking and the problems of aperently able-bodied drivers using the spaces. Have you ever challened one of these people?

Have you ever been challenged yourself?

I was having a no leg day once. I was looking for a blue space but it had a car in it. I had to park in the far side of the lot and crutch back to the store. When I saw the car in handicapped parking it had no tag or placard. About that time a black girl came out. I asked her nicely why she'd parked there, making me, a guy with only one leg crutch a long way to the store. She was nice and aplogised and promissed to never park in disabled parking again. I was saticfied with that, as long as she did her promise.

I have called people out for parking in disabled parking without appernet disability. Just be nice. Something like "Excuse me. I noticed you are using disabled parking but you don't apear disabled. Are you?" If somebody asks me like that I'd be happy to explain to the that I have a fake leg and it's sore that day.

If somebody calls you out, even if they are rude, if you nicely explain to them that you are infact disabled they will understand. If they are rude about it, and you're nice back to them they will be very embarressed about being rude.

If you are rude to a person they might get defencive and it could even lead to a fist fight. A fist fight, getting hurt and or arrested is not worth enforcing disabled parking spots. Be nice.

Eric :rolleyes:

If all else fails a sledge hammer works really well at teaching people not to park there cars in disabled spots. Just don't get caught

Another emotive topic :D

I think I have seen and had every type of verbal abuse from the 'frauds' and non-disabled motoring fraternity. The best one yet was when I was in wheelchair and had parked in a disabled space a women came along and pointing at me, commented to her friend in a loud voice 'look at that, special parking for them, they get away with murder'.

I asked her if she would like to be my first victim?

One thing that fascinates me is that they have special parking spaces for mother and child! Sainsbury's has combined the disabled parking with the mother and child parking. So forget shopping at sainsbury's.

But why mother and child parking spaces? Which in my experience are always nearer to the main entrance to the store than the disabled parking spaces.

I just smile now, especially when I see the 'frauds', those who park in the disabled space; put the blue badge in the screen; then run across to the ATM etc. Or the ones with the walking stick walking with a limp! Then they forget about limping.

Still hope is on the horizon, those caught mis-using a blue badge in the UK will be fined up to a £1000. I would also like the authorities to 'take away' the blue badge from the person issued it, if he or she let's their friends, relatives etc use them.

Best regards

Steve

I've had a couple encounters with people that shouldn't be parking in handicap spaces. When I confronted one woman, she very abruptly said, "so what are you on handicap patrol?" I won't repeat my answer, don't wanna get booted off.!! :P Some people are so damn RUDE, it makes me sick. But ya know, there's so many WACKOS out there today, you really must be careful about approaching anyone, they may just go ballistic on ya and no telling what could happen. :o So I pretty much ignore the screwballs now, I've decided that their ignorance is not worth getting all worked up over.

One day I was getting out of my car and this person was standing there looking at my handicap license plate. I very politely said to him, "nice car, isn't it?" He walks off and shakes his head. I wished he would have asked me, what my problem was, to which I would have replied, "my leg sometimes falls off, if I have to walk very far"!!!! :lol:

Sheila, LBK

Maine- USA

Keep Smiling :)

I live in the UK and do not qualify for any form of disability allowance....either tax break, Freedom Pass on public transport or blue badge. So the authorities do not consider me to be 'disabled' (which is nice I guess), and my prosthesis is not considered to be in the same league as a crutch or wheelchair for their definition of a walking aid. Gee - if I took my lef off I'm sure I could carry on walking.

The fact that I develop blisters after walking 700 metres counts for nothing because their limitation is 200 metres. This is all fine if the system were fair but it is not.

What I would like to know is how in the Sam Hill did Heather qualify for a blue badge when she is more able bodied than most of us?

Disgruntled.

Hi Mandy,

I shall try and un-disgruntle you :)

Please bear with me as I explain why amps are not 'seen' as disabled. And it may explain why Heather has a blue badge.

The Gov of the day, disbanded the Disability Agency in 1990, this was the agency for all things disabled. They then reduced funding for Amps, so by 2002 the funding was less than 50% of the 1990 funding. During this and since over a million unemployed people were put on the sick and disabled to politically massage the unemployment figures to make politicians look good, and keep them in office.

However, the Gov's from 1990 have with great success, bankrupted the UK!

So now the Gov has realised that it is costing a fortune to pay sick and disabled benefits. So they are making sure that it is virtually impossible to claim benefits unless you get an expert to make the claim for you. And unless you are in a coma you are fit for work. Even if no one will employ you, you are fit for work, therefore no benefits, no money tough! So in the case of Amps, they have increased funding for prosthesis's so Amps don't need DLA mobility! Because Amps have 'two' legs and are able to walk, and go to work.

As regards Disability Living Allowance mobility component, in one report I read of someone able to walk is an Amputee with a prosthesis. On the DLA form and I repeat what I said on an earlier post, and include another point:

Are you able to walk 50 yards? In my case no; not without crutches. (I was classified as at medium risk of harm without them by Occupational Therapists.)

How far can you walk without suffering pain or discomfort?

What is the worst case scenario regarding your ability to walk. As in a bad day, how often etc? (This is not the actual question but it means the same.)

I'm having a bad month due to bruising so I am using my wheelchair.

As regards Blue badges, there are several ways of obtaining a blue badge:

Automatically on qualifying for DLA High rate mobility.

Through your GP.

Through Social services, who are the issuers of the blue badge.

I can only guess in Heathers case as regards her blue badge, but her GP may have issued her one, or at the time after the accident social services or again at that time she may have qualified for DLA mobility.

The reason so many Amp's are being refused DLA and Blue badges is political, economics and 'historical' time. because prior to this Gov's purge against disabled people it was the norm for Amp's to be given DLA and Blue Badges.

Now the really perverse part, if a disabled person makes a complaint regarding discrimination against a disabled person, then the disabled person has to prove that they are disabled. The DDA act 1998/2004 states the criteria for a person to be 'classified' as disabled. The law gives as an example an leg Amputee!

So Mandy, sit down, with a cup of coffee and write down how being an Amp affects you as in: pain factors, worse day scenario's, how many hours a day do you wear your prosthesis, how many times a week etc. Then ask Social services for a Blue Badge application form and then go to either your GP, Physio, Occupational therapist; Social worker if you have any of these and ask them to sign it for you. If they refuse ask them to re-consider explaining all the points you have written down. As regards DLA, get a welfare rights expert to make your claim or appeals.

You can find these at County councils, Citizens Advice Bureau's, solicitors.

I hope this helps.

best regards

Steve

(Who needs a cup of coffee after writing this :D )

Hi Steve

Firstly, thank you so much for your lengthy response. I had a feeling it was due to changes in the law and you have really outlined what has happened.

I have never requested DLA as I earn a very decent salary and do not really need the additional income. However, parking restrictions (residents only) around my office make it difficult to drive into work so I was hoping to make use of disabled parking for this purpose. There are a few disabled bays dotted around the neighbourhood.

I can accept the fact that I am not seen as disabled (in truth I feel I am not), and that there are lots of other people more deserving, but its the double standards that really hack me off. When I see what appears to be perfectly able bodied people using disabled bays while I get blisters while walking into work or coming back from shopping I get upset.

I think the law has also changed as far as GPs issuing blue badges goes - you can now only get one through your local council. I'll draft a lengthy letter to them but will not hold my breath as they are the same people who have refused me a Freedom Pass based on the same yardsticks.

Sorry - I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening!

I've been turned down for the Blue Badge in the past and have appealed successfully. I said I wouldn't be using the spaces unless absolutely necessary and I don't get any other benefits from society whatsoever.

I've not been refused since, though when I first did this, I was asked to go to they're office for an interview, and it was on the first floor. The lift wasn't working, so I had to go up the stairs... I'm sure they didn't set this up, but I know I was watched going back down after the interview. Not getting stressed, and being nice to them I think works. If your case is put properly I think they should allow it, from their point of view refusing people such as ourselves gets rid of the fake applications, if they see you are genuine I reckon they should be OK. If they still refuse, they're in the wrong job, and you could talk to your MP, that's what he/she's there for.

You never know they may just give it to you to get rid of you...

I don't know anything about Heather, but whatever the rules were when she first became an amputee are irrelavant, you have to renew every three years... this did until a couple of years ago include answering all the same questions every time about distance to walk etc. and she would have had to lie about those to keep it. Now I think they just ask you if your 'condition' has changed since you last renewed, which is better for us, as it's unlikely any of us will have grown a new limb!

FYI regarding the How did Heather get her blue badge question, this is the response that I got today.

Heather does have the occasional day when she has a saw limb so needs to use her blue badge, but on the whole she doesn't use it.

About getting or not permit to park on a handcap space in UK !!!!

I am so glad to live in USA. Maybe between USA and UK they could get a half/half, middle point. In USA everybody has back problem or have not always the real thing but get the permit to park on a handicapped parking space while in UK, a real AK or BK amputee has to be determined by someone else how much he or she hurts when walking or how far can walk? Boy I sure am happy being an aka in USA

In the USA all you have to do is get a Dr to fill out the paperwork and sign it. They never check so if you want on just pay off the MD and you get it.

I'm discussted with the very overweight people getting blue cards. Maybe if they walked a little more they'd lose a little poundage and not be "disabled" anymore

Americans are getting so FAT that the Earth is begining to wobble as it spinns because of the collective weight of America.

Lets lose a little weight you lazy fat @$$es. You are making MY country look bad! :huh:

Just to clarify the UK system for our US members:

A number of criteria are used to determine whether you qualify for any type of disability concession. Some are considered to be major and automatically qualify a person. These are things like being blind, having an upper limb amputation (arms), etc. Having a lower limb amputation does not automatically qualify you and so they ask you to state how it affects your life. They then evaluate these sorts of applications on a case by case basis.

As Doggie has already stated the sorts of questions asked are:

How far can you walk before suffering 'severe discomfort'? (my favourite as I don't consider chafing and blisters to be severe discomfort but it still affects my ability to walk)

How does your disability affect your everyday activities?

Can you walk further than 200 yards without suffering pain?

...etc.

So I guess its good that not every Tom Dick and Harry automatically gets a blue badge, but I think some of the tests they use are a little at odds. For example, if I had said I use a walking stick instead of a prosthesis I probably would have got it. :huh:

FYI regarding the How did Heather get her blue badge question, this is the response that I got today.
Heather does have the occasional day when she has a saw limb so needs to use her blue badge, but on the whole she doesn't use it.

This saw limb.... I've not heard of one of those before, does it have a handgrip at one end, and teeth all the way down one side? and why does she only have it some days and not others?

Mandy

Have you claimed the higher rate DLA at all, i am a rbk and i get the higher rate, when i go back to work i can claim disability tax credit as well. I have now recieved my blue badge and i have 1/2 price bus pass for use on local transport.

I would have thought you should be entitled to this as well.

Maybe you just didn`t answer the questions on the forms in enough detail. I answered by telling them exactly what my physio`s told me my limits should be, although i do not take their advice to the letter totally, i work my own ways round some problems, these are the people who are experienced in these matters as far as your limits are concerned bearing in mind that you don`t want to put yourself in any danger.

Also if you get your doc to sign for you you will hten be issued a blue badge.

I'm stunned... the 'gateway' questions to even be considered for DLA require you to say your....

"Care needs are either needing help from someone else to do personal things for you eg-

eating and drinking,

walking,

getting in or out of bed,

washing,

dressing,

breathing,

bathing,

sleeping,

going to the toilet,

shaving.

or

Needing someone else around to make sure you are not at risk of injuring yourself or others.

Being unable to prepare a meal for yourself is also counted as a "care need"."

It's not for me to question you or your right to this allowance, but the average bk amputee cannot possibly answer that they need "help from someone else" to do any of these things, can they? I'm an 'average' AK, and I haven't needed any of this for twenty years!.

I have a very simple solution to those jerks who park in the accesable spots WITHOUT a proper permit . I just BLOCK them in and take my sweet time . I had one jerk with the IQ of a bent fork tell me that if i didn't move my truck , he would run it over . After i picked myself off the florr from laughin so hard , i reminded him that my truck has more room BEHIND the rear seat than his itty bitty little junk car had in TOTAL size . ( ok , that isn't all, i said but .... ) .

When I gets mad , i go shopping . hehehehehehehehe.........

Meggy and OBL

I don't want to claim DLA as I don't need it. I only mentioned it as the criteria seem to be the same as for blue badge and Freedom Pass.

I have been an AKA all my life (30 years now) and have also never required the sort of assistance described in OBL's post. I can only assume this is used in benefits cases and not simply transport concessions. I haven't seen those questions asked in my applications (blue badge and freedom pass).

Meggy, yes my doc did sign the form and they contacted her to get a full breakdown of how it affected me. So she must have not answered to their satisfaction as well as me!

Ah well, politics and economics as Doggie says.

I haven't seen those questions asked in my applications (blue badge and freedom pass).

They are for DLA, not for the Blue Badge, which is merely a parking concession. The DLA is proper money, so you have to jump through more hoops (ironic really, as if you could jump through the hoops, you wouldn't qualify by definition :lol: ).

A little off subject, but one problem with getting some other concessions these days, is that where you used to be able to say you were 'Registered Disabled' to obtain them, you no longer can, as the register no longer exists. It was deemed to be discriminatory in it's own right, by the very nature of it's own existance. Sometimes the only evidence (apart from actually removing my leg) that I have of my disability is a photocopy of by Blue Badge. As that is renewed every three years and the rules on who gets it can and do change from time to time, there is no guarantee I will always have that.

Therefore these allowances such as the DLA are used instead of the Register of disabled persons, the question is asked "are you on any benefits?" if the answer is no, then you don't receive any other concessions. Although this is with the exception of the Blue Badge and the travel tokens/freedom pass scheme (quite rightly).

The way of things is to treat amputees as not disabled enough to warrant any concessions.